The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 9, 2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Tangentabacus

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Trying to find a really good way to mount optics between my carry handle and F post...

Like this but for an AR-15.

I have a Colt AR... I want to keep the carry handle and keep the super rugged and reliable feel of iron sights but enhance that with some optics inbetween... I think I remember seeing a picture somewhere of a dude getting out of water with this red dot looking thing that mounted on a weird looking mount on top of his front hand guards. I forked out for a great gun I need to start forking out for an equally great set up on the gun.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
lmccrock

How about this? Otherwise, Google "cantilever carry handle mount".
Old October 9, 2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Tangentabacus

Close... I saw a picture once of an optic that was mounted onto the actual hand guard. The cantilever mounts aren't quite what I'm thinking of... You retain full functionality of your iron sights but just have an optic between them.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:09 AM   #4
lmccrock

If you have a carry handle, you probably have an A2 or older handguard and those are too unstable, and move too much, to mount optics. The cantilever mount places the optic in line with the sights so both are visible. The mount has to match the optic to some extent, but it was common to put EOtechs in line. "Co-witness" is what it is called.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Crow Hunter

Do you have a removable carry handle?

If so you could just chop the carry handle with a dremel and keep the rear sight portion and create this yourself:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-T...ight%20l8a.htm

Personally, I like:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-t...buis-qd-lt-103

If you don't have a removable carry handle and you don't want to use a cantilever mount, your best bet would be getting a drop in free float rail.

This is what I use on my rifles, and it was quick/easy to install:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_D...p/dd-10001.htm

If you don't use a Free Float rail that is tied into the upper somehow, you won't be able to hold zero (the handguards wiggle) and I honestly don't know if it will work like this. I ASSuME it will based on seeing this done with rifles with monolithic railed uppers.

But, there is some flex with the DD Omega rails that I have when you push hard on them and I believe it might cause a zero shift.

Removeable handle is best, cantilever/ARMS SWAN sleeve is 2nd best, FF Rails would be my last choice.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
Eghad

The hand guard was probably a free floated one with rails. The optic was probably mounted on a riser.

NRA Life Member