The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Jack_Bauer24

Ruger 10/22 Scope Base Issue

I was mounting a Leupold STD base on my Ruger 10/22 and when I went to tighten the screws I must have over tightened the middle screw a bit to much as it spins around and will not tighten up like the otehr two. I removed it and tightened it the best I could. Will this be ok or do I need to do something else to it???
Old December 17, 2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Scorch

Sounds like you stripped the threads in the receiver. There are a few options:
- Have a larger hole drilled and tapped so you can put a larger screw in it.
- Peen the hole to push some metal into the screw hole to give the screw threads some metal to bite on. Do not overtighten!
- Epoxy the screw in place.
- There are liquid compounds that will "restore" the threads when applied inside a hole and the screw inserted. Similar to the epoxy method mentioned above.
Old December 17, 2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Pahoo

May not be an issue

Not familiar with your base but if it's a one pice base, you should not have anchoring the base with the ramianing screws and leave the bad one as is. Now, you can go ahead and fix the bad hole and there is more than one way to make this fix. usually when you mount a reciever base it's pretty much going to stay put, for the optics. Your problem is quite common as there is not a much metal on the upper wall of the reciever. Take care not to use to long of a screw as it might cause the bolt, to drag or malfunction. ....

One fix is to retap for and oversized screw. Then there are additional options on what to do next, like locktite blue or double sticky tape and such.

Be Safe !!!
Old December 22, 2011, 11:10 AM   #4
fishoot

How I fixed mine...

I have been in your shoes, but with a different one-piece base. I re-tapped the holes to a larger screw, then sanded the bottom of the scope base. I scribed around the base while it was attached (lightly) to the receiver, then scribed the footprint of the base and removed it. I used a Dremel to grind some roughness into the area scribed and attached the base with epoxy or bedding compount (don't remember which). Wipe the edges with some Q-tips to get the excess off. The base will never move again. It's an easy fix.