The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 2, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Hardy

Colt cylinder pins gathering rust.

I noticed no matter how you clean an 1851 or 1861 Navy etc. rust forms on the greased cylinder pin. I used to use thompson's Blue lube(Comes in a brown tube) but I havent in awhile. . But I liked it. I guess I should have tried it before posting but haven't shot guns lately except a 61 navy. I thought it was cleaner than a whistle.I took a tube of CVA and it does not work but just makes brown greasy rust.

WBH
Old April 2, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2
zullo74

If you are getting rust, you are doing something wrong.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Hardy

I guess you are right Zullo. But I never did before until I brought home that CVA lube. I think it collects any grain of residue and cooks into rust overnight. I'll not recommend it. I took it back down last night and greased w/ Hopps--so far no brown ooze is coming around pin. But I did cheat. I used hoppes corrosive . Don't shoot me!
WBH
Old April 2, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
zullo74

Maybe something is chemically wrong with that CVA lube. I'd ditch it if I were you.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Hawg

Yeah, something isn't right.
Old April 2, 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Beagle333

I used CVA Grease Patch again today, as I always do, and it has always been good for me.

This stuff:
http://www.southernhuntingsupplies.c...ase_patch.html
Old April 3, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Ideal Tool

Hello, Hardy..Are you sure it's not the Cylinder pin hole? This is an easy area to neglect. Most people concentrate on the chambers. It is a good idea to run a brush or patches thru to remove any hidden fouling.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Fairshake

Location: Livingston, La. about 20 miles East of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
rust

Not knowing your cleaning practices it's hard to give you a answer. I will say that I agree with ideal tool in that the cylinder pin chamber is often overlooked and may be full of rust from past cleanings.
When it comes out on the grease you are thinking it's the grease and not the cylinder it's self.
If you use any of the subs like Pyrodex then it will cause rust overnight to form.
I would give my cylinder a good bath in Ballistol and see if the problem goes away.
Old April 3, 2012, 01:01 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
If you use any of the subs like Pyrodex then it will cause rust overnight to form.
That's not true. I live in the humid south and I sometimes go two or three days without cleaning, have gone nine with no rust.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:56 PM   #10
noelf2

Quote:
Quote:

That's not true. I live in the humid south and I sometimes go two or three days without cleaning, have gone nine with no rust.
It "can" be true, but obviously not always true. I too have left them dirty over a weekend, and didn't get any rust.
Old April 3, 2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Hardy

One thing I didn't do. I took off trigger guard and cleaned out inside of frame without taking out all springs with ballestol using pipe cleaners,swabs and q tips. I never had this problem before. I soaked nipples in wd 40 then cleaned them out w/pipe cleaner and guitar string. I'm pretty sure I cleaned out cylder wedge hole. I also put a fine touch of pure ballestol on exposed springs and wiped everything. I cleaned cylinder chambers and barrel w/ballestol. The next day I picked up gun and saw the red oozing around cylinder and pin and the pin was rusted. I cleaned it w/tooth brush and swabs and put another coat of that CVA lube. Next day brown rust again. I took hoppes anti corrosive and that did it. So that's what I did.

WBH
Old April 3, 2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Hardy

One other thing. The lube is called CVA wonder gel. I never sold one since we have been opened. I guess that's why I took a tube home! I did notice it was weak and runny and it wasn't that hot. It might not be strong or stable enough to be considered grease for a colt pin.

WBH
Old April 3, 2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Beagle333

CVA wonder gel isn't a lube. It's an ammonia based solvent.
Old April 3, 2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Ideal Tool

Hello, Hardy...Beagle333 just gave you your answer..cleaning solvents containing ammonia react with B.P. fouling to cause corrosion..there was a write-up in the Fouling Shot I think about a Ruger #1 being ruined this way..by being cleaned with an ammonia base solvent after black powder had been used.
Old April 4, 2012, 06:02 AM   #15
arcticap

The name of it is actually CVA BARREL BLASTER WONDER GEL SOLVENT, and the label also says that it's a "concentrated gun cleaning gel" and that it "removes rust without harming barrel finish".
I've heard that it works especially good to clean up gun barrels that have been neglected. When a gun barrel is encrusted and looks like it should be thrown out, that product can do a tremendous job cleaning it up to look almost like new.

Close up photo:

http://www.natchezss.com/images/products/CVAC1684.jpg

Last edited by arcticap; April 4, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:26 PM   #16
Hardy

This was great. All you guys tuned me right in. But I kinda was realizing that CVA wonder lube was the culprit. It was! I have spent 30 minutes today cleaning liquid rust out of everything. I think that CVA wonder lube should be advertised as a good enema
Old April 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #17
Hardy

Looks good don't it.

Old April 5, 2012, 06:16 AM   #18
zullo74

Hardy,
I'm glad you got to the bottom of this dilemma. That sure is one good lookin' revolver!
Old April 6, 2012, 04:02 AM   #19
radom

Sad to say but most stuff they sell for BP use now is crap as you just found out. Bring on the crisco and bore butter.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Andy Griffith

100% certified organic bear grease is best.

Just make certain they were organic bears...don't want grease that came from a bear that ate trash and candy. It'd likely be corrosive.

At least, that's what I've heard from the hot stove league.
Old April 6, 2012, 05:00 PM   #21
sltm1

I've been using Winchester breech grease on my cylinder pins for years, no rust and maybe a little less fouling while at the range. I can go through 6 cylinders on my 1860 Centaure before it starts ot bind.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #22
Hardy

Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic by putting that tube of cva in pic but wanted you to see what it looked like after 24 hours after being cleaned and using that on pin and lever. Did you see that mess. I had that in store and took it home thinking it was a lubricant. I have the brown tube Thompson 2000 (I think thats what its called) which is thick and blue. I used it when I first started back shootin and it worked great.
WBH