The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 5, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
ScotchMan

.22LR Revolver

I am in the market for a .22LR handgun, and I've decided I want it to be a revolver. I don't want to mess with magazines or feeding issues with cheap ammo in semi-automatics. The purpose for the gun will be primarily range use, plinking, and occasionally dispatching small critters.

I have narrowed down the selection to the Ruger SP101, and the S&W Model 63. I don't need something lightweight, so the 317s are out, and the 617 is very expensive.

I am leaning towards the S&W, I'm not sure why, maybe just because I feel like S&W revolvers are the Cadillac and Rugers are the Dodge. I had a SP101 in .38spl once and I didn't have any complaints with it. But I plan to keep this one for a while so I don't want any regrets.

I would like good target accuracy, so the longer sight radius on the 4" SP101 might be helpful. Are the triggers any different? What would you get?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 5, 2012, 10:33 AM   #2
BryanP

The model 63 can be had (used at least) in many barrel lengths. Mine is an older 4". You may have to go used to get something besides the 3" now.

The SP101 is a larger, heavier frame. I'd go handle both and see how they feel to you.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3
waltfraz

Look at used Dan wesson you can change barrels 2,4,6,8, 10,12 inch one of the best shooting 22's ever made
Old July 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #4
rclark

And don't count out the Ruger Single-Six and Single-Ten. I sure do like my 6 1/2" Single-Six! You have more barrel length choices to you as well blued or stainless. The Single-Six comes with the Magnum cylinder when needed/desired (hardly ever use/will use mine though). My Single-Six has replaced the Rough Rider that used to always go to the range with me. Shoots more accurate than I can, and will last several lifetimes....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; July 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Both good but between those two I probably would go with the Ruger. Partly prejudice here because I have a 1976 bicentennial model Ruger single six and it is easily as accurate as my S&W M41 out to 25 yards. However the sights on the SP 101 would be a lot easier on my old eyes making it better for the fun shooting at 50 to 100 yards.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old July 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
aarondhgraham

Have you considered a Charter Arms Pathfinder?,,,

Have you considered a Charter Arms Pathfinder?

My lady friend has one and it's a very nice handgun.

People seem to want to lump it in with Taurus guns as far as quality goes,,,
My experience with the Charter Arms Pathfinder has been good,,,
And it is American made with a lifetime warranty.

There is nothing fancy about this gun,,,
Just a nicely built reliable shooter.

Just tossing out a much less expensive option for you.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 5, 2012, 10:51 AM   #7
model18

find an older model 63 (or 34) and you'll be set for life!
Old July 5, 2012, 11:38 AM   #8
SteelChickenShooter

Yes the 617 cost a lot, but a 6 inch model 617 would be the gun to have. Mine was costly, but I made no mistake when I got it. I put grooved Pachmayer grips on it. It's the only 22 revolver I would ever want or need.
Old July 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
And don't count out the Ruger Single-Six and Single-Ten.
+1 on that. You can pick up a good used Single-Six for about $350. It will shoot any brand you feed it and should last you a lifetime and then some.
Old July 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #10
azsixshooter

Go with Ruger, then you don't have to suffer the dreaded "hillary hole" infernal lock!

+1 for the Single Six!
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old July 5, 2012, 01:00 PM   #11
Woody55

American Heritage

I bought an American Heritage Rough Rider a few months ago. It comes with a .22 LR cylinder and a .22 Magnum cylinder.

I've shot maybe 200 rounds (from my plastic baggie of mixed rounds). They all fired just fine.

It shoots a bit low - 2" at 10 yards. I can hit a soda can most every time at 15 yards which is all I want it for.

I use it for cans and the first pistol if I am teaching someone to shoot.

I find loading and clearing this single action revolver one round or case at a time to be soothing.

I think I payed about $190 for it.
Old July 5, 2012, 01:16 PM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

My Ruger single six didn't work worth a darn so I dumped it. The only 22 revolver I kept and will not sell is the 6 inch model 617
Old July 5, 2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Doyle

Quote:
My Ruger single six didn't work worth a darn so I dumped it.
You're the first person I've ever heard that said anything bad about the Single Six (other than those who discovered that they simply don't like the feel of a single-action revolver). What was it that didn't work correctly?
Old July 5, 2012, 01:56 PM   #14
SteelChickenShooter

The 22LR worked mostly with better ammo brands, but the 22 mags did not fire. Extremely shallow indents in the rims.
Old July 5, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
aarondhgraham

There really aren't a lot of choices,,,

There really aren't a lot of choices,,,

Single Action:
  • Cimarron Plinkerton
  • Heritage Arms
  • Ruger Bearcat
  • Ruger Single Six
  • Ruger Single Ten

Double Action:
  • Charter Arms Pathfinder
  • Taurus Model 94
  • Taurus 970 & 990 Tracker
  • S&W 317
  • S&W 617
  • S&W 63
  • S&W 43C
  • S&W Model 18 Classic
  • S&W Model 17 Classic
  • Ruger SP-101
  • Ruger LCR 22
  • Czechpoint 241/261

I've only listed current production guns,,,
And I am sure there are several I have missed,,,
But I'll be danged if my old brain cells can recall any others.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; July 5, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old July 5, 2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Doyle

Steel, it sounds like your particular gun had a week hammer spring. It's a shame that something that could have been a minor fix turned you off of a potentially nice shooter.
Old July 5, 2012, 03:30 PM   #17
SteelChickenShooter

Yeah I'm funny that way when it comes to firearms. I expect perfection and rarely find it. Any malfunction and I'm turned off at whatever it is. It would be a rare thing for me to fuss with correcting a firearm when I expect it to perform out of the box. Not really a big fan of sending things back. I sell them off and let the new owners dink around with that sort of thing. The very few guns I have remaining have all proven to be flawless keepers. I happen to know the Ruger did work fine after repair. I just lost any interest in it and am quite pleased with my model 617.
Old July 5, 2012, 05:38 PM   #18
Corona

Rather than spend $700 on a Smith, I found a High Standard Sentinel R100 at my LGS for $165. Cometically challenged but locks up like a bank vault. Great plinker and I've had great fun with this little revolver.

I'd recommend you search for one of these or an HSR 929.

Just my thoughts. YMMV
Old July 5, 2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
I have narrowed down the selection to the Ruger SP101, and the S&W Model 63. I don't need something lightweight, so the 317s are out, and the 617 is very expensive.
The 63 is pretty lightweight. I have shot the Ruger and was unhappy with the trigger. The 63's trigger is not that great either, as it is a small frame (j-frame) rimfire. And they aren't cheap. I got a good deal on one, did some trigger work on it, and it is a fun plinker, but if you go S&W, get a k-frame (17, 18 or 617). The k-frame is simply a better choice in rimfire. You can find a 17 used for less than you will pay for a new SP101, if you bide you time and keep your eyes open.

I wish S&W would make an N-frame 22lr. :drool:
Old July 5, 2012, 06:44 PM   #20
kingrider

I agree with the model 17.I have a -4 model and never shot a 22 revolver that compared.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am leaning towards the S&W, I'm not sure why, maybe just because I feel like S&W revolvers are the Cadillac....
Definitely true.
Overpriced, using old technology, tweaked out of spec when you breath on them wrong, have restrictions on their diet, have "safety features" you don't want, require frequent maintenance, and tear themselves apart when pushed to their advertised limits. Definitely a good analogy.

I consider current S&W production to be only a slight step above Cimmaron and Heritage. Sure, it goes bang; but the finish sucks, quality sucks, and they just aren't what they used to be...

This isn't a "buy the Ruger" rant, either.

I just don't consider current S&W production to be worthy of their reputation. If you don't like the other offerings... Buy used.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:25 PM   #22
JasonWilliam

I'm actually selling a Single Six Hunter I picked up a couple months ago. Fantastic gun that I am positive I'll regret selling. But the truth is it was bought for my wife who has decided she'd prefer a smaller lighter semi auto 22lr to plink with, and since we're out of room in the safe, this one's got to go.

If you're interested, let me know.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:41 AM   #23
9mm

617 It's the heaviest, most over built thing for a 22lr. Should be good for life.

I enjoy all my 22lr revolvers :-)

I don't regret paying $700 for my 617. No autos, just revolvers in 22. I already want another.. lol Probly be the Taurus 22lr/22mag combo in 6 inch. I REALLY like 22lr revolvers if you cant tell..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00279.JPG (144.2 KB, 868 views)

Last edited by 9mm; July 6, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:56 AM   #24
Frasier

I am also in the market for a good .22 revolver (I'd like to dump my MK 3) and would like some feedback on the single six. Does the interchangable cylinder have the same accuracy on both .22 lr and .22 Magnum?
Old July 6, 2012, 04:09 AM   #25
Scrumbag

I went with the SW-17 (2nd hand shooter grade one)

Good luck with your choice and happy shooting!

ATB,

Scrummy