The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
scroadkill

HD/3gun suggestions please

So Ive got a number of shotguns and i'm thinking I'de like to arrange one to be a bit more handy for home defense. Likewise a few buddies and i are starting to shoot some light backyard 3gun "competitions"..

in house:
Rem 1100 12ga w/ 28" vr + 3 round ext.
Rem 1100 magnum w/ 30" VR 3" 12ga (that I have no use for)
Rem 11 20ga

All are family hand me downs and I don't want to sell.

And I just dropped $400 on a Benelli Nova 12ga/28" for my kid. and im feeling poor at the moment.

Any ideas that are better than cutting down the 1100 mag and drilling another gas port.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I found I could keep up with the guys running semi-autos with my Mossberg 590. I had a local smith smooth out the action a bit.

You say you have a 3" 1100 you have no use for? Sounds like you have trading stock to me.

I once had a Benelli M2 and it was hands down the best semi-auto shotgun I have ever owned.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Bake

When I first started shooting shot gun matches (side match, or 3 Gun) I would check out the course and the different stages. I found that a short barrel really isn't needed most of the time. I bet your 28" would be "Good-to-Go" for a lot of your shooting. I like a longer barrel for stages where I must stand & shoot 5 or 6 pepper popper at on time. The weight, and the longer barrel will get you back on target (after the recoil), faster (IMO). Even the 30"er will be a good choice, if you don't have to craw around in the mud, and shoot thru "Portholes" or from under tables...

As far as the 20 ga goes, that's a class thing, sometimes you may want to go the lighter class and win. Where as you would be in the middle of the 12 ga pack...

Last edited by Bake; November 13, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 14, 2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Virginian

Remington 1100s and Benelli M2s seem to be the most popular among serious competitors. I would find a non vent ribbed 2-3/4" barrel for either of your 1100s and cut that down rather than trash a good vent ribbed barrel. With a 2-3/4" barrel the Magnum will run most anything, but beware of real heavy stuff ewith the magnum action sleeve and 2 gas ports. The non ribbed barrels go for cheap, too. Check ebay.
Old November 14, 2013, 11:03 AM   #5
shortwave

What V-n-LA said.

Why not just get a smoothbore slug bbl for one of your 1100's?