The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2012, 01:30 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

The one time I did that the primer actually fired when I pulled the trigger on my 1911. Obviously nothing else happened.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:47 PM   #27
mikld

Well, you've heard the stock answers; don't do it, you'll shoot your eye out!, WD40 it (who is Stu Farish anyway?), do it slowly, and toss it. I'll tell you what I did when I started reloading. On the back of my loading bench I have a tupperware bowl, about 2 qt. size. When I made a mistake I just dropped the offending round into the "dud bowl". After reloading for a while and gaining experience in the various reloading steps/operations, I would figger out what to do for the situation (backwards or sideways primers, deep seated bullets, over crimping, etc.). I consider this "furthering my reloading education". I'll remember the solution or how to rectify a mistake if I reach the solution myself. If the solution is beyond my experience the bad/misloaded round stays in thr bowl until I figger out a solution (I've got hundreds of cases of each caliber I reload and cast my own bullets so I won't miss the dud bowl contents). It's worked for nearly 30 years of reloading (not so much the last 10 years though )

Jes an old guy's $.02...
Old January 16, 2012, 04:21 PM   #28
CrustyFN

Quote:
(who is Stu Farish anyway?),
Obviously somebody who took the time to do some testing.
Old January 23, 2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Adamantium

On the subject of killing primers with WD-40, I found this surfing the web.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm

And overall it is a very good website on fun to read gun tests. Suprised I didn't find this place sooner.
Old January 25, 2012, 02:04 AM   #30
bamaranger

NOt read all replies, but .......a drop of oil will render the primer inert, then pull slug and powder charge, and deprime as normal.
Old January 25, 2012, 02:48 AM   #31
Fullboar

Why don't you pull the bullet, pure out the powder and load the case into your rifle and fire it (it will only make a small bang) then deprime like normal? That way makes the most sense to me anyway (if you want to keep the case).
Old January 25, 2012, 11:46 AM   #32
Adamantium

Quote:
Why don't you pull the bullet, pure out the powder and load the case into your rifle and fire it (it will only make a small bang) then deprime like normal? That way makes the most sense to me anyway (if you want to keep the case).
Because it won't work with a backwards primer?
Old January 25, 2012, 12:07 PM   #33
Sevens

Actually, that MIGHT work and if it did work, you'd have flame heading 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

What a horrible idea.
Old January 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #34
Gbro

In Stu Farish's test batch I found his findings very interesting, day 1-4 weak ignition with all except water but on day five the WD-40 and the penetrating oil ignited in what he reported to be a strong ignition. Now take the water soaked ones.
Would they also ignite after a dry out period?
I had gotten a bunch of .22 rimfire cartridges wet a week ago.My entire range box got wet and i dryed everything out for 1 week and Sunday during a lull in the qualifying exercise at my range i loaded up six rounds that had gotten wet. I had 5 miss fires out of six and that used up all my break time waiting the required 30 seconds each time with great anticipation of a hang fire that didn't happen.The one that did fire sounded good.