The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Colvin

Which Les Baer to get?

Okay, so I'm looking at Baer's lower priced guns.

Does the Monolith have a lot less recoil than the Premier II, and does the Monolith Heavyweight have even less? Would I be better off just getting a 6" Premier II? Thanks.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Don Glock

extra weight keeps the muzzle flip down, sure. the monoliths do have a sweet look about them too. they're a hunk of steel though. heavier than i'd want for carry.

i can't stand adj sights on 1911's, personally. fixed for sure if it's for carry.

however, since you're asking about monoliths and 6inchers, i assume you're looking for range/competition use. recoil and accuracy difference is negligible between all the models you mentioned. a 6inch barrel will get slightly more velocity, not that it would matter.

go to the les baer forum on 1911forum.com. those guys have years of experience with baers.
Old September 11, 2011, 11:17 AM   #3
zombieslayer

Id special order one without the forward serrations. Maybe they'll charge less even...?
Old September 11, 2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Skadoosh

I'm also not a fan of the forward serrations. I am not a fan of the monolith look either. I must be a traditionalist...
Old September 11, 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
38 Super Fan

The Mono and PII will be about identical recoil wise, the hvy mono should have a noticably different feel as it's about 3.5 ounces heavier, and all the weight is nice and low relative to the bore. A longslide will also have a different feel than your standard PII. If recoil is a big factor, have you considered a 38 Super or 9mm? I sold my PII recently to buy a Hvy Mono in 9mm, if you do end up buying a new Baer, talk to CJ at 1911heaven, his prices can't be beat.

Last edited by 38 Super Fan; September 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM.