The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 17, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1
amtt81

Shooting Ranges Near James River State Park

Can anybody recommend any outdoor shooting ranges near James River State Park. I mostly want to shoot handguns. Outdoor and free are ideal.
Old February 17, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

None that are near, outdoors, free, and allow handguns, but you get some of those.
Free, outside and "legal to shoot there" limits your choices and forces you to drive a long way. Amelia WMA is free and outdoors, is to your east about 1.5 hours drive towards Richmond,but prohibits pistol shooting for no known reason.
Northwest of you about 2 hours, near Augusta Springs,VA is Hite Hollow's outdoor range, managed by the USFS. You can shoot anything there,but you literally have to drive over mountains to get to it from your location.
Rivanna Rifle and Pistol (membership required) is about 1 hour 20 minutes north of the park. There are at least two paid ranges in the Lynchburg area: Izaac Walton League and Lynchburg Arms (indoors and paid). Both of those are inside of an hour's drive.
Old February 18, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
amtt81

Thank you very much for your reply. I apologize to moderators for posting in the wrong place. I thought about it but still messed up.
I am in James river park now and am hearing gunfire but can't track it down. Really that is so annoying. I appreciate the suggestions but an more desperate and will open myself to anywhere I can shoot legally.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Likely you were hearing waterfowl hunting. Resident local goose season is still open til Feb 25th, I believe.
Rabbit hunting is also still on.
Possibly someone was just target shooting illegally. That happens,too.