The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 15, 2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Snort

Is Sig Still Having Issues?

I'm in the market for a decent 9mm, and I have to say, the Sig E2 grips are pretty decent for my tiny little girl-hands. I have, however, heard a lot of jawing about Sig having reliability issues lately. I have no idea if that's the case or not, but if it is, are they still facing said issues? Any models seeming to be immune? Anything I should particularly avoid? I'm thinking a 226 or maybe a 229, as long as the 229 has the E2-style grip.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:19 AM   #2
shuler13

226, 229 and 2022 are all reliable shooters. I didn't hesitate to pick up the P226 MK25 and I don't regret it. And the 2022 trigger is as good as any hi-pistol I own. Neither have had any problems during use.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
jasmith85

I haven't had any problems out of my p229 in the 300 or so rounds I've put through it. I bought it earlier this year but I believe it was manufactured March of last year.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Genepix

I have owned two Sig P226 guns, and presently shoot my P226 E2 with total confidence in its reliability. I have never experienced a problem with either one, and don't anticipate any issues in the future, either.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
sigcurious

It might help if you specify what issues you're concerned about.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Snort

It could very well be Internet myth, but a quick search yields a fair amount of complaints regarding FTEs, FTFs, and FTRBs, with the Exeter guns seemingly to blame.

Again, no idea if it is/was a widespread problem - people discuss it like it is/was - but I'm really grooving on the E2 profile, and after being somewhat disappointed with an HK45c that wound up with extractor issues, I'd like to avoid another potential lemon.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7
sigcurious

I can't speak for others or the veracity of the claims in the internet, but from what I've seen on the forums and in my personal experience this is not so.

I can understand being wary after getting a lemon from HK, but it's a possibility with any manufacturer. Getting one from HK was probably a fluke and I would say getting one from Sig would be a fluke also.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:04 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
the Sig E2 grips are pretty decent for my tiny little girl-hands. I have, however, heard a lot of jawing about Sig having reliability issues lately.
Actually, the "E2" configuration fits my larger than normal hand pretty darn well. I can only speak for the three SIG pistols I currently own and shoot (models 226 E2, 1911 TTT and 220 Carry-with the internal extractor) but, that said, they have all been completely reliable and plenty accrate.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:08 PM   #9
geetarman

I have 5 Sigs and really have no issues with them. I did have a problem with unusual wear marks on a P220 barrel. Sig fixed the problem and I have had no issues since.

I do like the Elites in stainless more than the ones with alloy frames.

Probably just a personal preference.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 15, 2012, 12:09 PM   #10
TheSILENTtype

If Sig has been having an issue, it's not one I have come accross
Old September 15, 2012, 12:14 PM   #11
dgludwig

Snort, you might want to pose your question in the semi-auto forum as it's apt to get closed here before very long.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Noreaster

Couple years ago Sig was having some issues. MA State Police had problems with 40S&W P226 and NH SP had major issues with their P220. Everything I've heard is that Sig got their act together and no more problems. I would trust my life to a Sig classic series.
Old September 15, 2012, 02:37 PM   #13
comn-cents

only on the internet!
Old September 15, 2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Double Impact

News to me when did sig start having issues?
Old September 15, 2012, 07:29 PM   #15
MonsterB

229 Extreme made in April 2012 here and absolute perfection so far, with about 750-800 rounds so far. Best handgun I have ever shot.
Old September 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Marquezj16

No problems with my Sig 220 (2003), SP2022 (2010) and 1911 Tac Pac (2012).
Old September 15, 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
RamItOne

YMMV

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461592
Old September 15, 2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Father Time

Quote:
when did sig start having issues
Its when the CEO that ruined Kimber's CQ went over to Sig usa.
(or from what I understand from 30 seconds of googleing the subjecr)

Ron Cohen (I think is his name) Was the genius that thought putting "Custom" on production Kimber slides mean you could charge an arm and a leg for a 1911 while quietly cutting corners in production. And how you can't turn a page in a gun rag without seeing an add for Kimber. They spend their money on ads not on the actual production of guns.

Now from SIG your seeing "Diamond Plate", "Rainbow", "Scorpion" finnishes on Sigs. And how you can buy a P238 that proudly says "SAS" on the side.
Thats where all the extra effort goes at SIG.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Technosavant

Quote:
And how you can buy a P238 that proudly says "SAS" on the side.
It isn't just the P238 that comes in SAS.

And for the record, that has nothing to do with the Special Air Service... it stands for Sig Anti-Snag, and those guns have been dehorned and smoothed out to a greater extent than the "normal" models.

I can understand being miffed at many of their unnecessary models (the diamond plate bit is silly), but not every variant is pointless.

While Sig has had some teething problems with their new models lately (1911, P250, P238), they have managed to get them sorted out and those models are fine now. Other makers have also shown that they have had issues introducing new models (just ask Ruger). Even Glock couldn't revise their "perfect" design without some teething problems. Problem-free would be ideal, but unfortunately that seems to be out of reach nowadays... wait until they get things set to rights, then go for them. Sig seems to have done that after some QC issues.
Old September 15, 2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Father Time

Quote:
it stands for Sig Anti-Snag
Your probably right. I'm not super familar with Sigs product line. But thats just one of the examples on just one of their firearms.

Quote:
Even Glock couldn't revise their "perfect" design without some teething problems.
Thats because glocks ain't perfect. They are reliable but thats the only good thing they have going for them. Awful trigger, plastic brick ergo's, grip angle that is all wrong.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:32 AM   #21
CUBAN REDNECK

Cost maybe?

The only problem with SIG are the prices. SIG pistols are extremely reliable, never had a problem with them.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:10 AM   #22
WVsig

Quote:
Its when the CEO that ruined Kimber's CQ went over to Sig usa.
(or from what I understand from 30 seconds of googleing the subjecr)

Ron Cohen (I think is his name) Was the genius that thought putting "Custom" on production Kimber slides mean you could charge an arm and a leg for a 1911 while quietly cutting corners in production. And how you can't turn a page in a gun rag without seeing an add for Kimber. They spend their money on ads not on the actual production of guns.

Now from SIG your seeing "Diamond Plate", "Rainbow", "Scorpion" finnishes on Sigs. And how you can buy a P238 that proudly says "SAS" on the side.
Thats where all the extra effort goes at SIG.
Sig before the pre-Cohen days was producing some of the best handguns on the planet. These W. German/German guns are what built the Sig reputation but they were not making any money.

Ron Cohen is a marketing genius and is the one that turned Kimber into what it is today.... They are the #1 selling 1911 on the planet. They sell more 1911s than the next 4 combined. Cohen used and aggressive marketing strategy and volume model to grow Kimber into the company it is today.

Now that also created a few problems.

-Remember when the Kimber started to use more and more MIM, cheaper parts, in order to speed up production and cut production costs while at the same time continuing to raise prices.
-Remember when Kimber started to make 25 versions of basically the same pistol by changing the finish the grips and the engraving on the slide.
-Remember the problems with the Kimbers external extractor which they never got right.
-Remember when they did not completely R&D the guns the guns with the changes they were making before they released the pistol and instead let the buying public be beta tester while claiming that there were no known design flaws in their products.
-Remember how as the volume of the Kimber brand grew so did the raw number and % of problem guns.
-Remember when their customer service was overwhelmed because they increased production but did not increase the after sale support side of the business.

ALL of this applies to todays Sig Cohen Sauer. Now this does not mean that if you go out and buy a Sig today you will get a lemon. This does not mean that Sigs produced at Exter are not good if not great guns. My number 1 problem with Sig these days is the mentality that is driving their production methods and design concepts. It is no longer to Hell and Back reliability. That has been replaced by the Pinto principle. Build them fast and build them cheap. We know there are flaws but the majority of the guns will never be shot to enough to reach the point of failure and the ones that do we can fix under warranty at a much lower cost than making them all the way they should. This is what you get when you go to a volume model IMHO.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:15 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

Polymer SIGs....

To my limited knowledge, most - issues with SIG Sauer pistols came from the newer polymer frame designs not the older "classic" lines(P239, P229, P226, P220). Classic SIGs had much support from LE, SWAT & military services through most of the 1980s, 1990s & 2000s.

I posted a topic on how the US SIG Sauer HQ in NH had a huge front office hiring push in late 2011. It may be still on TFL.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:29 PM   #24
dave9969

odd
I own 2 sig pistols
both of them polymer frame
one 2022 in 9mm that currently has well in excess of 2,000 rounds down it, never so much as a fail to fire or extract out of it

and the other is a mosquito in .22 lr for the girls to shoot with, and other than being picky about high velocity ammo, its been a trooper

having said that, since they returned it "twice" as fixed
are you taking it apart an putting it back together before firing? Just asking to eliminate operator error, 1911's are notoriously difficult beasts, and not really a beginner's pistol.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:16 PM   #25
Patriot86

I have had two SIG pistols and a SIG rifle.
The first pistol a P226 is about 3 years old; no problems.
The second is a P229 about 1 year old in January, no problems.
The rifle is a few months old, no problems.

My brother in law has a 1.5 year old P2022, no problems.

I remember hearing some rumors about the 1911's having a problem with the safeties coming off about a year or two ago but i've never seen or met someone with those issue. Every gun manufacturer has issues; often when a change is made or when a new gun is put on the streets. Even the almighty INEVERHADAPROBLEMEVERNEVER glock had issues with some Gen 4 pistols; it happens. But as with Glock, SIG to my knowledge has moved to fix any issues they experienced quickly.

Go out there; buy yourself a P226 or 229 and have some fun!