The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2011, 12:16 PM   #1
dcphotos

Shotgun Advice Requested

I looked at a Mossburg 835 the other day. Has Mossy Oak camo and it's a 12-guage pump chambered for 3 1/2" shells. I own several rifles and handguns, but I've never owned a shotgun. I'd like to be able to use it to shoot skeet, not going to a range or competing just shooting in the backyard. I'd also like to be able to use to hunt deer with .00, and maybe buy a slug barrel for next year. I have very dense woods around my house and don't have a spot where I have a long range shot.

What I thought about that I didn't ask at the shop, if I have one of these do I have to fire the 3 1/2" shells or can I use the 2 3/4" or 3" shells also?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old December 2, 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

In a pump gun chamber for 3 1/2" you can shoot them all
Old December 2, 2011, 01:38 PM   #3
dcphotos

Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure about that model.
Old December 2, 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
the rifleer

Theres no REAL need for a 3.5'' chamber, but i suppose its one of those things thats cool to have just to have. 835 is just a mossberg 500 with a 3.5'' chamber. Its a solid gun.
Old December 2, 2011, 03:33 PM   #5
bitttorrrent

I was thinking of a MOssberg also.

Is the rifled barrel only for deer slugs?

I am new to shotguns too.
Old December 2, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
dcphotos

Yeah the rifled barrel is for slugs.
Old December 2, 2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Orphanedcowboy

Quote:
Theres no REAL need for a 3.5'' chamber, but i suppose its one of those things thats cool to have just to have. 835 is just a mossberg 500 with a 3.5'' chamber. Its a solid gun.
Well technically that is true, The 500 has a standard .729" bore where the 835 has a .775"(think 10ga) bore
Old December 2, 2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Rifled barrels are better suited to sabot type slugs. Smoothbores are for rifled slugs. Mossberg used to warn people not to shoot slugs in the overbore 835 barrels...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:54 AM   #9
dcphotos

Bought the gun. Went back to the shop and the price tag was more than they had said the other day, but it was still less than online prices.

Left gun shop and headed home, bought ammo and clays on the way at Academy sports. Wife calls and ask for other errands, I get home about 45 minutes before dark. Put my boots and pants on and went out in the woods, put a couple rounds of .00 in it. Sat down for a while, almost dozed off. Squirrels are everywhere. Last fall squirrels ate all of our pears and apples, so I said this wither we were going to have an apple-fed squirrel pie. Took buckshot out, put target load in and killed a couple. Picked them up, walked back toward the house and looked up at 3 deer about 20 yards in front of me. No ammo was in gun. Damn! Squirrel stew one night this week though.
Old December 5, 2011, 11:20 AM   #10
redstategunnut

Lesson: reload your shotgun any chance you get.
Old December 5, 2011, 01:17 PM   #11
zippy13

I get home about 45 minutes before dark. Put my boots and pants on and went out in the woods, put a couple rounds of .00 in it.
Your time may have been better spent pursing the owners manual and cleaning the factory junk from your new gun.