The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2000, 05:24 PM   #1
Coolray

I found a great buy on Hornady 9MM .355 124 GR LRN, 350 in a box for $8.00 My Speer manual shows a load for a 125 GR LRN with unique and W231 but not for Tite Group.
I also have W231 and Unique.
How much difference is there between the 124 and 125 LRN and the 124 FMJ? can you replace the FMJ with the LRN and if so how do you caculate the powder charge? or should you?
Old November 28, 2000, 08:40 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Recommend sticking with W231 or Unique in your nine.

Old November 28, 2000, 10:20 AM   #3
tonyz

Coolray:

I use 4.1Gr Titegroup with the 124 LRN.
And have found this to be a fairly accurate load.
I also agree with weshoot2 that W231 is a great powder for the 9MM and that is the powder of my choice.

Tony Z
Here is the URL to Hodgdons reloading data

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/index.htm
Old November 28, 2000, 10:24 AM   #4
Coolray

Thanks for the Info, I called Horaday and they told me 3.8-4.1 of tite group. Being a green reloader I will continue to use the W231 in the 9MM. Why not Tite Group? I have read in this forum that it is a great powder,would it work better in my .45ACP and .44 Spl than in the 9MM?
Old November 28, 2000, 10:25 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Coolray (and other TiteGroup users),

T-Group was designed specifically for light ("Cowboy") loads in big straight-wall revolver cases, like the 45 Colt.

Works, like Bullseye or AA2, in most any cartridge, but falls in the "fast" burn-rate range.
NOT ideal for most applications.

Suggest other powders than T-Group for most every cartridge and/or application (but T-Group works very well in light 44 Mag/ 45 Colt loads).

Best all-around 45ACP powder (except +P-range): W231

Best 9mm powder: WAP

Best 44 Special powder: Universal Clays (the modern easy-metering clean-burning ballistically-identical alternative to Unique)

Just my experience.....
Old November 29, 2000, 12:11 AM   #6
jtduncan

I agree with Weshoot2 on many things but this one is not one of them. I've spent hours on the phone researching powders and applications. I've talked at length with Mike Daly and Larry Deardon at Hodgdon about their products.

While TiteGroup was specifically designed as Weshoot2 stated, many reloaders have found TG to give them exceptional accuracy for target and plinking loads. Yeah, I'd use VV if I was developing an IPSC load that needed consistent velocities with accuracy.

But if you're looking for a good training load to develop your pistolmanship in 9mm to 45 ACP, TG will get you there and cheaply. I can get a one pounder of TG for $14.99. Other powders like W231 also serve well in this regard. But W231 is generally more expensive at $18.99 a pound and harder to find.

I have also had great experiences with Universal which is alos about $14.99 a pound but considered to be on the slower end and you can develop some good IPSC loads with it. All of the above powders are clean burning and low flash as well.

One of the guys are Hodgdon also stated he used WAP for 9mm and 45 ACP. So I think that would be a nice one to develop. BUT I can't get it here consistently. What good is a load if you can't make it when you need it?

But TG is just fine for light target loads or GSSF. Why beat your gun up and why not get another 300 more rounds for your money?

FTR - 4.2 grain has been the number one 124 grain TG number I've heard produced the best accuracy.
Old November 29, 2000, 12:18 AM   #7
jtduncan

FTR - Weshoot2 is speaking the gospel about W231. It is the best powder for 45 ACP.

I love W231 for my Glock 30. I can nail 1.5 inch groups at 25 yards with only the occasional (sp?) flyer.