The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Seeker14

XDS issues.....?

I have resisted the urge to fire my new Springfield XDS 45 ACP until I had all the items I needed with it. I got a rubber grip cover, and just received the extended magazines offered by Springfield just this week. So I went to the range yesteday and set up for the my first shoot with it.

I must say overall I like it but I experienced some magazine feeding problems, i.e. some "failure to feed" (FTF) events. My first rack back for first shot got the bullet halfway up into the chamber and when I let go of the slide it obviously would not close. I thought it was my technique. I cleared the chamber withsome trouble because now the next round was one it's way up and put pressure on the one cock-eyed and still there. I got it clear and put the magazine back in, making sure to see it was seated I looked down at the seam where the extended magazine meets the bottom of the grip end and noticed a widenning gap angle narrow ine the front and widenning to the back. I pushed on the mag to get it in tighter and the seems came together but it would "sag" back open when I took pressure off the mag. I got it to rack & load so I shot it twice and then the slide stopped halfway back again aftewr the second shot. It was another half loaded round stuck in the chamber. I cleared it and shot the rest of the mag okay. I went to get a range technician to check my ammo and check to see what he could tell me. He came in took a look at it, then took the next mag, loaded and shot the first round like nothing wrong. I shrugged and concluded it was "me" again. So I went about shooting more. I got thru 2 more mags and in the middle of the extended one had another FTF issue similar to the first extended mag. I loaded the 5 round mag that comes with the gun set and it had one similar FTF event between shots. I also see the angled gap in the magazine end like the others. I love how it shoots when it shoots and just a little disappointed I am having FTF issues. What do you think? Have you heard of anything like this happenning to others? I have not looked online yet to see if there is a trend... I think I will contact Springfield and see what's up.
Old September 16, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
INMY01TA

I don't own one (yet) but own two other XDs, read a little about em on XDTalk.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-di...y-my-xd-s.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-di...ds-issues.html
Old September 16, 2012, 05:27 PM   #3
dgludwig

Quote:
I love how it shoots when it shoots and just a little disappointed I am having FTF issues.
Well, I don't blame you. XDs are known for their intrinsic "out-of-the-box" reliability. I agree that a call to Springfield seems to be in order.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
INMY01TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
XDs are known for their intrinsic "out-of-the-box" reliability
Is this comment sarcastic?

Last edited by INMY01TA; September 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Delete
Old September 16, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
dgludwig

No-I've never owned one but I was relying on the experience of a friend who does (he has two of them) and the feed-backs I've seen from many respondents in TFL in terms of the "out-of-box" reliability of the XD pistol when I posted this comment. If I'm wrong about this, I'm certainly open to correction.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
INMY01TA

The XD and the XDm are good to go. I hear some negatives about the XDs so far tho but Springfield will take care of you.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:06 PM   #7
proxpilot

I know the XDS does not like any sort of limp wristing or hand racking of the slide. the gun really needs to be man handled. i have had one light strike issue with mine
Old September 16, 2012, 09:35 PM   #8
nssa4914

Mine does this with my re-loads. Feeds factory stuff great. I run the same re-loads through my Kimber with zero issues.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9
LimaKiloTango

Mine also does not like to be hand-racked. Pull the slide back and engage the stop, insert magazine, drop the slide and it should work every time. And don't limp-wrist.

I'm not a great shot but my XD-S is more accurate than my Para Warthog.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
pistoled

Don't ride the slide. Its a short/small gun so not much room for error. Otherwise, lock the slide back and use the slide release to load the round. If it is "brand new" they do take a few hundred rounds to smooth out.

I'm a happy XDs owner, btw. If there is a problem with your pistol, at least its a Springfield. They will take care of you.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:08 AM   #11
cheezhed

What type of ammo are you using? Some xd .45 caliber pistols do not like
hollow points but seem to work just fine with round nose cartridges.
Old September 17, 2012, 05:49 AM   #12
thedudeabides

Most FTF issues tend to be solved with cycling a few hundred rounds through the gun and not manually racking the slide...

I've also found that racking the slide from the FRONT if you absolutely have to gives you more leverage and makes it less likely to result in an FTF... especially in guns with stiff recoil springs.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:33 AM   #13
kayakersteve

What LMT said - You MUST rack it like you mean it or it will hangup - Preferably, use the slide release and this wont happen.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Rmart30

I have currently XD45c, XDM 9mm, and a XDS ... and sold a XD9sc to fund the XDs purchase. Ive had nothing but good results with all of mine.
The XDS has about 650 rds thru it and not a single issue..
I will agree they do not like to be "sling shot" racked... Use the slide release to chamber a round and that problem will go away.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Vermonter

Considering one of these

My concern is what if you have a dud round somewhere in the pistol. I would tap rack and bang or hopefully bang. If that however resulted because the pistol only likes to be loaded from the slide release I guess I am SOL.

Also this means one always has to carry with one chambered. Not an issue for me however I know some people think an empty chamber and a full mag are a match made in heaven. Personally I think it is a recipie for getting to heaven sooner but that is besides the point.

I am going to follow this disucssion and moniter the results to see if this smooths out over time.

Regards, Vermonter.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Co Th G

My wife has hundreds of rounds through her XDs and it has been 100% reliable to date. As stated by others, you can't pussyfoot with it when chambering a round. Most problems with the XDs (and all firearms) are caused operator induced error.
Old September 25, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Eghad

I own a .40 S&W XD and a .45 ACP XDM no problems since the first shots were fired. A 9mm 5" XDM Competition is next on my list.

NRA Life Member
Old September 25, 2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Indi

I don't own an XDs anymore. I had ftf, fte, softstrikes. The ftf and fte started when i used the seven round mag. The mags that came with the gun ran fine, but would not lock the slide open after the last round. I like. 45acp semi autos, and I like concealable handguns, I thought this was going to be the ONE that I always carry, I was quickly dissapointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuxH-...e_gdata_player

As for the Springfield XDm 3.8 45acp........ that is a sweet gun. Its very similar in size to a g23 shoots great and never had any issues with it. Its concealable, but not easy as the XD(s).
Old September 26, 2012, 01:29 AM   #19
chris in va

Saw a fella with a new XDs last weekend. It was jamming something fierce. The RO had a look and gave it a good squirt of WD40. Worked fine after that.

Tags
ftf , xds