The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 17, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Junior member
Join Date: February 10, 2009
Posts: 974
Barrel liners

here is my questio, who is actually making them these days? the few i can find online are all for converting your weapon into a 22 or .17
Newton24b is offline  
Old May 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Location: Washington state
Posts: 12,860
What are you trying to do? To reline a barrel to centerfire, there are a few people who do it. You can call John Taylor at Taylor Machine 253-445-4073. Cost is about the same as rebarreling, but many people who want the original markings left intact prefer to reline a barrel rather than rebarrel and lose the original markings.
Never try to educate someone who resists knowledge at all costs.
But what do I know?
Summit Arms Services
Taylor Machine
Scorch is offline  
Old May 18, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Junior member
Join Date: February 10, 2009
Posts: 974
well im thinking of a centerfire to center fire conversion. so far the only handgun barrels i can find are pencil barrels for smith and colt revolvers circa 1950-1960, and a few liners that turn your gun into a rim fire.
Newton24b is offline  
Old May 19, 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,159
The tubes usually called "liners" are thin and cannot be used with high pressure cartridges. The reason is that when reaming out the original barrel enough space must be left for the solder or whatever is used to keep the liner in place. That means the liner is smaller than the barrel, so it must be able, itself, to contain the pressure, otherwise the liner will expand in an irregular manner depending on the irregularities of the solder or epoxy.

When it is desired to "line" the barrel for use with high pressure ammunition, a standard lightweight barrel is machined down so it will fit into the original barrel. Unless the original barrel was quite thick, it becomes a thin shell. But the inner barrel (some call it an "insert", reserving the term "liner" for the low pressure kind) must be thick enough to hold the pressure. Not many gunsmiths will do that work and they usually do it with many caveats and cautions.

That kind of "insert" is usually used where the rifle is a collectors item and it is desired to keep the original barrel markings.

Jim K
James K is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07674 seconds with 9 queries