The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Thefiring007

Kahr pm9 thoughts??

I'm looking into a pocket 9mm can you give any feedback on this gun for concealed carry?
Old September 21, 2011, 10:51 AM   #2
C0untZer0

I went to Cabella's in shorts and just dropped one in my pocket.

I think for myself that it will be OK as far as weight and size for pocket carry. It did print but I wouldn't just carry it in my pocket anyway. There are good pocket holsters for it.

I think it has a servicable trigger for it's role - SD, most likely at close quarters.

You can go on Kahrtalk forum to see people's feedback, in addition to the people here who carry them.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
WVsig

Good guns I am not a fan of pocket carry so I went with the CW9. I would also look at the CM9 which is the budget line Kahr. You get a none dovetail front sight, MIM slide release, 1 mag and a standard rifling for a lot less.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
MLeake

You'll definitely want a good pocket holster, as the angles on the PM9 print more than do the curves of a J-frame (I used to have a PM9, and still have a J-frame).

The PM9 is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun. They've been known to require some break-in; mine did, but finally turned into a very reliable pistol. Recoil springs require replacement sooner than many others might, and you'll want to keep it clean and well-lubricated.

I ended up selling it to a buddy, whose wife really liked it. For pocket carry, I prefer the J-frame.

I found a couple of good, canted, high-ride belt holsters for the PM9 via amazon.com, and I recommend those instead, but YMMV.
Old September 21, 2011, 02:52 PM   #5
spclPatrolGroup

I love my PM9, its extremely accurate for a pocket pistol. But there are 2 things you should be aware of, when chambering a round, you need to hit the slide release and let it come forward full force, dont pull back on the slide and let go, this is actually in the instructions that come with the pistol. Also they require a break in period, Kahr suggests 200 rounds, until you get it broke in, you can expect the occasional feed problem. Too many people dont do these, and complain.

The only differnce in the PM and the CW other than price is, the CW only comes with the 1 six round mag, the PM also comes with a 7 rounder that will extend the grip. The CW has traditional rifling, the PM has polygonal rifling.
Old September 21, 2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Thefiring007

What is the difference between the 2 riflings? Is the CW made with cheaper components?
Old September 21, 2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Dr_2_B

As I understand it, the CW series is made with maybe one or two cheaper components (I'm thinking of the slide stop). But for the most part it is functionally identical to the PM series. The CW also lacks a little of the finer machining done on the PM9... some refining of the slide and the engraving. I consider them to be equally good, but I'm holding out for the PM9 (which will be my next gun purchase) because I want the black slide with CT laser sight.

ETA: Oops, I meant to type CM series.

Last edited by Dr_2_B; September 22, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
KyJim

I have the CM9 and really like it. It's small enough to carry in most pants pockets in addition to IWB carry. Keep in mind that the gun will likely need a couple of hundred rounds through it before being reliable with hollow points. Kahr will tell you that and a lot of Kahr owners have experienced that.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Flakbait

The PM9 is a bit large but definately doable for pocket carry with a good holster (Superfly) and large front pockets like cargo shorts or loose fitting pants. I think only the Keltec 9mm and the rare Robar 9mm (never seen one available) come close to the size of the PM9. The key conceilability advantage of the PM9 size is the the short height of only 4 inches. Most of the newer 9mm small handguns have heights larger that 4 inches which improves ergonomics (larger surface to grip) but hinders pocket carry and conceilability. In your pocket, the grip handle is the part of the handgun that sticks out and prints (assuming you have a good holster)

A J frame 5 shot revolver with its natural curves carries better in the pocket despite its slightly larger length and width than the PM9. I switch back and forth between a Smith 342 revolver and a PM9.

The PM9 carries a slightly more potent cartridge 9MM than the 38 special and more rounds at your immediate disposal. All conceal carry is a balance of trades offs. If I knew I would get into a gun fight, I would have brought my AR or better yet have stayed home and called the SWAT team.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:48 PM   #10
OcSpeed

I was thinking about getting one, seem like great guns. I was at a gun store and they only had a kel-tec pf9 for, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it... $245, it only came with one magazine but it runs like a champ!
Old September 21, 2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Shadi Khalil

I've never owned a PM9 but I've owned the MK9 and own a CW9, which is on it's way out. I've always loved Kahr pistols and while it took some time to grow on me, the triggers are excellent. My only problem with Kahr pistols is the need to use the slide release for reliable feeding. If I sling shot the side I will have the a FTF (nose dive) 50% of the time. Thats the case with my CW but never happened with the MK. However, I knew this going in when I bought the CW (it's in the manual) but figured it was just a disclaimer since it never happened with my MK9. This is not a problem for most people but being a south paw, slide releases are all but useless to me. I think that even if I was right handed that would still turn me off of kahrs as I much prefer the sling shot method. Having said all that, I still believe they are one of the finest manufactures of small autos.

Last edited by Shadi Khalil; September 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old September 21, 2011, 08:44 PM   #12
orionengnr

After owning a series of j-frames, I bought a PM9 about five years ago. After one range trip, and after dropping it into my pocket, I started putting my j-frames up for sale. I pocket carried the PM9 for 3 1/2 years, shooting it at least once a month.

About two years ago, I moved to it's big brother, the P45...and about a year later, I finally moved to a 1911 for EDC instead of now-and-then or weekend carry.

I no longer own any 9mms...except for the PM9. I just can't bear to part with it.
I no longer own a j-frame, and do not see myself owning another in the future. Nor do I own a .38Spl, although I own three .357s in K and N frames.
Old September 21, 2011, 09:44 PM   #13
Dashunde

7 years ago I sold my PM9 due to a move to a non-ccw state and regretted selling it ever since, that is until I finally replaced it with another PM9 (black this time) and its been on my side most everyday since.
It only stays home on very hot days when I wear Nike/basketball type of shorts - thats where the LCP earns its keep.

They need to round off the front of the slide, and switch over to a barrel pin and frame mounted slide release if you ask me, but otherwise its perfect.

Yes, I LOVE the PM9.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:35 AM   #14
AustinTX

Quote:
But there are 2 things you should be aware of, when chambering a round, you need to hit the slide release and let it come forward full force, dont pull back on the slide and let go, this is actually in the instructions that come with the pistol.
Maybe a Kahr aficionado can tell me otherwise, but this seems like a serious flaw in the design of Kahr pistols to me. I have induced several FTFeed by absentmindedly attempting to slingshot the slide on my P380. How are you supposed to quickly deal with a malfunction in a Kahr? Seems like "tap, rack, bang" is precluded by design.
Old September 22, 2011, 05:29 AM   #15
spodwo

Quote:
Maybe a Kahr aficionado can tell me otherwise, but this seems like a serious flaw in the design of Kahr pistols to me. I have induced several FTFeed by absentmindedly attempting to slingshot the slide on my P380. How are you supposed to quickly deal with a malfunction in a Kahr? Seems like "tap, rack, bang" is precluded by design.
I can get my Kahr to chamber properly without using the slide lock release. But in the case of reloading - the slide is locked back anyway after last round. When it's new - its more difficult to do this but mine is easier to do after the 700 plus rounds now....Mine is a PM9 though and not the .380.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:39 AM   #16
RetiredMajor

Quote:
I can get my Kahr to chamber properly without using the slide lock release. But in the case of reloading - the slide is locked back anyway after last round. When it's new - its more difficult to do this but mine is easier to do after the 700 plus rounds now....Mine is a PM9 though and not the .380.
My PM9 will chamber a round either way and pretty much always has. I do it all the time. Certainly the gun has loosened up. My PM9 is my daily carry and an excelent little gun.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:09 PM   #17
JH

My PM9 has been 100% out of the box. I now have about 1200 rounds through it. My PM9 and my K9 Elite have never jammed. Kahr pistols have very tight tolerances and break-in is often necessary to achieve reliability. Go over to "kahrtalk.com" to get more information.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:12 PM   #18
KyJim

Quote:
As others have indicated, Kahrs will slingshot. The instruction to use the slide release lever is to avoid problems if you don't cleanly release the slide or you "ride" it just a bit. There's not much room for error here because of the short slide.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:36 PM   #19
Dashunde

No problem slingshotting mine either - its probably just not the best method when they're new'ish.
Old September 22, 2011, 05:08 PM   #20
Thefiring007

I finally got a chance to hold a cm9 it felt kind of cheap, i know they are good guns but it just didnt feel and operate like my 238 Sig. The magazine doesnt even drop out the way it should you have to pull it out. The slide stop is rough and the machining is poor. The Slide is stiff stiff stiff and doesnt feel right
Old September 22, 2011, 06:16 PM   #21
bege

I love mine. About 1000 rounds through it with minimal issues, all early on.

CC about 50% Alternate with LCP. Unnoticeable difference in size, LCP a lot lighter, but even that's minimal with a good belt. The pm9 is much more fun to shoot.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:13 PM   #22
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefiring007
I finally got a chance to hold a cm9 it felt kind of cheap, i know they are good guns but it just didnt feel and operate like my 238 Sig. The magazine doesnt even drop out the way it should you have to pull it out. The slide stop is rough and the machining is poor. The Slide is stiff stiff stiff and doesnt feel right
Blizblaz based soley on fooling with one at the counter..
Judging a Kahr at the counter is pointless.
That "cheap" feeling comes along with its miniscule 14oz empty weight.
Go shoot 5 hundred rounds thru one and carry it for a few months, then report back, your feelings will be different at that time as you will have certainly uncovered its virtues by then.

Kahrs are very well machined and almost too tight to start with, hence the break-in period that some gripe about.
Put 2-300 rounds thru that very same gun and it will become nice and smooth in no time.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:41 PM   #23
AustinTX

Quote:
As others have indicated, Kahrs will slingshot. The instruction to use the slide release lever is to avoid problems if you don't cleanly release the slide or you "ride" it just a bit. There's not much room for error here because of the short slide.
Makes sense. After all, the slide is fully "retracted" as the slide cycles during firing. I've probably been lazy in technique when slingshotting has resulted in FTFeed in my P380. There's definitely no margin for error with the P380, given its super-short slide stroke.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:49 PM   #24
AustinTX

Quote:
Kahrs are very well machined and almost too tight to start with, hence the break-in period that some gripe about.
Kahrs are machined for a tight fit, but they are not machined particularly precisely. Final finishing at the factory appears to be nonexistent. More than most brands in that price range, unattended machining flaws are usually instantly visible on Kahr pistols (burrs, high and low spots, and so on).

People very often conflate tightness with precision. They're totally different concepts. There are plenty of very tight-fitting guns that don't exhibit the same need for a break-in period; the machining on these guns is far more precise (helped by final finishing).
Old September 23, 2011, 06:00 PM   #25
Dashunde

Tightness Precision, Potato Patato.

While I'd agree that they could (easily) reinvent themselves as absolute cream-of-the-crop ccw gun makers by putting 10 more minutes into each example, the fact still remains that AFTER a owner puts 200 rounds thru their PM9 it is very likely to be a fantastic firearm worthy of lifetime carry status.

And like I've said before... I wouldnt carry or trust a gun I havnt put 200 thru anyway, so who cares

I'm not a Kahr nut, or Glock nut, or whatever... but my PM9 and G27 will be the last to go.