The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 14, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
WIN1886

Looking for slip on or lace up padded butt plate for 1892 Winchester ?

Okay , I finally found a 1892 Winchester that has a steel crescent butt plate and want to lengthen the stock a bit so it fits me better ! Does anybody know of a source that sells preferably leather padded butt pads that fit over the crescent shaped steel plate and look and work nicely ? Thanks !
Old September 14, 2012, 07:18 PM   #2
gwnorth

Check cimarrons web site - they sell them for theirs and they fit my Winchester 1892s fine. I added some exercise matt foam to the crescent one on my 1892 short rifle to ease it a bit (I take blood thinners so I cannot afford to get bruised up by that steel butt plate).

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Gun...fleLeather.htm

I've also seen these in use:

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2219...ews.htm?page=2 but they are not form fitted to the curved butt place of an 1892 rifle stock. The seem to cushion pretty well though as they have about 1/2" decelerator gel in them, and they will deform to the butt plate when pressed to your shoulder.

I know people also advice a completely different hold for the crescent butt stocks, more on the arm then in the shoulder pocket. While I can understand the use of that hold for this kind of butt stock, I do not like it as it bruises my arm too much for me to use it (again, the dang coumadin's effects). Also, that hold just does not work for me with progressive eyeglass lenses as I have to cock my neck at a very unworkable angle to get a decent sight picture.

KirkD at Paco Kelly's forum has a photo of the hold I mean - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...f197441832a0f6

Last edited by gwnorth; September 14, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3
WIN1886

Thanks , for the Cimarron leather model did you get the carbine version or size for the 92's ?
Old September 15, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
gwnorth

My guns are current production Winchester 1892 - 20" barrel carbine and a short rifle. I have the carbine cimarron butt tamer for my carbine and the rifle one for the short rifle. They fit almost perfectly on my 1892s. On the short rifle I just cut some high density foam exercise matt rubber to fit the butt plate profile and set that in the bottom of the butt tamer and laced it up. It fits well and does not shift around on the stock.

If you have an actual Winchester rifle butt stock, then you do not want the carbine leather, as the curve is less pronounced on a carbine butt stock.

My short rifle is the one that bothers my shoulder the most, as that crescent butt stock digs in at the top and bottom of the curve and leaves some pretty nasty bruises if I shoot it without some cover/cushion. The carbine butt stock is not nearly as bad, but the leather alone still eases the effect of the edges of that steel butt plate.
Old September 15, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
MLeake

I am thinking about ordering from this gentleman for my Savage 99:

http://www.levergunleather.com

Nice looking gear.
Old September 15, 2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Robdan1

Try this guy, you wont regret it

www.czechmauseritis.com tell him Rob from Canada recommended him...not sure if he does work for US models but well worth the try and waiting,..cheers...Rob
Old September 16, 2012, 06:55 AM   #7
jcowan

Gunstockcover.com

I ordered the stock cover and sling from John. Awesome stuff, he also sells on eBay. Takes a few weeks, he makes each one custom.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
WIN1886

Thanks , some great suggestions here which I will check out !

Yes , I do have the short rifle with the more pronounced crescent shaped plate !