The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
bigdaddy123

CZ 75 BD Police 9mm

For years, I've heard about the accuracy and dependability of the CZ 75.Been looking for a while for one.I ran across a 75 BD Police yesterday and bought it,haven't had a chance to shoot it yet,maybe I'll get to tomorrow.Info.or advice on this particular model would be appreciated.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

The "BD" is simply a standard 75B with a decocker instead of a safety lever. If you like decockers you'll probably love the gun. (The B="firing pin Block" and the D=Decocker.)

The BD (and all CZ decocker modes) decocks to the "half-cock" notch on the hammer, which means the trigger pull is slightly shorter and lighter on the first pull from the decocked position. Thereafter it's exactly like all other CZs: singe action, with the slide cocking the hammer for each following shot.

The decocker won't allow the firing pin to move forward unless the trigger is pulled fullly to the rear. No worries about "half-cock" carry (standard) or an accidental drop -- it can't fire.

If you haven't already been there, I'd suggest visiting and probably joining the CZ Forum at http://www.czforumsite.info/. Lots of CZ-savvy folks there, as well as input from the CZ Custom Shop and CZ staff, from time to time.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:03 AM   #3
chris in va

You'll really enjoy it, I had one for ten years. The trigger pull will be a bit gritty for a while until the sear and innards wear in. After about ten thousand rounds mine felt like it was on ball bearings.

Two minor parts will greatly improve the gun's shoot-ability, a 15# hammer spring and fiber optic front sight. It truly is a great handgun.
Old March 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
15# hammer spring
this is a very cheap and very good way to improve the trigger pull. it cleaned up the gritty feel in my trigger almost immediately and made it a little lighter.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old March 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Viper99

Don't have one. But it is next on line on my wish list.
Congrats
Old March 3, 2013, 03:36 PM   #6
bigdaddy123

Finally got to put a few rounds through my CZ.It's a keeper.I've always been partial to all steel handguns.My last couple of 9mm handgun purchases were Sig and FN,can't complain about their accuracy but they just didn't feel right.The FNP 9 is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever shot,but the extra weight of the CZ helps the balance.I also like the grips,they have enough concave under the slide to rest your thumb.I shot 40 rds.and I was very happy with balance and accuracy.I will do some trigger mods.on it,it is quite heavy.Thanks for the info.fellas.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Pilot

Quote:
No worries about "half-cock" carry (standard) or an accidental drop -- it can't fire.
Walt. I was having a discussion on another forum about the CZ-75 half cock position as a safe method of carry. Obviously, the decocker versions, 75BD, 75D PCR/P-01, etc are designed to carry at half cock. I always either read somewhere or maybe assumed that the 75B (manual safety) and other modern, manual safety 75's (SP-01, etc) were also designed to be safely carried at the half cock notch. I may be wrong, however. What is your take?
Old March 3, 2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Since both the decocker and safety models have a firing pin block, even if the hammer fell accidentally the firing pin can't go forward unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. This is true whether the hammer is slammed or dropped, or even if the half-cock notch is somehow damaged allowing the hammer to move.

The "half-cock notch" wasn't always there. My earliest pre-B didn't have it, and I later found that it wasn't a part of the original design, but a later enhancement to the pre-B design..

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 3, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
jreXD9

You're going to love that CZ. The Compact 75 that I had and the 2075 Rami alloy 9 that I currently carry are the most accurate guns I've had.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Pilot

Thanks for the info Walt. That's what I thought, but it's good to get confirmation. Therefore, the pre-B's without the firing pin block should be carried with the hammer all the way down or cocked and locked. Got it.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:23 PM   #11
LarryFlew

Not a fan of the decoker models but have a lot of the rest and multiples of the 75B and every one of them is great! Have had P01 and PCR but sold and bought safety versions since they where my only decockers.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:43 AM   #12
Pilot

I wish CZ would come out with a manual safety version of the PCR and P-01. However, I keep my PCR as it is just that good, and don't carry the CZ's C&L anyway, so the decocker is OK. I just find it unnecessary.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Walt Sherrill

While CZ hasn't come out with an alloy-framed gun that has the manual safety, I think you can get one from the CZ Custom Shop.

Such guns -- from the factory -- DO exist, but they're rare. CZ has made a number of eccentric models (some of them seemingly one-of-a-kind) over the years, from the factory -- and you never know what you might stumble across.

One of the guys I knew on the CZ Forum had an alloy-framed "Compact" -- like the PCR (with an alloy frame). I think his had the standard CZ trigger rather than the more-sharply curved PCR trigger. It had the standard "Compact" sights, not the PCR sights.

I've had several Compacts, but over time came to think they weren't enough different from the full-size 75Bs to bother with. One that was lighter (from the alloy frame) would be more interesting.

Here's MY favorite compact, with an extended slide release (which I wish I had kept, when I sold it, and Flame Ambione grips.) It was a great-shooting gun, but I had other guns I liked better. It was traded away some years ago. (I also had a Sphinx compact, which was even nicer, but a bit flashier with a stainless steel FRAME*; it's gone, now, too.) I have never found another extended slide release since; this was for an Witness. I'm a big CZ enthusiast, but not blindly so -- I like a number of different guns.

*Just reread. When I first wrote that I said it had a stainless steel SLIDE; brain flatulence... It was the frame that was FLASHY stainless, not the slide. The slide was matte black.

Note: An earlier responder above wondered whether other CZ slide stops would work, giving him functional equivalent of an extended slide stop. I would suggest he talk with CZ customer service people before buying one of those other slide stops; the slide stops are not cheap and they are all subtly different -- some made wider to accommodate a different frame width, some with different tangs to accommodate a different caliber (.40 vs. 9mm), etc.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 7, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #14
LarryFlew

Canik makes an alloy frame like the PCR but with a safety which is what I purchased as a replacement for my PCR.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:57 PM   #15
RBid

The first firearm I really fell for was a CZ 75 BD. I have never owned one, but a friend of mine has one, and I got a lot of trigger time before he moved to CO. I will own one, eventually. That will be my legacy gun. My kids will inherit it, barring ridiculous legislation.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Pilot

Walt, that's great info and interesting stuff, thanks.

On the Canik. They look like a solid choice and a very good CZ clone. I wouldn't mind trying them out.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:09 PM   #17
60DRB

I bought a "plain Jane" CZ-75 in Germany back around 1989 for $275.00. It has the "horrible" baked enamel finish and no import markings. Without a doubt the most accurate and reliable pistol I own. Never had a malfunction with thousands of rounds through it, from 147 grain new to 115 gr. surplus. And the finish is still fine.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Viper99

Walt,
That is just beautiful.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:16 PM   #19
bigdaddy123

Very nice Mr.Sherrill
Old March 7, 2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Walt Sherrill

Those grips were made by Hakan Pek and later checkedered by another craftsman before I got them (and I don't know who that was.) I won them in a drawing on the CZ Forum some years ago.

Two grip sources I can recommend:

Hakan Pek -- who has had some health problems, but has been working his way through them. (He's overseas, but has sold a lot of grips here in the U.S.)

http://imageseek.com/hakan/

Omega Grips: http://www.czgrips.us/
Old March 11, 2013, 09:32 PM   #21
triumph666

bought one just recently...love it all around!
Old March 12, 2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Frettbird

I bought a cz 75b recently from a man who was selling off his collection due to some investment problems, he'll be fine.

The firearm had been shot maybe 20 times. It's like new and is big hand friendly, accurate at 25 yards and solid as a rock.
I think 325$ was a good deal. It is in a safe among my other extensive collection of firearms. I had some investment problems recently, I may have to sell it. I'll be fine./
In half cocked position, manual safety off, the first shot is a bit heavier than the subsequent shots. But the first one is the important one and the others all blur in the brain. It's a beauty.

This S&W 642 on my crossdraw hip is jealous when I bring these 'new fangled' pieces home. I need to pick a system and go with it.

But as you will see, a simple revolver and a trench coat can be effective:

http://youtu.be/Ex83z1B7GJo
Old March 13, 2013, 06:34 PM   #23
tekarra

Welcome aboard Frettbird. That was an excellent price for a 75B in the condition you describe. Hang on to it if possible.