The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2012, 12:08 AM   #26
BDS-THR

Quote:
I'd love to hire more people. We seem to be sucking air on locating qualified applicants, however. Believe me, we're trying. We ran a want ad in the local newspaper last week. We have received a total of ONE resume.
If Brad can't find the work force, I think maybe it's time Brad offers "bullet casting internship" program to local high schools and colleges to "grow" his own workforce. Imagine doing a presentation to a group of high school seniors/college students ... Make your hobby your job and get a great workout as a fringe benefit of employment (Can you say "resistance workout"?). Learn metallurgy and see it in action. Employee discount on bullets and free use of company range. Any takers? <this is where Brad hands out applications for internship with waivers>

Just a thought to expand his potential employment options. By the time they complete the internship, Brad would have candidates already competent in all phases of production and he gets "pick of the litter".
Old March 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #27
Heavy Metal 1

I looked at Powder Valley's website & can't find MO bullets. What am I not seeing?

Nevermind, I see them under CAST BULLETS
Old March 10, 2012, 01:13 PM   #28
dunerjeff

Look under the "cast bullets" button, they are there.
Old March 10, 2012, 01:58 PM   #29
BDS-THR

Graf & Sons sells more complete line of MBC bullets (Powder Valley carries more limited selection) and their prices listed reflect free shipping - http://www.grafs.com/catalog/vendor/...d/175/inline/1
Old March 10, 2012, 03:23 PM   #30
Robert Palermo

Not really a problem.

I will still cater to all new individual accounts.
In order to better meet our demands I have expanded and put on more people. Service and speed is at an all time high.
Since I don't serve commercial accounts, I will still be happy to deal with individuals and groups as I always have for the past 30 years.

Dardas and Mastercast of Illinois will also serve new individual accounts as well as other suppliers.

Brad is facing the same problem I faced a few years ago and is now making adjustments to deal with it in his way.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:56 PM   #31
Super Sneaky Steve

The high prices, high demand and larger profit margins should send out market signals to entrepreneurs to get in the business.

If MBC doesn't step up, others will.

I enjoyed their products but I moved on to casting my own. I may still order some starline brass from them though. They have great prices on .45 Colt brass!
Old March 11, 2012, 08:19 AM   #32
Mike40-11

That's what I was thinking Steve. How to scrape up the money for a Magma machine or 2. I could probably do it ....... hmmmmmm
Old March 11, 2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Robert Palermo

If only it was that easy....

Unfortunantly equipment is only one part of the overall equation. To buy finished bullet casting metal is expensive and you have to do very high volume to make a profit. In order to do volume you need labor besides yourself and you have to be willing to pay good wages for good help and that affects your final sales cost. You can't do this with minimum wage help.
Finding raw materaials and making your own metal in enough volume is a daunting task unto itself.
Add in FFL licence and regulations of where and how you can do this also enters into the equation.
When metal prices spiked a few years back, dozens of small and large bullet casters closed their doors never to reopen. If it was all that easy and profitable they would have come back and they haven't.

Those that have endured did so because they were able to adapt and change to the market conditions.

Then there is always the spectre of having the goverment render you null and void with a change in the law.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:50 PM   #34
BDS-THR

Although I am a big fan of Missouri Bullet products in 12/15/18 BHN and will continue to use them, I am thinking about trying Z Cast Bulletz. I have found my target loads favor the softer lead alloy (especially for the 45ACP loads using 12 BHN bullets) and produce very accurate shotgroups without leading.

"Z Cast Bulletz uses a Lead Alloy Mixture containing Lead, Antimony and Tin and has a BHN hardness of 14-16" and looks like it's a small operation like how Missouri Bullet started.

So far, reviews have been positive with very good prices:

9mm 124 gr RN - $22/500
.357 158 gr RN/SWC - $24/500
40S&W 180 gr RN - $27/500
45ACP 200 gr RNFP - $29/500
45ACP 200 gr SWC - $33/500
45ACP 230 gr RN - $34/500
Old March 11, 2012, 02:32 PM   #35
oldreloader

BDS I ordered 1000 125 gr RN 9mm, 500 200gr RNFP and 500 200 SWC from them and am waiting for their arrival. I'll let you know how they work fo ME asap.
Old March 11, 2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Peter M. Eick

I did the same. I just ordered 12,000 odd bullets to go with the roughly 10,000 I have ordered over the last month or so.

I am probably part of the reason for some of the backlog but only a small portion I am sure.
Old March 11, 2012, 05:09 PM   #37
BDS-THR

oldreloader/Peter M. Eick, awesome!

Let me know how they work out.
Old March 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #38
overkill0084

I suspect that the lack of applicants has something to with the fact that actual physical labor might be involved. Lead being heavy & all. Anyone who has dealt with the younger members of the work force has seen a decline in the modern work ethic. Add in the fact that the company has the "Bullet" in the name, which is evil. Additionally, lead being one of the great killers of our time, the idea of actually being within 500 feet of anything lead probably scares people. It's scarier than the paint chips they ate as a child.
Quote:
There is a simple way to solve that - it is called making the job lucrative enough to attract qualified personnel
It's essentially an entry level trainee job, at least at first. Just how much is it supposed to pay? I doubt that very many people with extensive bullet casting experience are combing the want ads looking for work in that part of Missouri.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 13, 2012, 04:58 PM   #39
spanishjames

Quote:
Anyone know for a fact what they are offering for pay, amount of hours, in essence all the details of the employment offer?
It looks like they are looking to pay at least $7.50 an hour/fulltime.

https://www.missouricareersource.com...oid=3114113728
Old March 13, 2012, 06:47 PM   #40
dunerjeff

Overkill
The younger generation has no work ethic to decline
At my work we get highschool kids for cleaning and running errands, it's been quite a few years since any of them can even lift their feet when walking, much less lift or push a broom. I saw another post from brad that staes they have hired two people now(IIRC),but they are limited on what they can do due to quality standards or knowledge to talk to customers about helping them purchase what they need for the application.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Robert Palermo

7.50 per hour is the reason they can't get help and they have rapid turnover of the help they get.
I have dealt with my local emplyment office when I expanded this past year and if you aren't offering better than 10.00 per hour to start you don't get applicants especially if the work is labor intensive.
Home Depot and Lowes start at 10-12.00 per hour.

Good labor jobs are running 12-13.00 per hour around here.
Old March 15, 2012, 07:13 AM   #42
Uncle Buck

Missouri Bullet Co is a small, but growing company. One of the drawbacks is where they are located in rural Missouri. Having met Brad and Jo Ann, I can imagine they try to take care of their employees.

I wish it was as simple as "OK, you have the job." But the reality of it is, the paperwork involved, the lack of motivated job seekers (When you can make more money/benefits through unemployment and food stamps and housing assistance, etc...), the cost of raw materials, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

Jobs here in this part Missouri are averaging $7.50 ~ $9.85 an hour. (I got that figure from the local career center.) Even with the college located close by, the price of gas quickly eats away at your paycheck.

On the plus side, Brad has said us old customers will still be able to order directly from the factory. If I were able to do more than get in their way, I would volunteer at the factory for a few boxes of bullets a month.
Old March 15, 2012, 07:41 AM   #43
Don P

Like I stated earlier I need a job but the commute would be a killer.

Quote:
7.50 per hour is the reason they can't get help and they have rapid turnover of the help they get.
I have dealt with my local emplyment office when I expanded this past year and if you aren't offering better than 10.00 per hour to start you don't get applicants especially if the work is labor intensive.
Home Depot and Lowes start at 10-12.00 per hour.

Good labor jobs are running 12-13.00 per hour around here.
Absolutely correct, at a 40 hr based week I make $7 per hr on my unemployment. This sitting home, zero transportation costs and all that is involved with regards to a vehicle and maintenance.
So if $7.50 is the offer I'll ask our members would a person in my situation be wise or foolish to take a job as we are talking about.
All I'll add is that for the job I will have to travel 30 miles a day round trip
and we must add fed,state,local tax if they apply for with holdings
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; March 15, 2012 at 07:48 AM.