The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
StukaJU87

Need help identifying .308 ammo

I went to a gun show this weekend and there was a table selling 20rd boxes of .308 ammo for $8.00 a box. The boxes were green and looked like they were made of cheap paper, (not shiny like name brand but more like construction paper).The only writing was on the front of each box which said "Winchester (7.62 x 51) 150gr. The bullets looked fairly old but in decent shape.

Has anyone else seen these and might know more about them? Are they old surplus? I tried to look them up on google but without more info, I couldn't find anything that came close to what I saw at the show. I wish I would have had enough sense to take a picture but it was really crowded and with all that was going on, it didn't hit me until I was on the way home.

Since the boxes were so generic and didn't state who made them, I decided to pass on it but at $8.00 a box, I probably should have picked one up.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/fi...-part-am308-02

Like that? 80s production Sellier and Bellot Czech ammo.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
StukaJU87

Wow, that was quick!

I figured without a photo and my vague description, nobody would have any idea what I was talking about. Lol

Now for the obvious questions: Is it any good? Is it ok to use in a M1a for plinking?
Old October 21, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

Its supposedly kind of crappy. People complain of hard primers. It is corrosive also. I wouldn't run it through an M1a.

Well, it appears people are about 50/50 on it. Some say it works fine and others, not so much. In my opinion, $8 for 20 isn't a good enough deal for how much of a pain it will be.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
StukaJU87

Thanks for the info! I figured something had to be off if it was selling for $8.00 a box.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:55 AM   #6
jonnyc

It's decent ammo, but corrosive. I would only use it in a bolt-action that is easier to clean properly.
Old October 22, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Malamute

Back in the 80's there was a bunch of corrosive, berdan primed German made 7.62 ammo coming in. It was $2/box retail at the time. Who cares if its corrosive. Cleaning a rifle isn't that hard to do. I shot a LOT of it in my H-K 91 at the time. I never had any troubles or complaints with it at all. Wish I'd bought a boxcar of it at that price.

Whats the big deal about corrosive? Use a good solvent, and it isn't a problem. Shooters Choice cleaned up the nasty German stuff just fine.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Eghad

If you use corrosive ammo in a M1A all that corrosive salt nastiness goes into the gas tube. Which means you have to take the gas plug and piston out and clean all the corrosive salts out of you M1A. Same for a M1 Garand.

If its a bolt action its easy to clean up after corrosive ammo.

NRA Life Member
Old October 23, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Malamute

I didn't realize M-1A's were that difficult to clean.

M-1 Garands aren't. The H-K wasn't.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-