The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
tpcollins

Time between shots at the range?

I have several combinations of bullets, powder, and load variations and I hope to head to the range towards then end of the week. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .204 caliber - how much time should I allow between shots for testing?
I have a maximum of 63 rounds to shoot, I may have to cut the session a bit short.

I expect the temps to be in the mid-30s. Thanks.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
olddav

I shoot 3 rounds, open the bolt and stand the rifle up for about 10 min. or so. No clue if this the correct way or not but it works for me.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I don't know if it is necessarily RIGHT but my practice is to test fire at one round per minute for five or not over ten shots, then let the barrel cool. Which is why I normally take two rifles to alternate. That and the time taken to change targets, either measure groups or write load data on the targets, etc, keeps the barrel cool enough for me.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've tried several different methods but I almost always shoot in 65F or higher. At 30F, I'm guessing it matters a lot less.

Usually I do something similar to what Jim suggests but I stop at 3 shots and give the barrel at least 5 minutes to cool down or 10 if it's still warm at 5.

Also, keep in mind that the accuracy and pressure indication results you get at 30F may not apply at 60-70-80F...
Old January 23, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
bullspotter

I have always worked up my loads acording to what im using the gun for. Hunting guns get 3 shots, one right after the other, then cool down, pry 30 min or so, when i find the load i like, ill take it to the range 4-5 more times and shoot it 1 time with a clean bore to get my zero, then i shoot 5 rounds one right after the other.

My long range and 3 gun stuff, ill round robin my test loads. If i have 5 rounds of 5 loads, I put up 5 targets, ill start with the lowest, then work up 1 round at a time, after 5 rounds, ill start with the 2nd round of the starting load, and so on, till all 25 rounds are fired, i dont let it cool. 95 % of the time these guns are used with a hot barrel, so i like to test my loads with a hot barrel.
Old January 23, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
howlnmad

When doing a ladder test with a different charge weight for each round, I wait at least 3 minutes between shots. Is it right or wrong, I don't know but it works for me.