The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Gunzzlinger

New Indoor Range?

Hey Guys,
My business partner and I are thinking about starting a new indoor shooting range in Utah. We are looking for ideas and feed back as to what shooters want or they would change about the typical shooting range. Please share your thoughts?

Also, we have put together a 5 question survey if you would be willing to take it. Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MHGHYY3
Old September 20, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Creeper

Welcome to the Asylum Gunzzlinger...

I filled out your survey. Are you (or affiliated with) a gun retailer, or you just want to open an indoor range?

Cheers,
C
Old September 20, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Gunzzlinger

Hey Creeper, thanks for your feedback. We would be an independent range. We have some backers with deep pockets, so we are looking for ways to set us apart.

BTW your feedback was awesome, exactly the stuff we are looking for!
Old September 20, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Creeper

Best 'O luck with it chief.

Pm'd ya'.

Cheers,
C
Old September 20, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Steviewonder1

I filled out your survey also. Get the range Air Conditioned. Have at least 2 seperate 8-10 lane bays. Get instructors to train. Get plenty of demo guns. I worked in an indoor range part time in the early 90's and this formula worked. Demo guns sell new guns. Reasonable fees bring back customers and "Founding Memberships" can stock you up with the first line customers. Last and not least, get on the web.

Good Luck
Old September 20, 2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Woody55

Done.

Good luck.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Gunzzlinger

Thanks Stevie and Woody,
Quality stuff and it is much appreciated.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:21 AM   #8
DaleA

1. Good ventilation does NOT 'go without saying' - it's important.
2. Reactive targets on some lanes. Like the old shooting galleries.
3. Chronograph and some armored setup so users don't blow away the screens. And someone to show you how to use it.
4. Ransom Rest, and someone to show you how to use it.
5. The provision for some nights to do low light level shooting.
6. Timers for timed shooting.
7. League shooting.
8. Classes.

More about #2, reactive targets. Remember when it used to be fun to go to the local shooting gallery and pop off moving targets and show off your skills? Neither do I, it was before my time but it was wildly popular once and could be again. Don't forget, shooting is fun!
Old September 21, 2012, 07:00 AM   #9
rebs

The local indoor range here does good in the winter and not very good during the summer months. They have a very good selection of gun related products as well as rental guns.
Their price is 17.00 per hour plus tax. They had a smaller indoor range where they were doing well, then built a new bigger range and raised the prices and now are not doing too well. It could be the price increases or the economy, not sure which.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Pistolgripshotty

Personally I don't like the rules on ammunition. I don't know if this is just a law for my state or something but I would rather shoot my own ammunition when I go to the range not have to purchase something I don't load everyday. I mean what good is that???
Old September 21, 2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Good ventilation does NOT 'go without saying' - it's important.
OSHA and EPA compliance will be your biggest concerns. Do not trust a general construction company to know how to properly build a range. You'll need someone who's done it before.

Have a good attorney look at your customer liability waivers to make sure they're absolutely airtight. Expect one suicide every two years on average, and no matter how well you watch things, negligent discharges will happen. It would be a good idea to put all your employees through the NRA RSO program and first-aid training.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
ljnowell

Quote:
Expect one suicide every two years on average
I think that is pushing the envelope of exaggeration. We have three indoor ranges within an hour of me and none of them has EVER had a suicide. They have all been in business a long time with two of them having been there for 30 years or so.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:02 PM   #13
pgdion

Love the idea, wish I had the resources to do the same! Best of luck on your venture.
I'll fill the survey out too but here's what I like about the 2 ranges I go to.

Range #1 - Has a neat family setting to it with tables, chairs, and a fireplace. They have pop, coffee, bag snacks, and beer available as well as selling basic supplies (cleaning, reloading, ammo, ect). They have 3 sections on the indoor range. One by itself with 4 pays and then 2 that are semi joined with 4 bays, a partition, and then 5 more bays. A 4 and 2 5's would be even better. This works nice because leagues will consume the larger area and that still leaves 4 lanes for regular shooters. Sometimes leagues consume all 13 lanes and then they have to turn other shooters away. Real nice friendly staff is another plus and they offer a variety of training from gun safety and carry permit to even ATV and Snowmobile training. The last plus, memberships are only $100 (90 to renew). I wish they had a pistol range only membership for a reduced rate as I never use the shotgun range.

Range #2 - Has 2 rooms and about 16 lanes, each room is set up into 2 halves that can be used as separate areas or 1 large area. Range length is 50 yds and with digital controls for the targets . They have a sitting/conversation area but not as nice as #1. They also have a very nice training room (#1 uses the common area in off hours for training). They have just a pop vending machine. #2 also rents and sells guns ... all guns (even machine guns for rent). #2 is pretty much where everyone goes if they want to try a gun before buying it. Professional staff in both sales and service (some are friendlier than others ... you get to know the friendly ones). #2 also offers much more training with everything from basics to advanced tactical and hosts indoor IDPA. My big dislike on #2, memberships are through the roof. Way out of my budget (from about 300 to 800 per year ... Ouch!). But their open range rates are reasonable so you don't need the membership and they always give my scouts a break.

I like both of these 2 a lot. I always keep my membership at #1 and shoot leagues their because of the fun friendly atmosphere. I shoot at #2 a lot because of the nicer lanes and the 50yds (vs 50ft) and I buy guns there (good prices). And we always go there for our Troop shoots as they cater to my Boy Scouts better, they really do a good job including giving us the training room for a while so we can roll some firearms education into the fun night.

- phil
Old September 21, 2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Gunzzlinger

Hey Guys, thanks for the great feedback, we are getting some good stuff from these surveys and posts.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
We have three indoor ranges within an hour of me and none of them has EVER had a suicide.
It depends on area and demographics, as well as other factors. Our location had one in the late 1990's under prior ownership, and we were fine until 2009. Then we had one, followed by another roughly two years later. Other ranges in the area have had several within months of each other.

It's not something a range owner wants publicized for many reasons, and the media doesn't often report it. It seems to be more focused in urban areas.

I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion, but it's a strong possibility, and one worth preparing for.
Old September 21, 2012, 11:14 PM   #16
C Philip

I'll throw in my 2 cents

1) Reactive targets would be a big plus. Standing still in a lane blasting away at paper gets old after a while. One of the reasons I usually shoot outside is because I can use steel targets and practice moving around.

2) Allow people to practice drawing from their holster.

3) No silly rules about having to buy your ammo at the range. For rental guns I make an exception; your guns, your ammo.

Tags
handguns , indoor range , range