The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2012, 12:38 PM   #26
tahunua001

Quote:
One was designed to be manufactured as cheaply as possible, the other was not.
I'm going to go ahead and raise a flag on that one. the M9 was manufactured for the US armed forces. believe it or not I noted that a great deal of what we were using was complete and utter crap. every day supplies from toilet paper to ball point pens come in boxes that say that they are made by blind people. you could barely sign your name a dozen times before those pens broke and try wiping with confidence when you read that on your TP roll.

our food came in boxes that say fit for military or prison consumption. imagine how yummy that chow was.

the military has proven time and again that their largest priory is to go with the lowest bidder that can get the job done. despite my loathing for Colt I must say that I think that they can definitely make a better M4 than remington/DPMS/Bushmaster.

the M9 was a cheap alternative to the 1911 and made the US NATO compliant by switching to a 9mm.

and it is widely known that the Glock 17 was invented to be a cheap alternative to H&K and other high price european arms manufactures of the time.

BOTH WERE MADE TO BE CHEAP BUT EFFECTIVE!!!
Old October 18, 2012, 01:43 PM   #27
iMagUdspEllr

Its not a good idea to compare guns solely on cost to manufacture (and to buy) alone. The Glock's cost to manufacture is a side effect of the simplicity of the design. Its cost is not a side effect of low quality materials or sub-par manufacturing/assembly. However, the M9 is a slightly more complex design that costs slightly more to produce. So, on paper, it could be argued that they are the same value (bang/buck). This is why it would be inaccurate to call these guns "cheap".

However, the Glock has proven to perform better in reliability and torture tests (while performing equally in all other categories). So, that communicates to me that the Glock is a higher value gun than the M9.

Of course, the physical beauty, ergonomics, and trigger aren't the best on the Glock. Those are subjective categories that might sway the decision for the buyer. So, OP, you should handle these guns and shoot them if possible. That will help you make the decision.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:24 AM   #28
Sharpsdressed Man

These kind of arguments are getting ridiculous. The Beretta design was refined first from the Walther P38 locking system, used in the Beretta 1951, then revised to a double column gun for commercial market in the 70's. It was then refined several times before adoption by our military. Do you really think no one tested the guns along the way? Then came Glock, with a new striker design, and mated it with modern polymers and some ideas from the HK VB70 and other striker fired guns. Both are fine pistols, and both have weaknesses, as do ALL guns. Customer support from both firms is very good, and it would take something on the level of a hard core IDPA level shooter to wear either out, and those guys rebulid 1911's, etc, every other year anyway. Buy and use whichever one you are more comfortable with, and quit looking back. I have a Beretta 92FS, and two Glocks in 10mm. None are lacking in durability or accuracy.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:45 AM   #29
TheSmilingSwordsman

Quote:
Buy and use whichever one you are more comfortable with, and quit looking back.
Yup.

There will always be so called experts who will tell you that gun X is far superior to gun Y and vice versa. Find what you like and shoot the heck out of it.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #30
10mm4ever

The Beretta won the military trials not once but twice. The Block wasnt even a candidate.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:37 PM   #31
allen13

I have both and like both. They are just different guns. Go to the range and try both; see which one you like the best and fits your style, even if it takes a couple of times. They are both going to last you a long time. You will find some people strongly in one camp or the other. But, your the one who is going to be using it. Have fun!!!
Old October 19, 2012, 02:42 PM   #32
Strafer Gott

Word dat, but I still like my 17L. I like the 92S as well, which is the Beretta I have.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:54 PM   #33
rgillis

This is a predicament that almost everyone finds themselves facing. I have found the best course of action to take is to flip a coin, and buy the one the coin tells you to buy and then 6 months later buy the other.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:25 PM   #34
tahunua001

am I the only one that finds the OPs, distance from this thread strange?
no amplifying information on intended use, budget, or training/experience?
Old October 19, 2012, 11:45 PM   #35
testuser

Glock vs. Beretta.

Well...

These two have fundamentally different trigger types, so that should be the deciding factor. If you like the SA/DA trigger, maybe you feel like the heavy first pull is a better "safety", or desire a manual safety, then that's the Beretta. Pre-cocked striker with no manual safety, you'll get a more consistent pull, so long travel and light pull, then go with the Glock.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:48 PM   #36
9mm

5 days 37 posts, OP is gone?

I am staying with Glock for carry, most LEO use them, so does the FBI in 40 cal. I wanted to go with the Beretta 92fs but the trigger system is what threw me off. I heard it can be disabled by that small pin that runs along the grip of the gun. I know when I was cleaning my Beretta 21a I hit the little pin and the trigger became useless.
Old October 20, 2012, 06:34 PM   #37
Captain H

There is no pin that renders the 92fs useless. The 21 is a completely different gun that the 92 or any other fullsize that beretta makes for that matter.

If you mean the takedown lever, well that was pure hollywood and is not true. It would be easier to engage the magazine release that to do that with the takedown lever.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #38
pete2

Get the M9, life is too short to shoot an ungly gun.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:11 PM   #39
pgdion

92FS/M9 is a little big for carry but other than that, these guns rock. Best 9's out there. Way better than the glock imo.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:36 PM   #40
MonsterB

Quote:
Get the M9, life is too short to shoot an ungly gun.
Not necessarily true. Life is short, and if you must shoot, you could do much worse than shooting a Glock. At least you will be shooting, and not trying to figure out why your gun doesnt work. If there is one thing a Glock excells at, its plain old shooting. Ugly to some, maybe, and I also appreciate a fine looking gun, but I also think Glock makes one of the highest performing guns on the market. I have owned 4 Glocks and never onnce had the desire to get an M9, or any Beretta. I still dont, and I have semi's from quite a few manufacturers.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:40 PM   #41
pete2

I've seen more malfunctions with Glocks than 92's. It sure embarrasses the Glock guys especially after all the bragging, especially when it's a .40 that blows the hull.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:45 PM   #42
Slotback

I say get what fits your hand best and go with that.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:56 PM   #43
Sharpsdressed Man

Beretta. Because you can't put custom wood on a Glock so easy......[IMG][/IMG]