The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 15, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Ignition Override

Tiny cuts on pulled .311 cupro-nickel bullets. How much erosion?

Some of these are copper jackets, but many of the copper and all of the silver colored cupro-nickel have one or two really tiny cut marks. Let's make clear that I already have this batch.

The cuts can barely snag a fingernail and are not easy to see.
They are about 1/8" above the cannellure, parallel to it, straight and very short.

Would such tiny slices in this silver coating cause only very minor wear in steel bores after several hundred bullets?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, Ignition Override. When those bullets are fired thru bore..They are going to have at least 4 VERY deep "cuts" equally spaced on them! I would be more concerned about cleaning out cupro-metal fouling than any bore wear.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Ignition Override

Thanks.
As long as the lands aren't really scraped by such small cuts, which are perpendicular to the direction of travel, then no sweat. It's hard for me to imagine that there would be no cumulative wear at 2,400 fps.

Even though I have four Enfield #4s and two #5s which use these, I prefer to ask such a question before reloading many more Prvi cases with another 1,000 or more of these cheap bullets.
My gun interest began late in life and it's hard to estimate what is acceptable in so many situations. My friend/Gun Guru (retired from
Navy Marks. Team) will be moving away soon, and he never owned Enfields etc or reloaded for any milsurps except his M-1A or his eighteen Garands (most won as prizes in matches).
Old May 16, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those marks are probably from the bullet puller that was used to remove them from factory ammunition, or they could be from the stab crimp used in some British ammunition. Either way, they are not a problem because soft cupro-nickel can't possibly scratch hard barrel steel. Even the soft steel used in steel jackets has very little effect on barrels when fired in reasonable quantities.

FWIW, if those bullets really have cupro-nickel jackets, I suggest not firing them or firing them at low velocity. Cupro-nickel fouling is the very devil to get out once it begins to build up in a barrel.

Jim
Old May 21, 2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Ignition Override

They were bought from a guy who previously (a year ago) had several batches of both .311 and .308 bullets for sale on GB, under "Reloading".
All of those batches seem to be gone.