The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2000, 06:36 PM   #1
J. Parker

...rousing bear thread in awhile...my latest camp gun/bear gun is a S&W mod 657 41 magnum. Six inch barrel worn crossdraw. Beats the hell out of luggin' around a 12 gauge. I don't handload for now. I guess that's where the potential is. Does Federal's 250gr. Hardcast hunting load sound okay for now? Lower 48 states use only. Best Regards, J. Parker
Old December 10, 2000, 07:29 PM   #2
Jay Baker

J. Parker, my "around camp" gun, always on my hip or shoulder holster, is a Mdl. 57 S&W, 6", .41 mag., with my handloads. 250 gr. Beartooth hard cast gas check bullet, and 18 grs. H2400... or, same with 13 grs Blue Dot. Both shoot to same point of aim.

I haven't tested it but would bet that 250 hardcast Fed., would do you quite well.

Other times, I carry my Ruger B.H. .45 L.C., 4 5/8", 300 gr. Beartooth hard cast G.C., and a stout dose of 296.

I hunt and camp in heavy duty bear country, so believe strongly in being prepared. I've found over these many years, that I rarely have quick access to a rifle, while doing myriad camp chores. The handgun, however, is always there.

J.B.
Old December 10, 2000, 07:44 PM   #3
J. Parker

Jay; All those years I had that 12 gauge just leanin' up somewhere instead of in my hands where it should have been. Thanks for the input, J. Parker
Old December 10, 2000, 07:48 PM   #4
BadMedicine

SHHHHHHHHHH!!!! don't let kieth rogan hear you talking about having a 41 mag for "bear protection." Anything less than a 12guage pump, or a 45-70(is that it?) guide gun, or you're in for a lecture He likes to advocate pressurized tabasco for bear defense. But I put my faith in lead. Speaking of which, where is keith? I haven't seen him post in some time. It is hunting season though, he's probably on walk-a-bout somewhere looking for bears and deer.
Old December 10, 2000, 08:20 PM   #5
J. Parker

He might not get on me to bad- it's the lower 48 after all. I went into this gunshop with every intention of getting a 44 maggie but I couldn't believe their prices. They wanted $580.00 for a S&W 44 maggie Mountain Gun. Here was this used, lonely, S&W 657 41 maggie wanting a home so I got it for $359.00. It was alot more in my price range. I'm happy with it. Smoothest trigger pull I've ever experienced. As far as bear spray is concerned, thanks, I'll pass, but I think he already knows this. Kisses, hugs, best, J. Parker
Old December 10, 2000, 09:52 PM   #6
J. Parker

Jay; Have done alot of camping in NE Oregon because Washington State doesn't like ATV's. Right next to Leman Springs is an ORV area dedicated to off road vehicles. Carried a Glock 21 (45 cal) for years but always thought shouldn't I carry something heavier? The 41 magnum in crossdraw should ride nice on an ATV. Best, J. Parker
Old December 10, 2000, 10:54 PM   #7
BadMedicine

Parker, I don't think WA state has anything against them, we didn't even need to get a trail permit for them like in Idaho, but it's just that Weyerhauser went and bought like 80% of the forests in the state, built all these logging roads, and then closed them to motorized vehicles. If you can find some forests that aren't weyerhauser owned you'll do fine. we used to hunt elk and some deer up passed white pass in the "rimrock" game unit. There are alot of roads that you can hunt with ATV's, but there're also alot of road hunters in cars and trucks.
Old December 10, 2000, 11:09 PM   #8
Jay Baker

J. Parker, you won't regret buying that .41. And, in a cross draw holster it is fairly comfortable on an ATV (or horse), but for me, it's more comfortable in a shoulder holster. Also, in camp, in the shoulder holster, it's out of the way when you're working, but always handy. Of course, "comfort" is relative to one's body build, etc etc. What works well for one person, won't necessarily work well for another.

That area of N.E. Oregon is certainly beautiful, and although I haven't hunted in that area, I hope to some day. I spend most of my hunting time in Idaho, anymore.

Bad Medicine, I agree with Mr. Rogan, re that 12 guage shotgun and rifled slugs, and I always have one in camp. But, I've never been able to figure out how to chop and saw firewood, carry it, carry buckets of water from the creek, put up tents and stoves, cook, do dishes, clean, carry and hang game, etc etc., while carrying a shotgun or my .338 W.M., in my hand. If I could, I would, but it ain't possible for me. Therefore, the heavy handgun, which is always with me while working, is my insurance policy.

By the way, I killed a 400 pound black bear with my .41 mag., so I know it'll do the job, if I do my part.

FWIW. J.B.

Old December 12, 2000, 12:01 AM   #9
Zorro

Bear Fight

Bear Fight