The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 31, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
dgludwig

Barrel Twist-rate Question

I have a Browning 1885 Low Wall rifle chambered in .223. From what I can tell with the rotation of my cleaning rod, the barrel seems to have a 1:12" twist. Does this sound right? Thanks.
Old July 31, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Creeper

Yep, the relatively slow, 1:12~1:14 is "traditional"... sort of. Kinda old style compared to more modern 1:7, 8, 9 twists... but then again, there weren't too many heavy bullets in .223 not all that many years ago.
Doubtful you will have much success using a longer/heavier bullet than 55/60 gr, as it may not stabilize, but you can easily go down to 40 gr.

Cheers,
C
Old August 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
dgludwig

Thanks, Creeper. I've got an AR-15 with a 1:8 twist and a Mini-14 with (I think) a 1:9 twist for those heavier .223 bullets.
Old August 1, 2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Creeper

I love the look of a low wall target rifle with a external adj. Unertl. Below is a Roger Ferrell collaboration for the American Custom Gunmakers Guild... a real stunner.

Cheers,
C
Old August 1, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
dgludwig

WOW! That just about takes your breath away. Beautiful rifle, indeed.
Old August 1, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Creeper

I love single shot rifles... just something about them that exudes style, class and the romance of days gone by.
Ruger #1s, the various Martini actions, Lechners, Stevens 44 1/2 reproductions, Ballards, Dakota Arms and the rare Ed Yost. All beautiful, all special.

C
Old August 1, 2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Prof Young

Rem seven to Savage

Riflemen:
I had a Rem 7 chambered in 223 that had a one in twelve twist. I was still a newbie when I loaded some 68grain bullets and they tumbled. Couldn't figure out what was wrong for a while. Thought I'd increase my accuracy with a heavier bullet but made it worse instead.

Well, I sold the Rem 7 and bought a Savage with a one in nine twist. It's a tack driver with everything I 've fed it. 50 grain bullets on up to 68.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 2, 2012, 01:56 AM   #8
impalacustom

All of the M16's of the 60's were a 1:12 twist, they were made for the 55gr bullet. If you push the 62's fast they will stabilize as well.

The Winchester low walls were very slow twist, my 22 wcf is something like 1:24 if I remember right.