The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 15, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: August 6, 2009
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,776
in-state private to private Class III?

I have a local friend who's looking into getting rid of a FA gun he's not taken out of the safe in 20 years. I'm interested, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the intricacies of Class III transfers. Can we file the paperwork ourselves, or do we have to get a class III dealer involved?
I used to love being able to hit hard at 1000 yards. As I get older I find hitting a mini ram at 200 yards with the 22 oddly more satisfying.
mapsjanhere is offline  
Old July 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Junior member
Join Date: June 22, 2009
Location: E/Cntrl Fla.
Posts: 98
Yes, you can do it and you don't have to get a dealer (extra expense) involved. If you're the purchaser you pay or arrange a method thereof. He fills out the paperwork, includes the necessary tax,prints, CLEO approval, etc & when the paperwork is returned the gun is then transferred from him to you.

Did one a couple of years back on an MP40, indiv. to indiv. took about four months, absolutely no problems. In my case the purchaser paid up front, I signed a bill of sale, & we went from there. I received the form from ATF directing the transfer be accomplished as soon as practicable.
dogrunner is offline  
Old July 15, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,160
Two cautions:

1. Check local and state laws on both possession and transfer of FA weapons.

2. Make sure the gun in question is registered with the Feds (and the state if required). If the owner can't produce a Form 4, Form 5 or a Form 4467, decline the offer.

Unfortunately, some war vets and folks who inherited FA weapons didn't know about the registration requirements, so the guns are illegal. It is always a good idea to check.

Jim K
James K is offline  
Old July 15, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
David Hineline
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 1999
Location: South Sioux City, Nebraska
Posts: 704
If the buyer/seller do not know/understand the process, tossing $100 to a SOT dealer to fill their paperwork properly can avoid delays.
David Hineline is offline  
Old July 15, 2012, 08:05 PM   #5
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 24,160
Another interesting situation is where there is an interstate transfer of an NFA C&R firearm and the buyer has a C&R FFL. In that case, a seller, whether a federal licensee or not, can ship/take the firearm directly to the buyer without going through any dealer in either state.

Jim K
James K is offline  
Old July 16, 2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: August 31, 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,032
New Mexico is very gun friendly, no state issues. I don't know exactly where you live, but an NFA trust might be the easiest way to do the transfer. Check with Sandoval or Bernalillo County sheriff and ask if they will do MG transfer aprovals. I don't think either will, and I know the ABQ police chief won't, at least I've been told that.

You might want to check with Ron Peterson's or August Arms to see about the signoff.
medalguy is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2017 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.09567 seconds with 9 queries