The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2012, 10:32 AM   #1
loganclj

CZ 40b

The gun shop that I usually buy has a new cz 40b in stock. He has had it for some time now and I am thinking of buying it. I did some research on it and found nothing but positive reviews. I know the gun is no longer made so I think it would be nice for my collection. Ive never handled it or asked the price. What would be a gd price on this gun? I havent been able to find any new ones for sale online so I dont have anything to compare it to.
Thanks
Old February 12, 2012, 11:44 AM   #2
UZO

Great gun... have put about 500+rnds thru mine, flawless shoot! Got mine NIB from CDNN a couple years ago for $270... but that's history!!
Now, NIB should be somewhere in the $350-375 area... over $400 gets alittle crazy unless you really want one. But it IS a real good pistola!
Anything UNDER $350, jump on it and run quickly!!
Old February 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Five years ago (March of 2007) CDNN was blowing them out for around $325. Local gun shop had one he got from CDNN marked at $375, and that was without a lot of mark-up. He bought it to see what it was and basically wanted to cover his cost plus shipping and few bucks for his time.

I looked them up after I saw that one and I found nothing but positive reviews. One of these days maybe I'll get to shoot one.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Microgunner

I bought this one last year for $300 OTD and it is, without a doubt, the finest $300 firearm I've ever bought.
It's worth far more than the $300 I paid IMO.

Old February 12, 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
CLC

I also love mine. I've put 1000 rds through it without a hitch. Imo its one of the finest shooting 40s out on the market.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
UZO

I guess time fly's when you're havin' fun...
Checked my original CDNN invoice dated Sep-03, my 40B was purchased NIB for $269.99!!...
Ohhhh, for the good-old-days!!
Old February 12, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

I bought one back in the day, for $275 plus $25 shipping. Good gun. I later sold it when I couldn't quite fall in love with the .40 round. I'd like to get another one, some day, as I'm now more ".40 friendly" than I was back then.

The 40B is one of the most trouble-free of the generally trouble-free CZs.

The standard CZ-75B .40 mag will work in the gun, but has a different base plate that isn't as "cosmetic" (doesn't have the slanted base). You'll see a small gap at the front when using the standard mag. You might be able to get more base plates for the 40B from CZ. Maybe. Don't buy 40B mags if you can get the far cheaper, NEW Mec-Gar mags for the 75B. More rounds and a very good mag.

Aftermarket parts will be a problem -- grips, sights, etc. The sights were designed to use the Colt Defender sight system dovetails, front and rear. Aftermarket grips may be almost non-existent.

CZ considers it a "compact," but it's just about a full-size gun.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:13 PM   #8
wnycollector

I'm a happy CZ-40b owner here. I have ~3K rounds down the pipe and I can say for sure that the $280 I spent on this pistol was well worth it There is nothing like smoothing the trigger out by shooting a few thousand rounds. Now it's the equal of either of my West German P220 or P226. It is accurate, reliable and very well made.

Over the years, I have dressed it up with a set of Hakan Pek half and half grips and it now rides in a HBE COM3 IWB holster. My next upgrade is a set of night sights.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:50 PM   #9
loganclj

Well I called the gun shop today. He actually has 2 of them in stock. BUT The price tag is $440. Should I buy or pass? I would like to own one since they are no longer in production, but I dont want to over pay.
Old February 13, 2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Pass at $440, but keep you eye open for a used 40B, or a lower price.

If you can get one for $275 - $350, (the lower price for one used) you will have done well.

You might try haggling with that gunshop owner. I have a feeling the guns have been there for a while, at that price.
Old February 13, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11
chris in va

Tell him $350 cash, I bet he accepts.
Old February 14, 2012, 06:41 AM   #12
larryh1108

You've just read some nice reviews on this gun. They don't make it any more. It interests you. This is 2012, not 2003. Don't let $100 or less get in the way of a nice gun. The one's I've seen sold lately have been around $399 and used for ~$350. Buy it. You won't be sorry. I don't get people passing up nice guns that are not made any more for $50, just to make a point.
Old February 14, 2012, 07:32 AM   #13
UZO

Think larry is kinda right... If you REALLY want a gun, that's not being made any more and you're gonna keep it a LONG time, a 'couple dollars' shouldn't be an issue unless you're really on a tight budget. What I've found is that in six months you'll probably forget what you paid for the gun and just enjoy havin' it!!
Totally agree with chris, offer him $375, he may counter or not, if he accepts you have a real good deal on a excellent pistol!!
Just make sure it's NIB at that price.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Have two of them. One is a 2006 model I paid $350 for two years ago and the other is a 2001 model I paid $329 for a couple months back. The CZ 40B is one of the finest 40 S&W's ever made. Certainly one of the most accurate I have ever owned. The older models have a stainless barrel, the newer models have a blued barrel.

A couple months ago there was a thread on the best kept secret in semi-autos. This is it. CZ is an extremely high quality maker that is often overlooked. Even at $450, the gun is well worth the price.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee
The older models have a stainless barrel, the newer models have a blued barrel.
As far as I know, the standard barrel for any CZ is carbon steel. They DO NOT rust easily.

It certainly wasn't stainless when the 40B was first introduced and I don't think they changed when they shipped more a few years later. I don't even think the stainless models have stainless barrels, but I've never had one and am not sure.

I suspect that barrels that are darker haven't been blued, but "carburized," a form of surface hardening and a more recent production change by CZ.

If yours is actually blued, somebody probably did that after the fact, or the carburization just hasn't worn off. Did you buy it new, or used?

Removing the carburization -- the black color is a residue from the hardening process -- probably won't change the hardness of the steel, and many people take steel wool or fine sandpaper to the barrel to make it shine.

A quick visit to the CZ Forum will get you a definitive answer: http://www.czfirearms.us/
Old February 18, 2012, 06:24 AM   #16
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Both of mine are nearly new. I assume "NIB". They both came with the boxes, no wear on the sharp points, barrels very clean and no powder residue in the internals. Both covered in factory oil.

The one from 2001 is shiny, like nickel. I assumed it was stainless because who would nickel a barrel these days? If it is carbon steel, it has been polished to a ridiculously high sheen. But carbon steel rusts, so I'm not sure how it can be anything but stainless? Maybe the 2006 is carburized, I'll take a picture of them both, side by side, and post it. But it looks like wear on a blued barrel to me.

I should also mention the hammers are different. Neither is competition but they are very distinctly a different configuration.
Old March 16, 2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Jay6887

40B

Quote:
The gun shop that I usually buy has a new cz 40b in stock. He has had it for some time now and I am thinking of buying it. I did some research on it and found nothing but positive reviews. I know the gun is no longer made so I think it would be nice for my collection. Ive never handled it or asked the price. What would be a gd price on this gun? I havent been able to find any new ones for sale online so I dont have anything to compare it to.
Thanks

What gun store are you referring to. If anyone see's one of these local or far please share. [email protected]. Want this pistol for the summer shoots
Old March 16, 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
The one from 2001 is shiny, like nickel. I assumed it was stainless because who would nickel a barrel these days? If it is carbon steel, it has been polished to a ridiculously high sheen. But carbon steel rusts, so I'm not sure how it can be anything but stainless? Maybe the 2006 is carburized, I'll take a picture of them both, side by side, and post it. But it looks like wear on a blued barrel to me.
A lot of folks polished their CZ barrels. They do shine up easily.

I've had many CZs. The barrels don't rust. I've never seen rust on a CZ barrel. CZ has never claimed nor stated that their barrels are stainless. Stainless is a NEW feature of their guns.

Check with the CZ Forum -- maybe they can tell you whether you've got a stainless barrel or not. I don't think you do.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 16, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old March 16, 2012, 07:55 PM   #19
Venom1956

i wish this gun came in 9mm... what a waste.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 17, 2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Walt Sherrill

Bar-Sto made some conversion barrels for them when the 40B was first introduced, along with barrels for other CZ models, but eventually discontinued them -- due to, it appears, lack of customers.

That was when CZ-USA first started selling guns in the US. Now that there are so many more CZ in the marketplace, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bar-Sto start making CZ conversion kits again sometime in the future. The market has to be much larger, now.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:26 PM   #21
chaim

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but when I saw the following I couldn't resist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
I bought one back in the day, for $275 plus $25 shipping. Good gun. I later sold it when I couldn't quite fall in love with the .40 round. I'd like to get another one, some day, as I'm now more ".40 friendly" than I was back then.
I am in the same boat. I had one about 8 or 9 years ago that I bought locally for $299. It was a terrific gun, but I wasn't a big fan of the .40S&W so I ended up selling it.

Now, I love .40S&W (it may be my favorite caliber for CCW), and I would love to find another 40B in like new condition at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by, and when I do see them, they are far from cheap. If I ever see one at a reasonable price, I'll have to jump.

This is proof that we should never sell a gun unless we are either 100% sure, it is a gun that will be in production for the foreseeable future, or it is one that was in production for a while and will be easy to replace.

All that said, OP, did you ever buy the gun? If not, does the gunshop still have it? If they do, can you PM me their contact info please?