The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 22, 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Big Tom

Need help finding a shoulder holster

Hi guys, so winter is coming around and I am looking for a bigger gun other than my little Kel tec P32. I intend to use it as my back up gun. I was looking at a Charter Arms Bulldog Target Model. This model has a 4" barrel. Before anyone goes hating on charters let me just say that I like em! I like em a lot! They are American Made, Affordable, VERY light weight, and the customer service is supreme! Anyways, this is a big bore revolver (obviously .44 specials tend to be). I wanted a good should holster but I am a big boy. My chest is 52", I am boarding 6'3 and I weight approx 300 lbs and most of the ones I saw for shoulder holsters are good only up to a size 48" chest. First off what size holster do I need for a 4" barreled revolver? And then who makes shoulder holsters for big dudes like my? I am a fan of nylon and other synthetic materials over leather btw. But if leather is all they have I will settle for one. I am desperate! Thank You!
Old September 22, 2011, 10:20 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

One bit of info that may help is that, for practical purposes, the Charter Arms Bulldog is nearly identical in its dimensions to the Ruger SP101... So, if you experiment with googling some phrases such as "shoulder holster for 4" barrel SP101" you'll get some leads... More success probably than googling phrases for "Bulldog shoulder holster"... etc.

I know they're virtually interchangeable in size because I have both and use the same holsters with both (though mine are 2" bbl. snubbies... the principle is the same).

PS: I like my Bulldog a lot too!... Though I don't shoot it at the range A LOT... I always feel VERY confident carrying it... .44 Special rocks for SD!

Last edited by CWKahrFan; September 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old September 22, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

small problem for large guys...

You may have big problems finding a good shoulder rig for a 52" chest with most major shoulder holster makers.
You can check around but Lawman Leathergoods offers the treated STU rig in black and the popular Dirty Harry style.
Some members have complained about the firms customer service. They may have a model you can buy for a .44spl revolver.
The Bianchi X15 shoulder holster is well known too.
Old September 23, 2011, 12:35 AM   #4
Big Tom

thanks for the tips guys. If you can think of anything else please let me know!
Old September 23, 2011, 12:59 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

I'd just add that fitting a shoulder holster is usually kind of a long process for me... I've had to alter some of the ones I bought... scissors-needle-and-thread altering... changing angles, taking up here, letting out there, etc.

They are fairly adjustable as they're made, but still... I guess what I'm trying to say is that attaining a comfortable and efficient shoulder holster CAN BE quite a project... but WORTH putting time and effort into. When they fit good they're really quite nice for all-day carry when you get the wardrobe factors figured out!

For your size you may have to end up adding some strap lengths but it's not so hard to do if you're patient and have the time.

PS: I've found that only the vertical ones work for me... But that's just me... Everybody's built a little different... some guys prefer the horizontal.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Big Tom

Well I might need my father for that one. I can stitch but he sure can. I like the uncle mike's holsters. I have one for inside the pants for my kel tec, and one for open carrying my ruger p95. So far I really like both a lot. Do you know what size I will need? btw, I am a left handed shooter.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:50 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

The Uncle Mike's linked here oughta work... It looks like there's a lot of strap material there... You might get away with it as-is if you wear the gun higher than in the picture... (I prefer to wear 'em high anyhow... nearly up to my armpit).
If you click on the "Fit Chart", it looks to me like the 8302-2 is going to be the best bet for you...

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/s..._holsters.html
Old September 23, 2011, 10:52 AM   #8
Big Tom

Thanks for sharing that with me!
Old September 23, 2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Don P

This might work www.kangaroocarry.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 25, 2011, 01:46 AM   #10
BruceM

"You can check around but Lawman Leathergoods offers the treated STU rig in black and the popular Dirty Harry style."

Before anybody does any business with Lawman Leather Goods, they'd best do a little homework and then make a decision. This company has been bankrupt a number of times from what I understand, currently has an extremely low rating with the Nevada BBB and has had real issues actually delivering prepaid leather orders. There are a number of threads concerning this on the Smith-Wesson Forum and others so watch yourself on this one!

Bruce