The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

How Serious of a Mistake???

How serious of a mistake did I make??? I admit that I was careless...so, don't lecture me too harshly.

I did not double check my powder dispenser and ended up loading 4.9 grains of Bullseye in my .38 Special with 148 grain double-ended beveled wadcutters. I was in a rush and did not do my normal random weight check.

Anyway, "OUCH !!!!". What was supposed to be a nice target load ended up really stinging my hand. I was shooting my Ruger Speed-Six and even at that gun weight the recoil was stout.

Was I tempting fate, here? What kind of pressure was being generated?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; January 16, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
rbf420

my lyman cast boolit book is showing for the 148 4.4 being the max grains with a pressureof 16,200 CUP.

Mistakes happen all ya can do is learn from em.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:43 AM   #3
Stick_man

You were lucky. Lucky you didn't have a lesser gun. Lucky you fired it in a gun designed for the higher pressures the .357 generates. Lucky the moment of carelessness didn't really cost you much. Live and learn. Count your blessings on all 10 fingers while you still have them all. Some guys aren't so lucky.
Old January 17, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
savagelover

How many times do I have to tell you/ You can not watch TV and reload at the same time...You have to have your mind on what yoou are doing or DO NOT be doing it..I call this operator head space....lol
Old January 17, 2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Sarge

You're fortunate. The 'Six' series DA's are good stout revolvers but not all that much stronger than a K frame. I would either ditch those reloads, or tear them down for components.
Old January 18, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
kealil

it could have been worse. try loading 6.7gns RED DOT with a 230gn LRN out of a 45ACP. Not Fun...Happened to me. thank god i had my first 45 to be a 4506. S&W saved me from my own stupidity...