The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
NDEBT

Newb

I was directed here from a motorcycle forum I've been a member of for a long time. I aquired a shotgun I know nothing about and hope you members can help. It is 16ga damascus barrel and seems to be well made. Here are some pics.

Old February 25, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
oneounceload

Name, pics of the proof marks, etc from the underneath will help
Old February 25, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
NDEBT

Not much else on it. the proof marks are hard to see. No name or date on the gun.

Old February 25, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
shortwave

Is there any markings under the butt-plate? Either on the stock or butt-plate itself.

Almost forgot, Welcome to TFL.
Old February 25, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
oneounceload

If you take the forearm off, and the the barrels, there should be proof marks on the barrel flats and also on the action water table
The under lever gun was made in a few countries, Damascus barrels will date the gun pre 1900 for the most part
Old February 25, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
NDEBT

Meen anything?

Old February 25, 2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Boncrayon

Newb

Wow! Beautiful atrifact. Don't fire it as the Domascus barrel could come appart with heavy load. Keep it for the memories and for display. Clean it well and do not remove the darkened finish. Cover the metal parts after cleaning with RemOil and Baracade to preserve its valor. Truly a beautiful and historical piece!
Old February 25, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Herr Walther

Are there any marks over the 'V' or 'JD' that the camera didn't pick up?

These and the numbers are not in themselves proof marks. Most proof marks are a letter and some sort of symbol, be it a crown, eagle, or other symbol.

Shotguns of this era, depending upon country of origin, will have the proof standard stamped on the barrel(s) in grains of powder/grains of shot, along with the proof mark.

Keep looking. There is something there somewhere. I would start with a magnifying glass as some of these can be pretty small.

Can you get a better shot of the image in post #3? This is probably your proof mark. I might be able to at least identify the country of origin if you can get a good photo of it posted.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 25, 2012, 10:36 PM   #9
NDEBT

There is a SC stamp you cant see in that pic.

Old February 26, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
NDEBT

Thanks for all the help. I'm new to the forum should I post this in the relics section for more info?
Old February 26, 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
jimbob86

Ask here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Old March 3, 2012, 11:57 PM   #12
NDEBT

I think I may be addicted to these two barreled guns. I went to a gun show today with the sole intent to sell the old 16 ga for something I could shoot. I had a price in my head and it I got an offer for that it was sold. That was the plan but I did get offered that and more but I could not let it go and ended up buying another one.

Nothing special really a Ithaca made 12 ga It shoots very well and it fits me very good I love it.