The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Black powder... smokeless powder... stored together ???

I've always kept the 2 apart... I reload alot of cartridges, & inherited the FIL's powders after he died, so I have alot of different powders... I'm completing a walk in gun safe room, in which I'll also be doing my reloading... so I'm incorporating a nice powder storage area... since the room is ( supposed to be ) fire proof, do you think it should be ok to put my cans of black powder in the gun powder library, or do you think it's best to keep them apart ???
Old October 17, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Rebel9793

I dont think it would hurt to keep them together as long as theyre clearly marked so you dont make the mistake of confusing it with the others.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:16 PM   #3
g.willikers

I always have stored both in the same place.
Black powder, the real stuff, is more dangerous if dropped, but probably not any more risk from fire.
If fire reaches either one, you won't want to be there.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

The dropping part for black powder is a myth.
Store all powders in original containers. In same room is no problem.
Old October 18, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I was always curious how the more "detonating" effect of black powder, would react with a larger quantity of smokeless in a large fire ???... probably differently if they were all mixed, & not separate in original containers... but since my old powder storage / reloading area was just outside my bedroom, I always kept them apart... I think I'll just add them to the new powder library
Old October 18, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Slamfire

I got to talk to an Insensitive Munitions expert, the military segregates munitions by type in storage. His bad example was of people putting all sorts of different chemicals in the same building as munitions (lawn mower gas, paint thinner) and different munitions, which only a few are gunpowder based. This stuff will outgas and the combination of weird molecules has caused Kaboom’s, or at least it will take very little to cause a Kaboom with some of the gas mixtures that resulted.

Call me paranoid but my black powder is stored well away from my smokeless and my primers. I understand black powder is real easy to ignite and I don’t want it to be the initiator for something worse.

This house hold gunpowder explosion is blamed on rags, cleaning chemicals, but it lifted the patio slab!

I found on a different site more pictures, the damage was severe.

Explosion rocks Representative Wood’s home

5 Oct 2012

http://www.minicassia.com/news/artic...9bb30f31a.html

Quote:
The explosion managed to move about 4,000 pounds of patio concrete.

“It was so powerful it lifted the whole concrete slab up and moved it a couple of inches to the south. The patio roof collapsed. The flames shot out from underneath,” Martin said.