The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
CS86

Ruger 1911

I was checking out the 1911 models last night and I had a guy suggest a ruger, and say that they can't seem to keep the ruger 1911 in stock. It sounded like ruger just started making this line of guns, and the price is reasonable. Has anyone tried this gun? Compared?

I've been hearing a bunch of hype also about the sig saur 1911. I recently bought a used kimber 1911 and was hoping to later trade it for a sig saur 1911, but after I checked out the sig stainless 1911 I was un-impressed with the rough finish. It just seemed clunky. I'm sure after the break in they seat in place better and smoothen out. I loved the sights on the sig. Then I checked out the springfield and they seemed to have a much smoother finish and just felt of better quality, and reminded me more of my kimber.

any thoughts?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:41 AM   #2
NJgunowner

The ruger has been discussed ad nauseam, try a search. Springfields are good guns.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Coach Z

I would agree, the search button is your friend. I started one or two threads on mine including reviews
Old May 4, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Marquezj16

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486260

This post address two of the 1911s mentioned.

My experience with my Sig 1911 is that it is a quality 1911 with excellent fit and finish, 100% function and very accurate.

My SA Milspec was exactly as I thought it would be. A little rougher finish, but 100% reliable and more accurate than I am capable of shooting.

As metioned by others do a search and you will have plenty of reading.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Ruger review. FWIW, Walt Kuleck (the author) is a firearms industry professional in his own right. Not a "gun writer" -- a retired manufacturer and engineer, as I understand it.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=91
Old May 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
TacticalDefense1911

What would be the purpose of this gun? If just a range toy then the Ruger would be okay, but a little over priced at the prices they are going for now considering the shortage of them. If it was for serious use I would pass unless you wanted to do substantial upgrades to it.

Sig is hit or miss. 10-8 Performance is doing a review of a Sig TacOps right now and they said the geometry of the external extractor is wrong. They have noticed very random ejection patterns. I have the same gun and have recognized the same problem as well as other major QC problems with the gun. I'd personally recommend that you stay away from Sig but some people have had good luck with them.

Springfield or Colt would be better choices. A Dan Wesson or used Les Baer would be even better. It all depends on your budget, the options you are looking for, and the purpose of the gun.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
rodfac

Can't say enough about this great 1911...it compares with my custom fitted Colts in accuracy and features at roughly 1/2 the price. I'd say you it'd be a good fit for you if you like a full size and weight 1911. If you don't find enuf info here, try either of the Ruger Forums...there's plenty there...but I'd say that 95% of what I've read on it is very positive. They're pretty hard to find, but I did see one locally here in Louisville for $650 a month ago. I've put over 1000 rounds through mine with no headaches and superb accuracy.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.