The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
GTlefty

trouble finding just the right scope for Savage 110L - website recommendations?

I bought a Savage 110L 30-06 that is done up as classic hunting rifle look, has rings but no scope. The rings are 6 1/8in. on the outside. I'm trying to find a glossy finish 3-9 or 4-12 scope in the $250-350 range (could go higher) but I haven't been able to find one yet online, most of the sites don't tell you the measurements. I really don't want to send one back because it doesn't fit right.

Where's a good place to shop for scopes when you need something specific?
Old September 17, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Yankee Doodle

Haunt a couple of local gunshops, Wally World, Dicks, etc. Pick up a few scopes, and find the one you want. Then you can either buy it there, or order it online, whichever you choose.
I, for one, only buy from a local gunshop. It may cost a bit more, but he is always there when I need him.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
SSA

If you change the bases to Burris XT or Weaver extended you can move the rings closer together and have a lot more scope choices.
Or go to extended rings. Narrow rings make a little difference, too.
Or extended Talley lightweights. Or a DNZ mount.

It seems like most of the scope manufacturers list mounting length along with other specs.
Old September 17, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
jmr40

Long action Savage rifles are the hardest to get scopes on because they have a greater distance between the base mounting holes. You either need to find a really long scope, or use mounts that will help get the spacing closer. Several good ones have been mentioned.

I'm curious as to why you want to put a glossy scope on a rifle with a matte finish. You'll find many more options in a matte finished scope. To the best of my knowledge a Leupold VX-1 is one of the few in your price range. Leupolds also tend to be among the shorter scopes and you'll have trouble getting one to work without special rings.

Look here. www.SWFA.com
Old September 17, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
PawPaw

The long-action Savage is probably the longest of the standard actions currently available. For several years I went with a Weaver K6, which required extended rings to give me the eye relief I needed. Extended rings are quite handy when trying to fit a scope to a rifle.

That's Leupold extended bases, with Redfield extended rings (Brownell's #47221).

However, this year I've gone with a Nikon ProStaff scope on that rifle, and I was able to eschew the extended rings. Now, it's set up with that Nikon scope and standard Leupold high rings.

So far, I like that scope and it gives me plenty of eye relief on that rifle.

Quote:
Where's a good place to shop for scopes when you need something specific?
Your local gun shop is a good place to look for scopes. You're keeping the money in the local economy and helping a local guy stay in business. I understand that lots of us like to order online, and that's fine, but I like to buy locally when I can.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 17, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
big al hunter

vortexoptics.com specs sheets have the info you seek
Old September 18, 2012, 12:56 AM   #7
GTlefty

Thanks everyone! I'll look at your suggestions. And I'll see if I can get into town and buy locally.

Why glossy? The rest of the rifle came that way.

Tags
dimensions , savage 110 , scope , websites