The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 12, 2012, 07:48 AM   #1
tobnpr

Your thoughts on the .50 BMG at a public range...

I consider myself to be pretty tolerant.

Even if some clown decides he needs to rapid-fire an entire clip from his AR or AK next to my ear, well, that's part of shooting at a public range.

But, I'm torn over this one...

Yesterday there's a .50 a few benches down from me, and next to where one of my sons was assigned a bench (crowded day..). Now, I've been on the line when a .50 was fired before (different range), and it was further away, and only a few rounds were let loose.

This was a bit different, both in terms of proximity, and number of rounds fired (probably 25 or 30). It goes without saying that the brake accounts for the nastiness to nearby shooters, but since the .50 needs one to be shoulder-fired doing without ain't an option. I dealt with the blast/concussion from a few benches down, but my son opted to sit out while this guy was sending rounds. For those of you that haven't experienced being on the receiving end of the .50 blast from a few feet to the side- well, you have no idea...

The .50 is just in a class by itself...and I understand the "cool" factor, and would probably own one for the hell of it if I had a few grand lying around with nothing to spend it on...

Unless you're trying to stop a tank, the .50 has nothing on the .338 LM ballistically, the .338 is much kinder on the shooter- and more importantly- those that are forced to be in proximity to him...So why wouldn't a serious long range shooter opt for the .338 LM?

Am I being an azz by thinking that .50's should be barred? EDIT TO CLARIFY- I MEAN AT A PUBLIC RANGE...

Last edited by tobnpr; March 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
coWSMasher

In my opinion it is a public range and if the range says its fine learn to deal with it. I can see where it could **** you off and personally if i was the guy with the .50 i wouldn't use it on a crowded day.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3
wogpotter

IMO yes.

I've been next to a .50 & experienced the blast & it can be distracting, but so can a 7mm Rem Mag with a brake, so should we ban .50s where you are & 7 rem mags where I am? How about banning brakes because someone else got annoyed by one?

Ban .357s too because they irritate a .22 shooter who doesn't want to have to wear ear protection?

The range should have had a bit more sense, the shooter should have had a bit more sense, but you have to share with all the public, not just the ones you approve of personally.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; March 12, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
smee78

I think wogpotter sums it up nicely.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

So you are complaining about the gun being fired at a public range that wasn't breaking the rules, a gun/caliber you would like to have for the hell of it but can't afford, then insultingly suggest the guy isn't a serious shooter because he is shooting .50 BMG instead of a .338 and isn't shooting it to stop tanks.

So you would like to have one for the hell of it and be okay with it despite not shooting tanks, but it is wrong for another person to have one for a comparable reason. Nice double standard.

I find it amusing when folks go to a range and complain about the noise, especially public ranges. Why didn't you bring proper hearing protection for you and your son?

If you had issues with the shooter/caliber/gun, why didn't you speak to the shooter instead of coming here and complaining?

+1 wogplotter.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
abercasten

Well, while it is annoying when the guy next to you shoots his big-braked-gun, I've taken those opportunities to sit back and admire what I can't have. Most guys at our range that shoot the big toys: 50 BMG, 500 S&W, 12 lb cannon, etc. will compensate those around them with free shot on the big toy for their endurance . They know that they pretty much shut the range down when they cut loose, so we all take the chance to learn about or try out a new firing platform. Maybe we're just cool guys like that? If you're just are going to get mad about the guy next to you muzzle blasting ya, maybe you should look for a private range for yourself, or sit the round out.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
tobnpr

Quote:
So you are complaining about the gun being fired at a public range that wasn't breaking the rules, a gun/caliber you would like to have for the hell of it but can't afford, then insultingly suggest the guy isn't a serious shooter because he is shooting .50 BMG instead of a .338 and isn't shooting it to stop tanks.
Lighten up, pal- and re-read my post...

I NEVER said the guy wasn't a serious shooter...
I did question as to why anyone would select a .50 BMG over the .338 LM for TARGET shooting at 1000 and less.

I've sat next to .300 WM's, .338 LM's, and they're not even close to the concussion of the .50 BMG.

You ever sat directly next to one, and had the shooter run off 20 rounds?

<...Really stupid insult removed...>

Last edited by Art Eatman; March 12, 2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Grammaw had to use lye soap.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
BPowderkeg

Quote:
Am I being an azz by thinking that .50's should be barred?

absolutely YES !!

it is a public range, no rules were broken, if it bothered you and your son THAT much.., YOU, have the RIGHT to leave the range, even confronting the .50BMG shooter would show a lack of "tolerance", you also have the RIGHT to not visit that range in the future.

Quote:
.338 LM?
you are joking..., right ??? gimme a break Mr.Crybaby, you are talking a .33 caliber vs .50 caliber

i totally agree with, Mr.wogpotter, Mr.Double Naught Spy and Mr.abercasten

one last thing Mr.tobnpr.., are you a liberal ??
Old March 12, 2012, 10:03 AM   #9
tobnpr

Nope, not a liberal.

I'll ask you the same question...

Ever sat directly next to one, for 20 rounds?
Old March 12, 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Master Blaster 2

Myself and one of my 50's at a public range shooting My tank stopper ..LOL You are being a ant-gun saying a 50 must be ban. Next it will be an AK or an AR...

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
tobnpr

Can't help but notice there's not someone sitting two feet away to either side of you...

I was trying to ask a simple question and keep it civil...

LET ME CLARIFY- I DID NOT MEAN "BANNED" AS IN "PERIOD"- THE POST WAS IN THE CONTEXT OF USE AT A PUBLIC RANGE...and most of them, ban .50 cals in my vicinity, this one does not.

It's a fair question... if you want to call me a p***, why not shoot me a PM, and we'll take care of it from there...
Old March 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Master Blaster 2

Just waiting for you to come sit by me tobnpr. I'd even let you shoot it a few times and I usually give people a spent cartride to the shooter too.

Maybe they should ban Mosins at Public ranges myself just because I said so.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:16 AM   #13
kraigwy

I'm against banning ANY gun from a public range.

Why would one choose a 50 cal over a 338 or 300 WM at less then 1000 yards any different then saying why would one choose a 270 or 30-06 over a 22 cal when shooting less then 1000 yards.

We have enough gun banning going on, we don't need to add to the problem by shooters trying to ban other shooters preference.

And yes I set next to a 50 cal more then once.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 12, 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
tobnpr

Aaahhh...

Everyone's a smart azz...

Look, there's give and take, and consideration in our society.

At least, I live my life like that.

A "public range" is for the use, and enjoyment, of everyone that pays to shoot there.

I don't think I should have to sit next to someone with the brake wash of his .50 four feet from my face.

I asked if I was alone in that opinion....a simple yes, or no, is all that's needed. If it gets insulting, I'll just ask the mod to shut it down. It's a fair question.

If you've never sat in the brake wash of a .50- and that includes the shooter- you have no idea...
Old March 12, 2012, 10:22 AM   #15
BPowderkeg

Quote:
Ever sat directly next to one, for 20 rounds?
i was not keeping count.., but on occasion i shoot 50 rounds from my .499LWR (BTW, it is a bit more powerful, louder and recoils more than a .50 Beowulf) and i get some complaints.., actually the complainers tell the R.M. and he in turn tells me and we both laff (sic) our butts off, it too is a public range, the R.M. reminds them of that FACT !

one fellow did approach me about the loudness and muzzle blast, i asked him if he would like to shoot it, he anxiously agreed and fired a full 10 rnd. mag., he was truly amazed and commented that it was fun and reminded him of the time he fired a .577nitro express..., ONE TIME !! ...
Old March 12, 2012, 10:30 AM   #16
kraigwy

It's a "PUBLIC" range, not a "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" range.

I don' like having to stop a practice high power match so others who don't shoot 50 rounds straight, can go check their targets.

I might want to do an "assault" course on my targets or I might want to set up a reloader and chronograph on the range to test loads, or what ever.

Instead of trying to get people to change to my likes and dislikes I bought some land where I could build my own range.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #17
mooner

Quote:
I don't think I should have to sit next to someone with the brake wash of his .50 four feet from my face.
And yet....

Quote:
A "public range" is for the use, and enjoyment, of everyone that pays to shoot there.
Quote:
THE POST WAS IN THE CONTEXT OF USE AT A PUBLIC RANGE...and most of them, ban .50 cals in my vicinity, this one does not.
From your comments, the answer seems obvious. Use your freedom as a consumer of goods and go to one of the other ranges in your vicinity.

End of discussion.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:47 AM   #18
warrior poet

I used to shoot at a public range with a variety of rifles including a .458 (not very quiet there either), a how-dah- in .577 NE (REALLY NOT QUIET), and other weapons of the big and loud variety. I always tried to be considerate of fellow shooters. I would usually reserve the big, loud ones for days when the range was largely empty. Notice I said usually. Whenever I would fire one of them with anyone even remotely close, I ALWAYS made sure their ear protection was 'in-use.'
On the other hand, I have been 'ridiculously close' to a firing .50 BMG and yes, it is LOUD. However, this is a 'give and inch and they take a mile debate.' Banning it from the range (as other ranges in your area have, if I read correctly) forces a legal gun owner to have a weapon he can not practice with / enjoy. About the best thing here is to respectfully approach the owner and state your concerns about people's hearing in proximity to his weapon. Most gun owners are courteous people, in my experience anyway, and will gladly try to accomidate other shooters.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #19
BigJerm79

Wogpotter, Double Naught, abercasten...agreed! Tobnpr, do I think you're an a$$? No Sir. Prob far from it. You have an opinion & asked a question. Do I agree that the .50 should be barred? Absolutely NOT. As mentioned, it's a public range & people are gonna "run what they brung". And personally, I love it ALL. I loved the .500 S&W mag that was 2 lanes over from me a couple weeks ago. That thing was RIDONKULOUS and distracting. And I loved it. Heck, I stopped shooting, just so I could watch the guy shoot that thing. There's so much that I've only read about in magazines or online, seen down at the LGS, heard people talk about, etc. that I actually get to see in action down at the range.

At the range I go to here in CA, they allow .50 BMG ONLY on Mondays after 1 PM (i.e.-when the range is empty). Didn't used to be that way though and I'm glad it wasn't. When was about 11 or 12, I was shooting on the 50 yd line when I heard what sounded like instant death somewhere down on the 100 yd line. Intrigued, my buddy & I went to investigate. We found a squirrley man and his Barrett 82A1 in all its glory. There were sand bags falling off the bench, empty cartridge boxes fron the bench next to us flying around. I was in awe. He stopped shooting for a second and came & talked to us for a bit. Since I was a gun geek as a kid, I knew what it was and was happy to learn a bit more. Any who, he offered to let us pull off a round. my friend refused, but I was chomping at the bit. I shot it and he let me keep the brass. I'll NEVER forget that.

I say just enjoy & soak it all in. As long as nothing unsafe is going on, then more power to whoever is shooting whatever

J
Old March 12, 2012, 11:02 AM   #20
L_Killkenny

I've been at a range when a fifty was being lit off. I was a good 50 yards away at the handgun range and it still made me jump every time a round was touched off. Oh well. If I had been right next to him I might of up and left but that's not his problem, it's my choice.

Now I do find it funny seeing a guy shooting a .50 at 100 yard targets just as I also find it funny someone burning a half dozen mags from an AK/SKS/AR or even handguns at one very close range target. Both seem very pointless. BTW, I've seen the second one of those very often and those guys bother the hell outta me.

LK
Old March 12, 2012, 11:05 AM   #21
tobnpr

BigJerm...

Thank you, that's a POST.

To the point without assinine name calling.

I stated clearly in my very first post, that I fully accept the "give and take" at a public range- including mag dumps next to me...

My question was whether the .50 BMG simply crosses that line of "uncomfortableness" (yup- made up the word).

Fact is, at 180 DB it can, and will, cause hearing damage, even with our usual protective hearing gear which only reduces about 33 db.

I think your example of a range having specific time slots is an accommodation that balances the rights of those that want to shoot, with the safety and relative "comfort" of others that are paying the same fee to shoot.

It was certainly not a coincidence that the only benches left when we got there were next to the .50.

If you .50 shooters want to mis-read this as an affront to your "freedom"- you're just plain wrong. It's about balance between those rights- and the rights of the others nearby.

Again, if you can't keep the conversation civil, just stay out, or I'll ask the mods to shut down the thread.

Nothing against the shooter, he's doing what he's allowed.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:05 AM   #22
Tempest 455

I've actually heard people complain about noise at the drag strip!
Old March 12, 2012, 11:07 AM   #23
coldbeer

The public ranges I go to don't allow 50 cal and over firearms except for muzzle loaders, they can be up to 79 cal. It wouldn't bother me really, 50 cal ammo is so expensive it's not like they'll be shooting all day. Infact I've never seen a 50 cal rifle so I think it would be pretty cool to see one being fired. By the way I'm new here nice forum.

Edit: They do allow 50 caliber handguns, but they specifically mentioned the 50 BMG not being allowed.

Last edited by coldbeer; March 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Master Blaster 2

YES tobnpr you you are alone in your opinion
Old March 12, 2012, 11:26 AM   #25
tobnpr

Hey, that's what makes the world go round, right?

'Cept, I had to put my glasses on to see that font size...
Closed Thread