The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
monkeyfist

Anybody ever used a gun in SD?

I'm sure it's been discussed a thousand times here, but I'm new, so give me a break!

Anyway, anybody ever have to use their gun in a self-defense situation?
Old September 20, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Not sure if you'd count this, but many years ago I had a prowler. I grabbed my Ruger Blackhawk and went to investigate. It was pretty dark in places, and seeing me, he ducked into the shadows. I tried to find him without walking into a possible ambush but lost him.

I notified the Memphis Police and that, I thought, was that.

However, the same assailant broke into two apartments, robbed on woman, robbed and raped another. He was apprended two days later. He escaped from city jail and was apprehended two days later in a nearby town in Mississippi. When he was caught, he had taken a potentially lethal dose of sleeping pills and was talking to a minister. He was finally tried and sentenced to a long prison term.

Bob Wright
Old September 21, 2012, 01:42 AM   #3
warningshot

Does War count?
Old September 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Defining "used" opens new discussions.
I have never fired a gun in sd. But, on three occasions I have shown my pistol and it's presence, and my clear intent to defend myself caused the would be attackers to back off and depart.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Hal

Quote:
I'm sure it's been discussed a thousand times here, but I'm new, so give me a break!
Not really...
Matter of fact,,,maybe only a dozen or so times in the 14 years that I've been a member here.

Not that there's anything "wrong" with the subject,,,it (using a firearm for SD) is something that's mentioned inside of individual threads quite a bit.

As a thread topic though, it's not a subject of much discussion.

Is there anything specific about it you want to know?

FWIW - no I never had to actually fire on or at someone.
I did have a scoped .30/06 loaded and at the ready one day when a domestic situation took place down the street.

Last edited by Hal; September 21, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
OldMarksman
Staff

Caution

If someone was injured, or if the event occurred in recent years, it is usually not wise to discuss it publicly.

A trial and acquittal or a pardon would limit criminal liability, but not civil liability.

Consider the statute of limitations. By the way, there isn't one for murder.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Zhillsauditor

While I have never had to shoot, I had a break in a couple of years ago, with someone trying to climb into my bedroom window while I was sleeping. He woke me up before getting the window open, so that by the time he got the screen out and was about to climb on in, I was crouched behind my bed with my CZ P01 at full cock. When I yelled out that he was about to make a life ending mistake, he took off.

After securing the window, I called 911. The first time I called, it rang more than 14 times before I gave up and hung up. I redialed and they picked up on the 7th ring.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

OldMarksman is correct.

Also, for some people, using a handgun in self defense brings about other issues of a personal nature.

In the past we've generally shut these threads down. I think that's a wise course of action that should continue.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread