The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 18, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Chris_B

1903A3 experts: a question

I have a 1943 Remington that I made into an A4. Don't start, it was already drilled and tapped before I got it

I use an unissued C stock on the rifle. The steel insert for the rear bolt that holds the action to the trigger guard is my concern, the insert resembles a roll pin in a way, and the opening in it makes it resemble a 'C' in cross-section

The opening of the 'C' faces directly rearward. Logic says that this should face forward, if maximum advantage is to be realized

Please see image below:

Am I worried about nothing, or should I remove and re-install the insert 180* degrees from it's current position?
Old October 18, 2012, 05:33 PM   #2
HiBC

I'd leave it alone.The function of the sleeve is to prevent the wood from compressing under the tang.If the wood compresses,without the sleeve or ferrule,I think it is called,the receiver is distorted when the screws are tightened.

That ferrule,along with the screw,are not intended to be recoil absorbing features.Accuracy is best if the screw does not contact the stock
If you are retro'ing a drilled and tapped 03A3 receiver to an 03A4,Good for you!!
Old October 18, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Chris_B

If there's no recoil there, there's no problem. I feel better

Already made the rifle. Shoots well

Old October 19, 2012, 02:09 AM   #4
HiBC

Very nice!!Its not easy to find a stock with the grain running properly through the wrist then straight through the forend.Nice fiddleback figure,too.

IMO,that Springfield is lucky it found you.Well done!
Old October 19, 2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Archarris

Just out of curiosity, what is the fiddleback figure?
Old October 19, 2012, 10:53 AM   #6
PetahW

"Fiddleback" refers to the ladder-like cross-graining in the wood, reminiscent of the fancy wood often found on the backs of violins (fiddles).

Old October 19, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
MJ1

;)

I'm no expert but the recoil energy dumps into the recoil lug or lugs on most rifles. Like the others have said the insert is a distance piece to prevent crushing of the stock and binding of the action and trigger.

Cheers
..MJ..

- David Hackworth -
Old October 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #8
RC20

Enjoy the gun.

If drilled and tapped no crime committed.
Old October 19, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
tahunua001

I would assume that the roll pin is pretty much just there to keep the action screw from digging into the wood. if you torque your gun to the point that the roll pin bulges then the wood is still going to split.

I don't know a lot about mechanical engineering or woodworking but I am thinking you may be getting worked up over nothing.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Chris_B

Thanks all. I was merely worried about any recoil imparted on the edges of the ferrule imparting shock to the wood. Since the open portion of the insert faces aft, this is a chisel-like action if true

Since it's not, no worries. I do appreciate the mechanical function of the insert, being a competent amateur mechanic

HiBC, Thanks. I've been admiring this stock for over almost 40 years, but it was never put on a rifle until my Father donated it to my 'rebuild a drilled 03A3 receiver' project. I even had to drill the hole for the forward barrel band. He just stored it for almost 50 years. No cartouches except for the 'K' in the cut-off well, which I believe is Keystone.

My Father bought that stock and two others for his 03A3 in the '60s, all USGI surplus. Paid five bucks each. He had an eye for wood; all of the stocks he bought had the grain running this way but only this one has the fancy wood. One of the three might be a USMC sniper C stock. One of them unfortunately developed a crack recently. Fixable, but too bad all the same. I have no idea why my stock was never issued, except maybe it was too pretty. Nice hunk of firewood