The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 21, 2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Metal god

I think it all comes down to cleaning your guns correctly . I think your right If you use the wrong tools and the wrong metods you will get bad results .I do take my 10/22 apart every time and only run the snake from chamber to crown . That being said , my 10/22 is my least important when it comes to the bore and crown but I still take care of it . I think I mentioned my slurry theory in a previos post above . I believe that goes for ARs as well .
Old October 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #27
m_liebst

I don't always clean my 10/22 right after shooting it. It has layed in the carrying case for a few days a couple of times. If I'm spending a few days at my parents property, I'll just bring along a bore snake, and a few solvent soaked patches if the .22 shooting goes into overtime.
Old October 23, 2012, 05:50 PM   #28
Valerko

I don't believe any modern firearm needs to be always squeake clean.
That being said , I can se that it will hurt it.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:17 PM   #29
Hansam

I've got a 10/22 that's got nearly 10k rounds through it. The last time it was cleaned... nearly 10k rounds ago.

So far it keeps on functioning just fine. That said I DO do a field strip and wipe the interior parts down with a cloth soaked with Militec-1 oil every couple thousand rounds (basically when I remember to do it). Not exactly a cleaning, more like just making sure everything is coated in oil so as not to rust.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:01 AM   #30
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Isn't this why they just recently came out with the 10/22 takedown rifle in stainless?

So that it fits in the dishwasher.

I clean my 10/22s after use, even if it is just a quick bore snake chamber to muzzle and/or a little lube just to make sure that all keeps on being copacetic.

I generally do a complete tear down at least once a year on all of my guns; regardless of useage, I like to see how they are "wearing" and also to make sure that lube is where it should be.

Now, go figure...
Old October 24, 2012, 08:30 AM   #31
Rifleman1776

My "every 5 years" reply was really a tongue in cheek thing.
I do clean mine more often than that, probably twice a year.
But, fact is, it was bought used to be my truck gun, a real beater. It kicked around on the floor behind the seat for many years and worked whenever asked to.
It is now near my back door and is my 'critter gitter". There are few mechanical things I have ever owned that worked as reliably as this little rifle.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:44 PM   #32
Mr Budha

On my Marlin 60 I usually only clean the barrel because I'm timid about taking apart the action. It's seen maybe a total of 350 -400 rounds but still shoots great. I'll eventually take it apart but like many others said, I'll do it when I see a degrade in performance.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #33
K1500

If you are taking the barrel off to clean from the back, you are doing way too much work. If you can't stand the idea of cleaning from the muzzle, a bore snake is significantly faster than removing the barrel. I have seen a write up where someone drilled a hole in the back of the receiver to allow cleaning from the rear. Of course, you could just get a takedown model and clean the easy way. I clean my non takedown from the front.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:05 PM   #34
Ken - Oh

^^^^ And that is exactly an example of what I said earlier:
Quote:
I've heard it said that more damage is done by cleaning than not cleaning.
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old October 27, 2012, 12:06 AM   #35
K1500

I agree.
Old March 26, 2017, 10:25 PM   #36
Mark63

Hey everyone,
Relatively old post, here, but here are my thoughts. As a cop, we cleaned our weapons thoroughly after every range qualification. The basic reason is safety...you want the weapon to go bang when you need it to save your life or that of someone else. But another BIG reason is due to the quality of the ammo used. We always used cheap, dirty-burning ammunition for the range for qualification purposes. Nothing worse than cheap, dirty-burning ammo to gum up your revolver or semi-auto. However, I discovered that if you use very clean, high-quality ammo, it hardly gets dirty at all, after say 100 rounds. The problem is that this kind of ammo is much more expensive than the re-loaded ammo we usually used for qualifications. So, one answer to your question deals with what kind of ammo are you using? The cheap stuff, or the good stuff? Further, even if you use the good stuff, a semi-auto needs to be oiled, but not over-oiled, on the rails of the bolt. It's amazing how some shooters put a ton of oil in there thinking it will slide better. In actuality, oil attracts dirt and it is more prone to dirt accumulation and misfire if you use too much oil. So you have to find that sweet spot. A small drop or two spread on the right places is all you need on the bolt. Most S&W handguns, for instance, need a grand total of three small drops...period. So, I would consider the kind of ammo you are using, keep it high-grade, and keep the amount of oil you use to the bear minimum in accordance to your owner's manual. DO NOT OVER OIL. It does more harm than good. If you are using cheap ammo, I'd clean it much more often than if you're using high-quality clean-burning ammo. If you shoot mostly lead bullets, put a few jacketed rounds through it once in a while to help clean out the lead build up. Those are my thoughts.
Old March 28, 2017, 06:58 AM   #37
Mobuck

If this is a new rifle, I'd say cleaning it every 500 rounds is OK. After maybe 2K, you probably don't need to clean until it starts losing accuracy or malfunctioning.
You DO need to get a muzzle protector and use a rod(or a cable pull-thru) w/brush rather than just a bore snake. Snake is OK for quick cleaning of fouling but won't remove the heavy lead deposit that builds up in some new guns with exceedingly rough bores.
I only clean 22's when they start to choke or have been subjected to serious "environmental challenges".
Old March 28, 2017, 01:43 PM   #38
pete2

On the 10/22s( Ihave 3) I don' t remember.
Old March 28, 2017, 10:03 PM   #39
hornetguy

I've heard the big boys down at the truck stop say that you should put at least 500 rds through a new 10/22 to smooth up the bore, then clean it thoroughly, and don't worry about cleaning it again until accuracy starts to degrade.

I usually clean my 22's every 2nd or 3rd range trip, depending on my mood, mostly.

Cleaning a gun won't damage it at all..... IF you're doing it correctly.

I've become addicted to boresnakes, pulling them through from the breech end.

My biggest heartburn comes from the built up gunk in the action, which can cause sluggish bolt movement. That bothers me a lot more than anything in the bore. Soft lead bullets just don't foul up a bore much at all, in 22's.
Old March 28, 2017, 10:24 PM   #40
scottycoyote

i dont shoot mine much except for hunting......i dont clean them until the accuracy drops off. I have a 1022 in 17hm2....i do run a dry boresnake down it every 50 rounds or so due to the possibility of buildup and a kablam
Old March 28, 2017, 10:37 PM   #41
john in jax

I am a big fan of the 10/22, but only have two at the moment.

Unless I know I am headed back to the range in the next week or so I clean the barrel and chamber after every trip. Depending on who all goes, and what other rifles make the trip one of the 10/22's may see anywhere between 100-500 rounds per trip.

No matter how many rounds they see, the bolts come out and the rifles get a much more thorough cleaning about once a year. I have seen too many guns ruined by lack of simple maintenance, I don't care if it is 200 or 2,000 rounds my guns are going to get cleaned up.
Old March 30, 2017, 10:46 PM   #42
50 shooter

How many people clean their 10/22 mags?

In all the years that I've had mine, I've pulled them apart a few times and cleaned all the moving parts and the inside of the drum. Gunk does get down inside of them and the wax on the bullets can rub off inside the mag. They're pretty easy to clean and put back together, you can probably find something on it on YouTube to help you out.

Other then that I just wipe down parts and put everything back together on the rifle, 10/22's are pretty reliable when they're dirty. I've never done a deep cleaning on mine and it runs all the time, keep it lubed and all the moving parts will run properly all the time.

For those of you that don't understand the cleaning does more damage concept, what they're referring to is the chamber/throat area. Running a brush through it does cause wear and that's why people say to use a bore guide. Same with cleaning from the muzzle end, they do make protectors to keep the crown from being damaged. Another reason people don't like to clean the wrong way, you'll be dumping all the carbon and other junk back into the receiver and possibly down into the trigger group. As for cleaning rods, that's another issue that will get you as many different answers as people that would post an answer.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 31, 2017, 04:04 PM   #43
Itsa Bughunt

Between my Dad and a stint in the military, I'm in the habit of cleaning when I get home from shooting. I cheat a little with an ultrasonic, but I still do the bores by hand.