The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
bspillman

browning hi power clones

can any one tell me if there are any gret hipower clones. I own a high power it was given to me by my grandfather back in the eighties. it has never been fired and it wont be due to sentimentle vale. the reason for the question is i was in my local gun shop today and was looking at an arcus hi power clone. the gun looked sweet and felt like great quaility. the store mowner said he cant keep them on the shelves. any one with any experiance with these.
Old January 7, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
IDAHO83501

I have heard mixed reviews of Argus. FEG made a decent Hi=Power clone,,you can still find some on gunbroker.com..
Old January 7, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
MLeake

Back in the early 90's I bought an Argentinian HiPower clone because I got a great price on it... but the gun was a true jam-o-matic, and I traded it at a pawn shop shortly thereafter for an SP101.

Since then, I acquired a real HiPower, and it works pretty well.

I'd say you buy a knock-off at your own risk. It's kind of like the old Bottle Rockets song, "$1000 Car."

A thousand dollar car, it ain't worth nothin',
A thousand dollar car, it ain't worth >>>>,
Might as well take your thousand dollars,
And set fire to it.

IE, sometimes saving money can get very expensive, by the time you ultimately buy what you should have bought in the first place...
Old January 7, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Argentinean Hi-Powers are not really "clones." They are exact duplicates, other than finish, built under license from FN. The name is FM (for "Fabrique Militaire"). I have owned two, and both ran flawlessly out of the box and thereafter. I let one of the guys at my range's local competition try one of mine because he thought he might do better with a 9mm than a .45 1911.

The next week he was shooting an FM Hi-Power.

Back then Sarco had them for great prices. More recently, Argentina has cut back drastically on the exports and the FMs are hard to find. IMHO they are a bargain, and a Hi-Power in every way.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:28 PM   #5
MLeake

My FM did not have the narrowed/tapered front end slide. I would not say it was to exact FN specs. It's good that yours worked out better. Mine was not good.
Old January 8, 2012, 04:04 AM   #6
80viking

I picked up an FM High Power over the summer and so far have a little over 1000 rds thru it and other than some issues with some after market magazines my son and I absolutely love it.
Old January 8, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7
darkgael

FM

Quote:
The Argentinean Hi-Powers........... The name is FM (for "Fabrique Militaire"). I have owned two, and both ran flawlessly out of the box and thereafter. I let one of the guy
That has been my experience also.
Pete
Old January 8, 2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Smoke14

I have 3 Arcus pistols, which are generally classified by many as Hi Power clones. Arcus is a Bulgarian company. I have at least 500 rounds through each of the pistols and I don't recall any issues. The 94 series are the real clones in that they are SA pistols, while the 98 series are DA/SA. All can be carried cocked and locked. Triggers are much improved if you take them apart and polish the surfaces that meet. I have the 94C, 98DA, and 98DAC, the C's being compact versions. The 94C and 98DAC can use Hi Power magazines and grips. I actually prefer shooting the 98DA over my BHP.

94C

98DAC

98DA[SIZE="3"]

Old January 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
blchandl2

^^^^^I have a 98DA and would like to get a "C" version as well. I have a BHP and I am much more accurate with the ARCUS. I let a coworker shoot my ARCUS at lunch one day, he ordered one that night.

The finish on the ARCUS is not up to HP standards, but they function reliably and are very accurate.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #10
tekarra

If you search the net you will find a couple of excellent HP forums having a separate section for clones.
Old January 8, 2012, 08:59 AM   #11
WC145

I've got a near new Charles Daly Hi Power that I picked up recently. It's a surprisingly decent gun, well fitted, no function issues, factory installed XS sights. I removed the mag "safety" and now it has a clean, crisp trigger of about 5.5lbs. At $350 with 4 mags it was a pretty good deal.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old March 28, 2012, 10:32 AM   #12
The Racqueteer

CD Hi-power

I too have a Charles Daly Hi-power and love it. (also have a Belgium Browning)

Charles Daly is out of business but there are many out there and at a great price. They are a great piece for a carry gun, reliable with light recoil.
Old March 28, 2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Te Anau

Arcus and FEG both are great guns.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:36 PM   #14
djcantr

I've only has my Arcus 98DA for a little over a week but I've put 400 rounds through it already. I think they're a great value. I paid a little under $350 out the door for mine. Might pick up the 98DAC later on.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #15
gunsmokeTPF

What possible reason would you have to buy a clone when so many Browning HP's are available at reasonable prices? I bought my T-series back in '69 from Abercrombie & Fitch on Madison Ave. in NYC for $85. That may sound cheap, but having a yearly income of $7,900 made it a little expensive at the time. Back then it was a real store that even once serviced Teddy Roosevelt when he went on safari.

I carried it in a Seven Trees shoulder holster as a back up for years, while that was allowed. That gun was the choice of terrorists, such as the BLA, at the time for good reason. I've never tampered with it and it's served me well for many years like it has for millions around the world. To this day it looks and works like new.

Not shooting the one you inherited is a travesty. If you must have another then save your bucks and get the real thing.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; March 28, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:47 PM   #16
tahunua001

I usually hear good reviews on Arcus HP clones. the 94 and 94c are single action but the 98 and 98dac are double action so they aren't true clones.
Old March 28, 2012, 06:36 PM   #17
gunsmokeTPF

Bspillman said he wanted a clone, cause for his own reason didn't want to shoot his HP and that's fine. But what gives here? I can see that the Arcus is DA and I personally have no knowledge, or interest in them. Why would anyone refer to them as a HP clone? Is he looking for something to buy that's similar to the Browning, cause if he is he's shopping in the wrong store????
Old March 28, 2012, 07:15 PM   #18
WVsig

Quote:
The Argentinean Hi-Powers are not really "clones." They are exact duplicates, other than finish, built under license from FN. The name is FM (for "Fabrique Militaire"). I have owned two, and both ran flawlessly out of the box and thereafter. I let one of the guys at my range's local competition try one of mine because he thought he might do better with a 9mm than a .45 1911
It all depends on the vintage of FM... The quality has varied greatly over the years which is illustrated perfectly in the responses given so far about these pistols. Early is typically better than later ones... Personally I see no need for HP clones...

Why buy a clone? This real deal FN Hi Power cost me $425 OTD....

Last edited by WVsig; March 28, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:50 PM   #19
gunsmokeTPF

Now that's more like it. I can appreciate it. It's true that the way things are made today can be disappointing. That goes for winchester, colt and smiths. Like myself, the older ones were built better and that's why I own them.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #20
bdb benzino

I have a 1989 customized BHP and love it, but what got me going on the Hi Powers in general was an FEG PJK 9HP and then a FM90 that I customized. All of them shoot great and are more than accurate enough. IMHO if you can get them for $300-$350 they are great and serviceable pistols!
Old March 29, 2012, 12:42 AM   #21
NWPilgrim

I have a FEG 9HP that shoots great is accurate enough and reliable. I bought it for $220 years ago just to see what the BHP style is like. Also a friend who shot one in competition advised saving money with a FEG and putting more toward a Bar-Sto bbl if you want real accuracy.

The only thing I do not like is the front sight is not easily replaced. But as a secondary gun for that is not a big deal. I really like the BHP format and if it were to be a primary defensive arm I would get a more modern version of a real Browning.
Old March 29, 2012, 03:32 AM   #22
arentol

Do you mean your HP has never been fired at all, or just never been fired by you?

If you want an HP just call up CDNN and you can get a real one for $700 or $750 (Depending on version) + shipping (~$20) + local FFL fees (~$30)... So $750-800. I did this recently and do not regret it at all. It is a fantastic gun.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:38 AM   #23
Skans

My recommendation is find a C-series Belgian made "shooter". Look for one that has some finish problems - you can pick them up for reasonable prices and they make excellent shooters. But, you won't pay a collector's premium. I see that the Belgian Hi-Powers used by the Israeli Military are going for around $500. Not pretty guns, but I'd bet they are excellent shooters.
Old March 29, 2012, 08:20 AM   #24
WVsig

The FN BHP that I posted above is an Isreali MKII 1/2... Most of these trade ins were not used by the Isreali Military they are Police or IDF.

Most of the good ones are gone and when there were a ton of them they sold for $350 to $500 depending on condition and vintage.
Old March 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Pilot

You can find really nice used MK III Browning Hi Powers for around $500 if you look a bit. Get the real deal.