The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 2, 2012, 10:27 AM   #26
TXAZ

4 Paws: How many years have you been married?

Can't imagine getting away with that one after more than a few years.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 2, 2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Sparks1957

My wife and I keep our money separate, and both contribute an agreed-upon amount to an account used to pay the house bills. This really works well, and keeps us from fighting about money almost completely.

What is left in my own account is mine to spend as I see fit, but Suzy is also very supportive of my gun/reloading hobbies and enjoys going to the range with me some of the time.

I'm a lucky guy. No secrets makes a happy, healthy marriage... We've both tried it the wrong way with other people in the past, and this way works better.
Old September 2, 2012, 10:38 AM   #28
Daggitt

(I'm going to get flamed for this but I'm doing it anyway , for the OP's protection.) To the OP. You might be cautious about utilizing advice from any post herein containing the phrase , " My first marriage ...."
Old September 2, 2012, 11:38 AM   #29
jimbob86

BTDT.*

First, lock up the guns/ammo.

Little kids curiosity trumps their reason and discipline. When they are older, you should teach them gun safety, but when they are 3-5 ..... "don't touch that", and lock them up. .... and you really should, as a responsible parent, teach them gun safety, just as you should teach them to swim: guns are out there, just as deep water is ...... those are important life skills, and they should know how to deal with them...... the alternative is to allow them to persist in their ignorance, and hope they never encounter either one.....

That said, you seem to have gotten the cart before the horse- A Mosin and a Glock are not going to be real conducive to getting your wife intersted in shooting, nor really useful in teaching the tykes in a few years..... I suggest a .22 .......

* I have 5 kids, 16 down to just turned 8. Wife was averse to me getting a pistol when they were small, and looked at me like I'd lost my mind when I said I wanted a Carry Permit...... I have the permit, a modest collection of guns, and 2 daughters that hunt ..... Eldest shot trap in jr high ..... soon to be 10 year old son likes shooting my Ruger Frontier in 7-08 .... and given a set of shooting sticks, can pop milk jugs at 100-150 yards with almost boring regularity...

Last edited by jimbob86; September 2, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:34 PM   #30
Daggitt

You know what it is. Them darn guns are breeding in there again!
Old September 2, 2012, 01:11 PM   #31
armoredman

Piling on with the lockbox idea, doesn't have to be expensive or fancy, just something to keep little prying fingers away. The LifeJacket item might work well for you.
Also, pick up a copy of Massad Ayoobs excellent pamphlet, "Gun Proof Your Children".
Come clean about it, tell her one of your main concerns was HER safety and the safety of your child. Get her involved if you can. Also, since this is your first handgun, prove to her you mean it about being a safe and responsible gun owner by getting some good local training, starting with the NRA Hunter Safety course and moving up.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:11 PM   #32
berettaprofessor

Quote:

Can't imagine getting away with that one after more than a few years.
Can't answer for 4 Paws, but I can say that it will work for quite awhile...like 30 years. It helps when the wife really isn't interested if the number is 1 or 100.

Yeah, sure, she'll be mad about it someday, but that's because she's selling them all after I'm dead and sees the original receipts.
Old September 2, 2012, 11:08 PM   #33
Eghad

She is going to see the gun some way and some how. I wouldnt leave it in a hidey hole in the garage if I had kids.

better to cross that bridge than when you are halfway around the world TDY. Bad news doesn't age like fine wine.

Wife's can count and they can remember details you can't. I think they let you think you have gotten away with that gun purchase.

NRA Life Member
Old September 3, 2012, 12:57 AM   #34
BEASTmode

So I finally told her as we talked before going to bed. I guess it worked out to my advantage that I told her on the same day I bought it (Saturday).

Of course she wasn't the happiest woman in the world, but she was glad I didn't keep the secret from her for longer than a day. I was hoping she'd be more angry than disappointmented; but no, she was more disappointed. Funny how woman can do that to you.

7 years down, at least 7 more to go right.

I did sleep on the couch Saturday night, lol.

The world is balanced again.
Old September 3, 2012, 02:32 AM   #35
FloridaVeteran

Beast - if it hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread, you need to reach Critical Mass - the point at which your wife doesn't have a clue how many guns you own. After that, you will have peace and harmony in your life.

Think of it this way - do you know how many purses or pairs of shoes your wife owns? Let's say you do and that there is not a kinky reason you know that - how much are those purses and shoes worth today, the day (or more) after she has used them? Now compare that to the immediate-sale value of your guns. You have investments, at least relative to purses and shoes. 'Nuff said.

Get your inventory to Critical Mass and life becomes way better, though one must remain conscious about the timing and method of the introduction of new brethren to the gun safe. It is all part of Life's Plan.
Old September 3, 2012, 04:12 AM   #36
Pilot

Does she tell you about every pair of shoes and handbags she gets? I think you're overthinking. Relax. It is just a gun. Do most men live in fear of their wives?
Old September 3, 2012, 04:45 AM   #37
Sport45

Quote:
Do most men live in fear of their wives?
I don't. And my wife doesn't live in fear of me.

Mutual respect is a good thing and has nothing to do with fear.

What's wrong with trying to keep each other happy?
Old September 3, 2012, 06:30 AM   #38
gaseousclay

Quote:
Does she tell you about every pair of shoes and handbags she gets?
the OP clearly stated in his post that large purchases are mulled over, talked about and debated with his wife. comparing a handgun purchase (a lethal weapon) to a pair of shoes or a purse is a false equivalency imo, unless those items cost hundreds of dollars each. you guys can't keep using the same argument to justify a firearm purchase, especially to someone who is new to firearms, has children in the house, does not have a gun safe and has a wife that dislikes guns.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:41 AM   #39
gaseousclay

Quote:
So I finally told her as we talked before going to bed. I guess it worked out to my advantage that I told her on the same day I bought it (Saturday).

Of course she wasn't the happiest woman in the world, but she was glad I didn't keep the secret from her for longer than a day. I was hoping she'd be more angry than disappointmented; but no, she was more disappointed. Funny how woman can do that to you.

7 years down, at least 7 more to go right.

I did sleep on the couch Saturday night, lol.

The world is balanced again.
well, it's good you came clean. again, look at it from your wife's viewpoint. even if you're in a good place financially, making impulse purchases just because you want something versus needing something are different things. your wife is probably thinking you've broken her trust, which you did, and that $400+ for a handgun would've gone a long way towards purchases for your children.

my wife is currently 12 weeks pregnant and this will be our first child. when I convinced my wife over a month ago to let me get another rifle it was under certain conditions, that it cost a certain amount and that it's stored in a gunsafe. I also knew that with a baby on the way I probably wouldn't be making any firearm purchases for awhile, so if I was going to get one it's now or never. the point is, I had my wife's consent and I budgeted for it. I maintain our finances in the house so I know exactly how much we have in savings and how much expendable income we have. We're not hurting by any means and I do put a decent portion of our paychecks into our savings account for the baby fund. I personally don't think lying to your wife behind her back was a wise move. believe me, i've had the exact same thought as you and probably posted a similar question on the forum at some point, but in the end I took the advice of most of the members here and talked to my wife openly and honestly about guns. so far it's worked out
Old September 3, 2012, 10:01 AM   #40
Magnum Mike

Just be careful! When I met my woman, she asked "why do you need all those guns and fishing poles"? Well to date she now has more poles than I do! She now loves to shoot MY guns and MY ammo. Now she is looking for a handgun she can call HER OWN! Sad part is I probably wont be able to use it but will still have to supply the ammo for it.
Old September 3, 2012, 02:43 PM   #41
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Oops!!

Right off the bat: Thank you Sir, for your Service Time. It surely is appreciated here on this end.

I've been known to suffer a case of "excessive indulgence" too.
Being married to the same gal for 46 years and I'll share a little Tip with you that worked for me a few times over the years. Tell her you love her. But you just had to have them. Let the Mrs. air her views and expect to be in the dog house for a few days. Here's the Tip: When you get the chance. Out of the clear blue surprise her with a Peace Offering. A quick apology is all that's needed. Buy her a little something special just for her alone. Nothing too expensive. Just a little something/something is all that's required. That's what I've done. I'm pretty sure you'll survive your ordeal too.
Old September 3, 2012, 03:13 PM   #42
jimbob86

Hey, get it right: I'm knucklewalking Neandertal!
Old September 3, 2012, 03:20 PM   #43
Sparks1957

Sorry, Jimbob. I stand corrected
Old September 3, 2012, 03:37 PM   #44
pturner67

The easiest way to break it to her:

1. Go to her and tell her you need to talk
2. Tell her you are having an affair

and then quickly

3. Tell her you were kidding and that you just wanted to let her know you got an extra gun because it was a steal of a deal

That second gun seems like a small issue when you're not cheating on your wife
Old September 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #45
Rembrandt

I'm always puzzled when someone thinks the fate of their marriage hinges over a few hundred dollar expense....makes me wonder how healthy the marriage really is.
Old September 3, 2012, 06:08 PM   #46
Boatme98

"Honey, look what I got you!"
Old September 4, 2012, 02:20 PM   #47
45Gunner

My wife and I have a deal... She never questions what I buy because I use my own money and she knows that I hardly ever **** it away. And if that rare moment occurs that I do, she is usually involved.

Likewise, I never question what she spends her money on. It's hers and she can spend in any manner she sees fit.

My wife appreciates that my guns are my hobby and also a means of protection and defense for both of us. She is very pro-gun. Just wish she would like to learn to shoot but has no interest.

OK, said my piece and now have to go pack my range bag because my shooting buddies and I are off to the range tonight.
NRA Life Member
Old September 4, 2012, 03:40 PM   #48
Stressfire

Start out the confession the same way I do: "Honey, I love you...."

Don't keep secrets, chances are she will be more upset with you for lying than just doing something dumb (dumb in her view, that is).

Edited for update - just read your last post, BEASTmode. Well done on 'fessing up. You got one thing right though, I much prefer outright anger to disappointment, especially the look that always accompanies
Old September 4, 2012, 05:02 PM   #49
thedudeabides

The wife knows I buy a gun every few months or so. I recently bought a P30 and a P229, I only got away with it because I traded one of my USP's for the P30...

She doesn't mind me buying guns, as long as she knows I'm using them for CCW or at the range.

What she does mind if I just buy a gun and keep it in the safe and never use it.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:23 PM   #50
sgms

Good, +1 for telling her. Now get a lock box for it, start teaching the kids safety(try NRA's Eddie Eagle program), have your wife spend a little time on corneredcat.com a woman's sight about guns and may help her feel better about them in the house.