The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2012, 09:04 PM   #51
warbirdlover

Sheel's had Ruger American's for $349.
Old September 25, 2012, 09:24 PM   #52
baddarryl

Quote:
baddarryl - Boy would i love to take you up on that offer, Im always up for a challange. We play tic tac toe with 9MM cases at 100 yards for fun
Too bad NC is a long drive from Minn! Sure I have some Swedish relatives up there though. M41 Sniper rifle anyone? Lol! Seriously my Xl7 did a 5/8 group with Core Lokt's the only time I ever checked it. Maybe better out there, but for what i paid it is certainly good enough for me and I most others I should think.
Old September 26, 2012, 04:57 AM   #53
4runnerman

Too bad NC is a long drive from Minn

Yes it is. That is some fine shooting for sure. I should someday try a box of store ammo in it. I have 4 Savages now and none of them have ever seen a store bought round yet. I just consider a die purchase part of buying a rifle or pistol.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:25 AM   #54
baddarryl

I think I will be there soon. Commercial ammo is getting insanely priced. Seriously I sometimes reconsider (just a little) due to the bad rap that late model Marlins get on the net, but every time I handle mine I realize that is just noise. I also have a 981T .22 that is bulls eye accurate on a squirrels noggin!
Old September 27, 2012, 09:33 PM   #55
goredsox

I'm reasonably fond of my Mossberg 100 ATR (.308). The barrel crown has proven a nice feature...the fluting is cosmetic. The action has gotten pretty smooth...the best feature is the trigger (accuracy is excellent also)...the worst feature is the polymer stock. It's probably the worst plastic stock this side of the stevens or Remington 770 (nowhere near the Rem700 SPS). The blueing is actually pretty sturdy as it's spent plenty of time in the mud & rain and no issues

I'm currently debating whether to buy a Boyd laminate after-market stock or whether to trade it in for a Rem700 SPS, or Ruger M77HMR (wood). But for it's price vs performance...it's been a nice buy. Others in the sub-$400 that peaked my interest were Marlin XL-7 and Howa 1500.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:00 AM   #56
Ronlyke

I have a Mossberg, also. Mine's 7mm-08. Shoots pretty well--improving as I put more rounds through it. Definitely a utility gun with an ordinary stock, as previously mentioned. I don't feel as though I wasted my money.
Old November 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #57
ripnbst

You can get a remington 700 for way less than $800 right now. Heck you can get into the Rem 700 line for less than half that.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:10 PM   #58
Doug S

I was recently looking for a "budget" deer rifle for this deer season. Local hardware store had a variety of budget deer rifles in stock included Remington 770, Savage Axis, and Ruger American. Of those I liked the Ruger American the most. My choice though was a used Savage 110 in 270win they had for $275 with a Tasco scope. I had it out to the range this week, and I have to say it's a decent gun. So my recommendation would be a used 110 or the Ruger American.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle