The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1
BoogieMan

44 Mag choices

I tried this on another thread but no replies. Maybe I was asking wrong.
I have been watching the LGS's for a used 44. I didnt anticipate what showed up. Its a SS, Ruger Super Blackhawk with unfluted 7-1/2 or 8" barrel. I have no experince with SA revolvers. I said no at first $329 but I have been thinking of going back. I want to use this at the range and hunt with it. What is the drawback or strngpoint of a DA vs a SA? How about the longer grip on the SA revolvers vs the tucked under grip of say a S&W X frame. Is it harder to manage recoil with a SA?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 17, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
CajunBass

I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but there is no real downside to a Ruger SBH either. My first 44 magnum was a SBH, and it was a great shooter. Even with my Model 29-2, 99% of my magnun shooting is done in S/A mode anyway. The stock grips that came on it looked great, but didn't do a thing for recoil. The squared off trigger guard would beat my knuckles up every time, and the gun would roll up in my hand and I'd have to shift my grip. I replaced them with a set of Pachmyer grips that covered the back of the trigger guard and gave me a bigger, more hand filling grip and helped to tame the recoil quite a bit.

I don't think you'd be disapointed with it. That sounds like a good price to me, but I admit that I pay a lot more attention to S&W prices than I do Rugers.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 17, 2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Mobuck

That's a decent price if the piece is in reasonably good condition. I have an identical Ruger that I use to test handloads for velocity and accuracy mostly because it absorbs recoil well. A SA does have a more pronounced recoil than a DA but I find it easier on my hand than a DA. I can't see a whole lot of difference in recoil between my Super Blackhawk and my Redhawk(not Super) but the added topend weight of the SBH's mounted scope tames it considereably. Since a hunting gun is not especially a high volume shooter, there's no big downside to the SA type.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:08 AM   #4
BoogieMan

Thanks for the advice. For the price it seams like a good way to get into magnum loads and it will in fact do what I want it to do. Ultimately I want to progress up to a .460 S&W or a 45/70. To be honest I am scared to spend the $$$ and then not like to shoot such a hard recoiling gun. I cant find anyplace that has a gun I can test fire to get the feel of it. My revolver experience to date is limited to a S&W 14-3 that my buddy owns. It is a pleasure to shoot and I find it very accurate. But the recoil of a 38 is almost zero.
Scope recomendations for the Ruger?? I am guessing a fixed 4x Nikon
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 17, 2012, 07:24 AM   #5
CajunBass

If you decide you don't like the hard kickers, and I don't, just step down to a lighter load. You can load a 44 anywhere from "mild to wild". I shoot specials in mine 99% of the time. I gave up telling myself I enjoy recoil a long time ago.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 17, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
458winshooter

44 mag choices

That is a good price for a SBH I paid $350 for mine 4 or 5 years ago.A new one in my area is about $500 or more at the store last I checked.Unless you are a glutten for punishment or are in an area that has a minimum power restriction on a handgun for hunting there is no need to move up from a 44 mag.The newest loads are making it an even better performer than ever and you can get all kinds of loadings by reloading.It is one of the most versital cartridges that has ever come along.
I would listen to CajunBass about the grip that is very good advice.I replaced my stock grips with a hogue on my 7 1/2 in stainless SBH and it made a big difference.
Lastly, I would say practice,practice,practice I think you will find a new best friend in a 44 mag SBH.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Difference between SA and DA is pretty basic stuff.
The SA will sorta 'roll' on recoil. Some find it easier on the hands, some harder. If you get the SA, I reccomend new grips to help control the roll.
If you want to buy it, try negotiating with the seller to toss in a pair of grips. Do some shopping first to get what you want.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
BoogieMan

Thanks for the grip advice. In this case it already has a set of rubber grips. I think they were packmyer. I am going to try and negotiate them down a few bucks. Cant hurt to try. But for that kind of money I dont think I can go wrong. I just have to find a decent scope and mount that wont break the bank. If I can reliably hold a 4" group at 50yds I will use it for whitetail this year.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 17, 2012, 10:26 AM   #9
PawPaw

$350.00 is about what I paid for mine, several years ago. I like the Ruger SBH as a woods-carrying gun and it suits me well for that task.

The way the grip works on a single action revolver is that it is supposed to slip in your hand. When the revolver fires, that smooth grip is supposed to roll in your hand. It's a simple matter to readjust your grip while your thumb goes up to cock the piece for subsequent shots. I much prefer smooth wooden grips on my SA revolvers rather than rubber grips.

The recoil is easy enough to manage. It's been my experience that even small women can manage it if they're familiar with shooting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 17, 2012, 06:22 PM   #10
Delaware Ken

Good Afternoon,

I have a Super Blackhawk Hunter and love it. I went thru looking for a scope for it and ended up with an aimpoint red dot scope. If you hunt in woods at close distances, the field of view on a 4x scope might hurt you. Even with a 2x in low light conditions can be tough. But that little red dot is really nice.

I have shot it off of a pistol rest and can hold a 6" group at 100 yards if I do my part, but I feel more comfortable shooting inside of 50 yards.

Hope this helps, Ken
Old September 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
22-rimfire

I believe you are looking at one of the "hunter models" and that is quite a good price for one. The hunter models ran more than a regular black hawk. I still wish I would have purchased one in 41 mag a few years ago.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #12
GeauxTide

I've owned an iteration of the Super Blackhawk for more than 30 years. It is comfortable to shoot, provided you get proper stocks. I recommend JB Wilson's BearPaw Grips. The thing about a single action is that you can ride with the recoil. Get it, you won't regret it.

http://stores.ebay.com/bearpaw-ruger-grip-store
Old September 18, 2012, 03:45 PM   #13
sgms

Been using a Super Blackhawk for years as one of my hunting pistols and is the one I carry as a bear gun when not carrying a rifle, the 7.5 inch barrel rides best in a shoulder rig but not to bad on a belt.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Mystro

The strongest of the revolver world is the Super Redhawk. They will last 10 lifetimes and are a perfect hunting pistol.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:10 PM   #15
FloridaVeteran

Boogieman - have you called any indoor gun ranges within driving distance, to see if they have a rental you can try out?

As for working up to a .45-70, I have a Ruger No. 1 rifle in that caliber and there are loads that make me take notice even with that long-barrel, fairly heavy gun. Fortunately, when the time comes you probably can get many comments here about shooting those cannons, before you plunk down money for one. I'm not sure even indoor ranges rent .460s or .45-70s, especially since the latter is considered a rifle cartridge.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:43 PM   #16
skidder

I used to be a DA purest till I got my first SA a few weeks ago. I thought of them more as novelty than a fully functional firearm. My preconcieved notions were quickly shattered at the range. My 5.5 stainless SBH made a believer out of me. Can I get an Amen brother!

My 5.5 Rehawk has always been my hunting handgun, but there might be another riding shotgun this year.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 18, 2012, 10:43 PM   #17
DW44VH

.44 mag

When I was just a young lad of 13 the one thing I wanted was a .44 magnum pistol. At age 14 my father finally caved and got me the Dan Wesson .44 mag pistol pac. He was concerned about recoil as I was just a little guy. The DW with power control (DW's version of magna-porting) was extremely tame for the caliber. Still have the gun, and it still shoots great. Sadly the pistol by itself now sells for a couple of hundred more than I paid for the whole pac. I shoot it almost exclusively SA.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Falcon642

To the question of SA vs. DA, I think you only need DA in self defense situations. If a bear is charging me, I want DA; if I'm just punching holes in paper then SA is just fine.