The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 6, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1
M1Rifle30-06

Glock 21: Good Gun?

Saw a Glock 21SF Gen 3 that I like. Reading online, I see a lot of people say they like them but also a lot of people say it's the "worst Glock made". How is it?

I also read about "KaBoom" issues with them. Should I be worried about that? What kind of longevity can I expect out of one?

Last edited by M1Rifle30-06; May 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
5RWill

Glock 21 is good to go. I have a gen 4 600rds so far no malfunctions. Haven't done that much reading on the gen 3 21 but i haven't heard anything bad about it.

Last edited by 5RWill; May 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Saw a Glock 21SF Gen 3 that I like. Reading online, I see a lot of people say they like them but also a lot of people say it's the "worst Glock made". How is it?

I have both the Gen3 and Gen4 models, and the Gen4 is probably one of their best models, hands-down.

I also read about "KaBoom" issues with them. Should I be worried about that?

Only if you're shooting reloads, and you have a squib or double-charge...

What kind of longevity can I expect out of one?

The Gen3 I'm using as a nightstand pistol was an LE trade-in, and was produced in 1996. I have a Glock 23 which is even older, and I still have and shoot it, too.

Hope that helps.
Old May 7, 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
giaquir

I have a glock 21SF and the Ambi
mag release just fell out of the mag well,
now the mag couldn't lock into the frame.
After research on the web,I read where
the new ambi frames can have issues.
I called Glock and told them my issue
and that I would like the frame that is
not "ambi".
I fully expected to pay for this but
they sent me a new frame and never
had a problem since.
ron
Old May 7, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Tnglock

The 21 and 30 is the best glocks made hands down. I have a 21 made in 1988 and a new gen 3 made 2010. When something happens around the house if i cant reach the shotgun its one of the 21's. I would take the 21 over a 1911 any day 13 rds and combat ready
Old May 7, 2012, 09:27 AM   #6
RT

G21 is a great gun. Both the Gen 3, gen 3 SF and Gen 4.

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/
Old May 7, 2012, 09:28 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Longevity has come up before. There is without a certain amount of plastic degradation, especially for a gun that is exposed to sunlight regularly. Simply no way to avoid it. I think most people have agreed that even for a gun open carried 5 days a week in North America the time frame that this becomes an issue is in excess of 50 years and probably double or triple that. Laughable at first, but I have a few guns that are in excess of 100 years old, have seen a fair amount of abuse, and I still shoot them without a second thought.

Also, having lived close to the equator a bit, I have to say the sun damage in such areas would likely eat the polymers up much faster. Plastic clothespins in southern Mexico start to fall apart after 6 months of sitting on the line(much cheaper plastic I know, but still amazed me). My neighbors hang their clothes out in Ohio and their clothes pins are years old and only show a little fading.

When you look for Glock Kaboom stories keep in mind how many of them are sold. If they had a catastrophic failure rate 1/10th that of most manufacturers they would still have more total failures.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:55 AM   #8
giaquir

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192572
Old May 8, 2012, 07:28 AM   #9
RT

From Glock faq

"Commercial price for hi-grade Nylon 6 is about $3.50/lb. Commerical price for hi-carbon steel is about $1.50/lb. Sounds to me like the Glock is actually a better buy. Anyway, I did a little research and got a smattering of information on the Glock plastic "formula". One source says "more highly guarded than the Coke formula". From 3 human and 5 technical sources, Glock uses an out-sourced proprietary hybrid polymer mix with a base of Nylon 6. The frames are cast and offer high strength, wear resistance, abrasion resistance, and good resiliency, good ductility and toughness. Fracture mechanics are excellent with defect ratios below 1. Do not compare to extruded Nylons because it is different. Casting prices range from $3-$50/pound depending on process and intricacy. The Glock is considered highly-intricate due to imbedded metallic components. Offers long term performance at elevated and depressed temperatures. Chemically stable in a majority of environments, attacked directly by strong acids and bases (better than steel actually). UV exposure results in degradation over an extended period of time. 2-3% carbon black virtually eliminates UV degradation and Carbon-Black does not become readily absorbed in Nylons offering higly increased useful life spans. Loss of mechanical properties with 2% Carbon-Black is less than 0.05% on an elevated UV exposure test equivalent to approximately 100 years. Hyrdolytically attacked by water in excess of 120 degrees. Basically, no hot-tubbing with your Glock and you will be fine. Tupperware is not made from Nylon BTW. Hope this answered some questions."
Old May 8, 2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Skans

Glock plastic works, no doubt, but blued steel is prettier. Lots of guns are "good", "work", and are reliable. Carry guns should have plastic frames. All other guns should be made out of forged, polished, nicely machined, hand-fitted steel. Life is too short to surround yourself with ugly guns.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
amprecon

It is the only semi-auto handgun I own. I shoot this handgun the best of all I've tried.
"Cause I got nothin' better to do."
Old May 8, 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
I see a lot of people say they like them but also a lot of people say it's the "worst Glock made". How is it?
I've never read any of this. I have no issues with any Glocks. Generally most of the issues are with the ones chambered in 40 S&W and even that is actually pretty rare. I've heard of a few issues with the G36, but as a rule any of them in 9mm, 10mm or 45 are considered to be pretty darn relaible.

This guy has had pretty good luck with his G21.

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/
Old May 8, 2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Mrgunsngear

Glock 21: Good gun---Hell no!

Great gun!

I have about 4500 rounds through mine with 0 malfunctions of any kind. Superb handgun IMO.

Full write up below but let me sum it up---I trust it as much as any other gun I own if not more. It's a beast.

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...00-rounds.html
Old May 8, 2012, 01:46 PM   #14
vaquero aleman

Its hard to beat the versatility of a G21. I know of at least 7 different rounds that can be fired(with proper modification) from a G21.

45 ACP, 45 ACP +P, 45 Super, 460 Rowland, 10MM, 400 Corbon, 40 Super. Yeh I know that 45 ACP and +P aint really all that different, but it makes for good stats.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; May 8, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:51 PM   #15
G. Freeman

The G-21 is a fantastic gun. Just make sure you like its grip. I had to sell mine (non-SF model) because it was just too fat for me. But it was very accurate & reliable.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Webleymkv

The Kabooms that I've heard of are, more often than not, in .40 S&W Glocks like the 22, 23, and 27 an most of those are with reloads. The combination of Glock's unsupported chambers and the .40 S&W's sensitivity to OAL (a slight decrease in OAL can cause a very dramatic spike in pressure) seems to be something of a perfect storm when ammunition of less-than-acceptable quality is used.

The issue does not seem to be anywhere near as prevalent in .45 ACP Glocks because .45 ACP is both lower pressure and has a much larger case volume making it less sensitive to OAL than .40 S&W. The only .45 Glocks I ever remember hearing about a KB with were a couple of incidents with models in .45 GAP which I suspect has OAL sensitivity much like .40 S&W does.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Snuffy308

This is a trick question, right? Out of approx. three dozen handguns from probably two dozen different manufacturers (six of them Glocks) the 21 is in the nightstand beside the bed. That's the highest praise I can give it.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:30 PM   #18
eldorendo

Gunny Hathcock carried one the last years of his life. Not a bad recommendation!!
Old May 8, 2012, 06:44 PM   #19
arch308

IMO you can't go wrong with a G21. I don't think it can be beat for the price.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:15 PM   #20
batmann

The Glock pistols probably have more love/hate than any handgun ever. Much of the 'rumors' are just that---rumors. I have and trust my Glock 22 GIII and would not hesitate to recommend one. I have over a 1000 rounds through mine and it has aleays gone bang when I pulled the trigger.
All of that said, it is a matter of personal taste if you like one or not.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:29 PM   #21
BikeNGun1974

Quote:
Commercial price for hi-grade Nylon 6 is about $3.50/lb. Commerical price for hi-carbon steel is about $1.50/lb. Sounds to me like the Glock is actually a better buy.
That assumes that the same amount of material by weight is used in a Glock as in another gun. A pound of plastic probably makes several Glock frames, while a pound of steel probably only makes 1 Sig frame.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:31 PM   #22
5RWill

Just hit the 650rd mark yesterday. Surprisingly i had my first malfunction ever. So 1 out of 663rds.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:03 PM   #23
temmi

I have a G21 and have had it for at least 10 years.

1000s of round out

Never any problems

It is not my best HG or the one I like best.

but

It is very good

Snake
Old May 9, 2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Departed402

I carry a Glock 21 to work, and I like it. In a two week period I put over 1000 rounds through it using Winchester target ammo. During that period the gun jammed only once, and it failed to return to full battery.The round fed into the chamber, but the slide didn't close all the way. It was pretty dirty at that point.

It's probably the only .45 I would care to personally own. I'm not a huge fan of either .45 or Glock, but they come together quite nicely.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:39 PM   #25
Te Anau

A Glock 21 is a good gun if it works for you.I'll take my S&W 4506 anyday.