The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 10, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Skullygirl

Ear Protection for smaller head?

I am new to range shooting (mainly with a revolver) and have been "borrowing" my husband's ear protection. I'm not sure exactly what the style is called...but they look like giant old skool headphones. I quite like the general function of these because they block out much of the sound, and they can be easily slung around my neck when not in use. The only problem is they are kind of big for my head (no adjustments). I'll be picking up something of my very own, with size adjustments, or something designed for smaller heads. But before I do so, I was hoping for suggestions on what features to look for and what people like/don't like about the various options out there.

Thanks!
Old April 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

I prefer just the little ear plugs. Whether they are the foamies, or the better rubber/plastic ones. I have a cheap pair of the bigger over the ear ones and I find they get in the way when shooting rifles.
Maybe I don't have the right over the ear ones... But I stick with the disposable ones and as long as they are inserted properly they work really good for me.
Old April 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #3
surveyor

i prefer the kind that the ear cups can adjust up and dorn, and the width can adjust on the top band..

i have had some that only adjust up and down, and some that only adjust for width..

for my wife, she ended up getting a youth set that fit her better, for non magnum pistol its fine, rifle she prefers to wear foam plugs as well as earmuffs..look for the higher db nrr raatings..

the foam plugs don't stay put for me..
Old April 12, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
ejhc11

Check out Peltor, they have small size ear muffs
Old April 13, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Chuck Dye

I bought Peltor Jr. for the honorary nephew. They fit well. His Dad and I have been pretty conscientious about doubling plugs and muffs when on the firing line next to loudenboomers such as Dad's 8mm RemMag and the full house .44 mags.
Old April 13, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Sarge

Of all the hearing protection I have worn--and should have worn--in 45 years of shooting, my favorite is the E-A-R® E-A-Rflex. They are a little pricey but can occasionally be found for 5-6 bucks. I'm going to buy a dozen of them, the next time I do. My wife and grandkids wear them as well as I do.

Old April 14, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Chuck Dye

Don't forget that a 3 decibel difference in NRR doubles or halves effectiveness. (OK, fussbudgets, 3.0103...)