The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2012, 09:20 AM   #26
Sevens

Not trying to speak for Orochimaru, but I can tell you that dropping a piece on to the feed block of the Pro-1000, and never taking a piece out of any shell plate or shell holder due to auto-eject has been a tremendous upgrade specifically in the area of handling brass.

Where before I would pick up one piece of brass, move my hand to the ram, pull out the piece in it and swap it with the piece going in to the press...

Now I simply grab about 6-8 pieces (depending on caliber) and shuffle them one-handed in my left hand until the case head is down, then lightly drop 'em piece by piece on to the feed block of the Pro-1000.

If I picked up the case feeder tubes (don't have them!) I suspect it would be even all that much quicker and easier.

I'm telling you, this less handling of brass? It's for real! It's a major difference.
Old January 26, 2012, 09:34 AM   #27
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
Kind of sounds like someone saying a sports car isn't a car because it has a manual transmission rather than an automatic transmission
I know of more than a few sports car purists who would agree with this statement.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 26, 2012, 09:42 AM   #28
Kevin Rohrer

As Far As The Semi-Progressive Discussion is Concerned

I didn't make-up the term. I read it in old issues of Handloader and Handloader Digest, where the authors were describing the difference between press-types. But someone coined the term at one point to make it easy to differentiate manual indexing from auto-indexing presses, and it works for me.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer