The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Drummer101

Smooth bore slug gun

Now that my Beretta is going to be fitted I have some money to do something else.

One thing that is on my list is a smooth bore slug gun mainly for hunting and "plinking".

It has to have a wood stock! For a nice recoil pad and easier for adjustments.

I am still debating about doing sights vs bead... I am thinking sights as that is all this gun would do is slugs.

I like the look of the Winchester 1200 defender (not sure why...)

But from what I have seen slugs like to be shot through a slight choke or even modified. And more smooth bores that are less than 26" are cylinder.

Ideal would be about 20inches I think. Weight does not matter and if heavier even better.

For cost reasons I am thinking a pump would be more than enough.

Any thoughts? I am hoping for less than $500 new or used.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
zippy13

Slug guns come in two varieties: smooth and rifled barrels. If you like the looks of a W-1200, go for it, just don't expect sabot accuracy. In a previous thread on slugs, one of the members reported very good accuracy with a smooth bore and reloaded ammo using home cast slugs from a Lee mold. That sounds like a lot of plinking fun for way, way less than shooting sabots from a rifled barrel. If you can't set up a nice W-1200 smooth bore slugster for less than $500, then do some more shopping. Good luck and have fun.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Doyle

Finding a slug barrel for a Beretta is going to be more difficult and MUCH more expensive than for a Mossberg, Winchester, or Remington. You might not get much of a selection either. If you really want to shoot slugs, definately go with the sights instead of a bead. You'll need to adjust them for windage and elevation in order to stand a decent chance of hitting your target.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Drummer101

I am only look for minute of dear to about 80 yards.

I prefer smooth bore as those slugs are $2.50 for 5 rather than $10 for 5 like the sabots. Re loading is not an option right now.

And the milk jugs dont care if it is a sabot of a hunk of lead

I have a 870 but it is more of a HD kind of gun and a pain to take off the barrel clamp. And I dont want to add sights to the receiver.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Nnobby45

Just tested some Brenneke slugs. Brenneke HD and Special Forces magnum--both in 2 3/4".

Nothing fancy, just a duffel bag over the car hood. At 50 yds. both grouped 3shots into 2 1/2" @ 50 yds. I know they'll do better with a proper bench set up.

The HD shot 2" lower than the SF. Windage was the same. With one about an inch high and the other 1" low from point of aim, both are well sighted with the same adjustment.

I did it with my Scattergun Tech Border Patrol model that Wilson converted from an 870 hunting gun. It has a 20" bbl., plastic stock.

The HD 1 oz. was 1400, 1410 and 1416 (very consistent) fps and the SF magnum was about the same with a 1 1/8 oz slug.

The point is, without the good rifle sight setup, I never could have determined much about the accuracy of the slugs or barrel. A bead sight just wouldn't have done it. If you want to plink, add a little precision afforded by the rifle sights in order to take advantage of the full accuracy potential of the slugs. Shoot and compare how they zero and what groups you can get.

Try that with a bead, and everything will look pretty much the same, and you won't have much of a plinker.

Beads are great for fast, close up work or wingshooting, but not for any kind of precision. You can even replace the standard bead with a big one, or even F.O.

There are good slugs on the market that are more accurate than before. Fed. TruBall and some of the Brennekes, for example. You need rifle sights to take advantage.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Nnobby45; May 7, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
giaquir

If you want minute of deer at 80 yds,
buy a mossberg 590A1 with a ghost ring.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Drummer101

I am looking at a

Benelli Nova 24 inch (super NOVA has a better stock)
Mossberg (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+PTT+HRDWDSGRN) if the choke is removable.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Gunplummer

Mossberg used to sell pumps with an "Extra" slug barrel that had rifle sights. Both barrels were smooth bores and the set was cheap. They may still sell something like that. You should at least be able to pick up a barrel cheap.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Drummer101

Well I decided to put this shotgun on hold till I can afford to shoot sabots out of a rifled barrel.

So instead I bought a semi custom EDC knife

Last edited by Drummer101; May 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Mossberg 9200 12 gauge with 18 1/2" barrel, rifle hi viz sights, full choke, 4" - 6" consistently at 100 yards with both Brenneke and Foster slugs. I might lose a little velocity but the deer will never know the difference. My other shotguns I shoot slugs with use IM chokes because that works better for them, most any choke between IC and IM will work, just experiment to see what flavor your gun likes.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 10, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Drummer101

I like that shotgun.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:41 PM   #12
Edward429451

Quote:
I am only look for minute of dear to about 80 yards.
I suppose it's good that you're apparently giving her a head start, but I don't understand how she could make you so angry.

Seriously, I do pretty good with Foster slugs in an 18.5" Cyl Bore bbl with only a bead. I can keep them allon a paper plate at 50 or 60 yards, and a 12 X 24 at 100 yds. Thats good enough for Deer.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Drummer101

For the amount of practice I can do I do not feel comfortable using a bead for hunting with slugs.
Old May 10, 2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Sheikyourbootie

I just use Foster or Brenake slugs. If I want a rifled barrel I'll use a rifle. With a simple gold bead sight, I'm able to keep the fosters slugs in about a 4" group....not moa accuracy, but it should do in a pinch.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FYI, 101.....

Back when my paychecks came from the MD prison system, the PTB decreed that ALL COs not only qualified with buck but had to shoot a couple slugs yearly for "Familiarization".

This was from bead sighted, riot barreled 870s.

Every one got hits at 25 yards, though few found it enjoyable. The few folks who accepted my challenge found themselves inserting slugs into the vitals on a B27 at 50 yards without much trouble from offhand.

And, back in the day before I equipped my slug shooters with peep sights, I did take a number of whitetails using a bead. Results were very good, ranges were modest,within 50 yards.

Currently, with KOs, Frankenstein will put them into about 2.5" at 50 yards form the bench, IMO, that's minute of deer.....