The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Big Tom

Kel tec P32 Range Report/Review

So as some of you know I had put a Kel Tec P32 on layaway. I had intended it to be used for cc at my work. I picked it up yesterday at one of my local shops. I did pay a hefty $260 for it even though I could have gotten it for $230 after transfers online, but I decided to support my local businesses instead and paid the extra money. No matter how you look at it, for a gun it is a very nice and affordable price tag. Anyway I took the little guy home and cleaned it with some hoppes 9 and lubed it up with Rem Oil.

I took it to the range today and shot it. I was using Fiocchi 73 grain FMJ's and Fiocchi 60 grain JHP's. For the first 100 or so rounds the gun was jamming frequently, I would say in the ballpark of about 17-22 rounds. I did not let this discourage me as the Kel Tec Hand Book guide says that for the first 100 or so rounds the gun would have many of these problems. I continued on to 120 rounds at which point the gun was much better.

I shot another 75 rounds without any further failures. In the allotted time I experienced no "rimlock" of any sort. The trigger pull was very smooth and light, and recoil was spot on to what I was looking for. After I had put close to 200 rounds I noticed that the frame rubbing up against my webbing and thumb was starting to bleed a little. It did not hurt but was uncomforitable.

This is fine however as no one will be shooting 200 rounds in this or any gun for that matter in a shoot out. Even if you did it doesn't even really hurt. I put the gun back in it's case and went home. The gun is overall a great value and offers those of us on a limited budget with limited means of carry a well rounded, easy to shoot, and easy to obtain cc gun. I recommend you shoot approx 400 FMJ rounds and 150 JHP rounds before carrying. I do this with all my guns to make sure they are reliable.

***I hope this review was helpful and I may post footage of the range trip and some picks in the future.***

Side Note: The front sight was hard to keep on target as it blended with the rear sight a lot. I recommend if you cant afford as laser (myself included) to get some orange, red, or green luminous paint and touch up the front sight. Again I hope this range report/review helps you out and I hope you pay some attention to this easy to conceal, easy to shoot, lightweight AMERICAN pocket pistol. Thanks again all!
Old September 17, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Trooper Joe

My 2 year old KelTec P32 has never malfunctioned. Rimlock is only a concern with hollow point/defense ammo.

Recently bought a Ruger LCP which was pretty much flawless. However, when wearing dress pants to church a month ago, went back to the P-32 which is 3 oz lighter.

My P32 seems very accurate. I carry a Winchester Silvertip in the barrel and top round of the magazine with the rest fmj ammo.

This is my Rodney Dangerfield gun (I get no respect ). It really works, and is the first gun I have carried all the time since retiring as a State LEO 22 years ago.

Trooper Joe
Old September 17, 2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Big Tom

So your saying it is unusual for these jams to occur?
Old September 17, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
dsk

I have two P-32s. One is an early 1st-gen with the hexagonal slide, and it has been nearly flawless, with only one FTE back when it was new. However I also only shoot FMJ through it. My other one is from the latest generation, and it too has been reliable although I seem to prefer the sighting arrangement of the older one. I've tried to sell my new one online, but there are so many brand-new ones for sale dirt cheap that I gave up and will probably just use it as trade-in material the next time I get a hankering to buy a new gun.

In my opinion, if you got 17-22 malfunctions in the first 100 rounds that was WAY too many, unless I mis-read your original post. Three or four I can understand, but not over a dozen.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Big Tom

Here is a vid I made on it with the jamming problem. Any suggestions then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEx_LyYxyB8
Old September 17, 2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Trooper Joe

Neat video.

I would say it is the extractor. I would send it back to KelTec along with a copy of the video.

Some KelTec forum members have posted this same or similar problem which was solved when KelTec sent them a new extractor which they installed themselves.

Good luck,

Trooper Joe
Old September 17, 2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Big Tom

Also is their a reason why I cant put the mags in without having to hold down the mag release to slide it in?
Old September 17, 2011, 11:00 PM   #8
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Here is a vid I made on it with the jamming problem. Any suggestions then?
I know that the little pistols can be a handful (actually way less than a handfull creating problems) and can be difficult to hang on to.

I did notice that the shooters readjusted grip after many of the shots. Try to maintain a constant grip from shot to shot; accuracy and follow up speed will more than likely improve. (Adding a Hogue grip or "skateboard tape" might help in this department; added the Hogue to my LCP and it helped quite a bit.)

If you continue to not have any more malfunctions, call it good. If more malfunctions, call Kel-Tec.

Now, go figure...
Old September 17, 2011, 11:31 PM   #9
wild cat mccane

it is kinda not officially recommended to push the mag release button when inserting.

The catch is plastic and not only does it work more smoothly but you eliminate the wear. The PF-9 is set up the same way and they switched this part to metal after it was pointed out this part gets abused.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:42 PM   #10
michael t

Use a good oil not that Rem oil. Mil tec, break free , mobil , 1 I have 3 KelTec p-32 and not have experience first problem . My better 1/2 and daughters now have them. I have a P-3AT and now a PF-9 also.

For sure push mag release when loading a mag. Never slam a mag home in these KelTecs Its silly to do so any way.
Check to make sure you Frankenstein bolt is tight some times they come loose and will cause jams.

Clean it real good again use a better gun oil and shoot away.

Last edited by michael t; September 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:43 AM   #11
khegglie

Pacmayr makes a little grip sleave thet fits perfectly.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Big Tom

I really didnt have problems keeping my hands on the gun, it was more so when I was putting concentration with filming from one hand and shooting from the other. I was shooting much better of course with both hands on the gun and was able to learn how the gun shoots a bit better. I am not a great shot with it yet but I am happy to say I can get the shots exactly where I want within 3 shots. I need more time with the gun and I emailed Kel tec to let them know that I feel I need a new extractor and frame. I'll be posting the rest of the range video soon for you guys to see. I also brought my Charter Pathfinder (.22 WMR), and Raven P25 along for the ride. It appears that I had more jams in the Kel Tec than the Raven which is not good....I think the Charter is what I am stuck with until I get this kel tec fixed and broken in some more.
Old September 21, 2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Big Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKBQx...el_video_title
Old September 22, 2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Stressfire

Tom,
The jam that occurs at the 1:14 mark in your first vid is the type I have been having with my 3AT - ie, case stays stuck in the chamber a bit and the next round sticks on it - in some cases the empty isn't removed at all.

Then again I can have 2-3 flawless magazines worth before it starts again.

Posted prob on here a bit ago, most suggested calling Kel-Tec but haven't had enough time off from work to even put in a call to Kel-tec during business hours.

I'm thinking limp-wristing on my part, but can't get enough range time to confirm or discount, sigh - Jobs, those annoying 8 hours before happy hour - because by then all the ranges are closed
Old September 22, 2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Big Tom

Stressfire, I know what ya mean brother.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Chettt

I never fluffed and buffed it or even oiled mine when it was new and have had no problems. I always use fmj Remington, Winchester and Fiochi cartridges. I'd contact the company.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:55 PM   #17
Justice06RR

Great review.

It is normal for Keltecs to have feeding/jamming issues during break-in. Just keep shooting it, clean n lube after each session until the issues go away and your comfortable CC-ing it.

If the problems persist, you can always send it to Keltec. they're CS is top notch from what I hear.