The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Prof Young

Shot the Winchester 1300

Scatter Gun Fans:

Bought a gently used Winchester 1300 couple weeks ago and took it to shoot clays yesterday. Worked well and by the end of the morning I was hitting ten out of ten with a full choke. Actually the full is the only one I have so far.

If you have thoughts on what brand chokes to buy I'd like to hear them.

Also I discovered that the magazine does not have a plug so I'll need to get one before I can legally hunt. I'm assuming that will be an easy fix, but if you have advice on that I'd like to hear it.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old September 9, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2
NickySantoro

Carlson tubes always worked well for me with an 870. As far a a plug goes, you can make one out of a wood dowel with an OD small enough to fit inside the ID of the mag spring. Or you can just buy a plastic one. Whether you need to plug the mag will depend upon what you are hunting and where. Check your state game laws.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Winchester tubes are OK and cheap. Get an IC or Skeet, and definitely get a Modiifed or Light Mod. I'd be tempted to go Skeet/LM, but YMMV.

Carlsons, Briley, Seminole,Colonial, Truchoke, all are class acts in regard to concentricity and constriction.

Enjoy....
Old September 9, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Daggitt

I got mine off ebay.Had the Full and bought the Mod and the I/C. They have five . I didn't need all 5. I would get the factory ones. I tried another brand and the choke did not cover the threads like the factory one does. Do you have the wrench ? There is a wrench that goes with it too.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:34 AM   #5
LSnSC

The 1300 is a great gun. Probably better than the Mossbergs and 870 Express guns. Every one ive ever shot has a really slick action. The Win Choke is the same as the Invector choke. Either will work in your 1300.
I would get a Carlson's or Briley extended so you dont have to have a wrench.
Choke constriction depends on what you'll be using it for.
Old September 11, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
WCW

I've had a 1300 for four years now, and hunt with it regularly, as well as shoot trap. I have three factory choke tubes, F,MOD, and skeet. I actually haven't used anything but the modified much. The action was pretty sweet when the gun was new, but after a few hundred rounds it got very slick. I really like this shotgun, and would recommend one to anyone.