The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 3, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1
waymore

Mosin-Nagant?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id=411540201

Not familiar with these but saw this deal on Buds then and watched the video review. for $109 seems like I cant go wrong. but was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Any real cons with this gun?
Should I look around and find one at my LGS, or is this a good bargain?
Has anyone bought on of these form Buds? what was condition of it?

Thanks
Old September 3, 2011, 05:34 PM   #2
excelerater

I own one got it a few days ago,shot it for the first time today about 25 rounds
got it from BUDS 109.00..........Its a fun shooter,kicks like a mule and
drives em in like a tack.......plus ammo is 70 bucks for 440 rounds online

I think mine was never even shot - get one,you wont regret it

FOR MOTHER RUSSIA ! iE: COD2
Old September 3, 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
kraigwy

They are excellent rifles for the price. If you get a chance to look at a rack of them, take a bore light and pick the best bore you can.

I guess I missed something, I don't think they are that big of a kicker.

Clean it up, dry fire a few hours, you'd supprise how smooth they are. It's a trick to load the five round trips, but a bit of practice you can get pretty quick.

Find a CMP-GSM Clinic, they'll show you how to shoot the sucker. Then attend some GSM vintage military matches.

Those old work horses deserve to be given the chance to show us they still have it in them.

WARNING, Vintage Military Rifles are habit forming. You wont be able to stop at one.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 3, 2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

A lot more information on the Curio & Relic threads. The M/N is a Russian, and other Com. Bloc countries military surplus rifle.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Another site with good info: http://milsurpshooter.net/

You can also do a google search to find some Mosin Nagant only forums.

Great milsurp rifles. accuracy can be a problem with some individual rifles, but that's the case with most milsurps. Surplus ammo is still pretty cheap, but is corrosive requiring thorough cleaning.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 3, 2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Mk VII

Condition can vary from 'good as new' to 'terrible'. Trigger pull can vary from 'mediocre' to 'dreadful' and only a limited amount can be done to improve it. Considerable variation in groove diameter can be encountered in these rifles and it is well to slug the bore (after buying, usually). Carbines kick hard with factory ammo but can be downloaded to perfectly satisfactory performance.
We may never see such large quantities of surplus bolt-action arms available again once these are gone.
Old September 3, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
GONIF

Aim has them on sale now ,matching # and bayo for 79.99 .
Old September 3, 2011, 06:39 PM   #7
chack

Check out classic arms. They are a great company to do business with even if they mistakenly call mosins "nagants" and don't proofread their ads well:

http://classicarms.us/
SELECT GRADE M91/30
ROUND RECEIVER RIRFLES
STARTING AT ONLY................. $75.00

Quote:
WE JUST RECEIVED ( BY ACCIDENT ) WHAT VERY WELL MAY BE THE NICEST SHIPMENT OF M91/30 MOISIN NAGANT RIFLES WE HAVE EVER GOTTEN IN. WHEN I SAY BY ACCIDENT, I MEAN WE NEVER INTENDED TO ORDER THESE PARTICULAR RIFLES. WE INTENDED TO ORDER MORE HEX RECEIVER RIFLES BUT FAILED TO NOTATE HEX RECEIVER ON OUR PURCHASE ORDER. AS A RESULT THESE ROUND RECEIVER GUNS CAME IN. WELL, SOMETIMES ITS BETTER TO BE LUCKY THAN GOOD AND OH WHAT A BLESSING IN DISGUISE. THESE THINGS ARE GORGEOUS. NOT ONLY THAT, THEY WERE SORTED AND STORED IN THE AN OBSCURE RUSSIAN ARSENAL IN THE MID 1970'S AND AS SUCH HAVE NOT BEEN CHERRY PICKED OR QUALITY DEPLETED LIKE SO MANY ROUND RECEIVER RIFLES YOU SEE ON THE MARKET. ALSO, WE HAVE NOT FOUND ANY ELECTRO PENCIL MARKINGS AND ALL OF THE PRIMARY NUMBERS WE HAVE FOUND MATCH SO FAR. NOW WE CAN'T GUARENTEE ALL MATCHING, UNLESS YOU GO HANDPICK
( ALTHOUGH I WOULD SAY 90% OF THEM DO ). WE HAVE SEEN A FEW FORCE MATCH FLOORPLATES OR BUTTPLATES, BUT EVERY RIFLE WE HAVE SEEN HAS A MATCHING BOLT AND RECEIVER. WE HAVE ALSO SEEN A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF RIFLES WITH THE RED MARKINGS AS YOU CAN SEE IN SOME OF THE PHOTO'S ABOVE. ALL OF THESE RIFLES WILL SHIP WITH A BAYONET, AS WELL AS SLING, CLEANING TOOLS AND POUCH. THESE ARE REALLY SPECIAL SELECT.
WE ARE EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THESE RIFLES, STILL, WE ORDERED THEM THINKING WE WERE ORDERING HEX RECEIVER, ( WHICH WE STILL HAVE TO GO BACK AND GET ) AND WE GOT MORE THAN WE WANT TO CARRY THROUGH THE SUMMER. AS SUCH WE NEED TO MOVE THEM. SO, NOT ONLY DO YOU GET A GREAT RIFLE. YOU GET A GREAT PRICE..... I EXPECT THESE TO GO FAST.... PLACE YOUR ORDER NOW...
ITEM # ....................M91/30
M91-30 ROUND RECEIVER RIFLE
W / SLING, BAYONET AND ACCESSORY PKG.....$79.99
ADD $10.00 FOR HAND SELECT BASED ON CONDITION
ADD $10.00 FOR TULA MANUFACTURE
Old September 3, 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
waymore

well I ended up ordering one. For this price I don't imagin I could be too disappointed. I bought from buds at 109$ with free shipping. I ordered before I saw Chacks comment. oh well they already have my FFL and other info stored so it was easy.

where should I pick up ammo for this ol boy?
Old September 3, 2011, 07:25 PM   #9
tobnpr

There's a lot to learn, or nothing, about shooting the MN depending on your level of interest and how accurate you want it to shoot.

This should be in the C&R sec, do a search there.

Surplus ammo is cheap and plentiful, but it is corrosive:
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=2...ds=&sortby=cpr

I bought a couple of MN's from Buds and the were re-arsenaled and in pristine condition.
Old September 3, 2011, 08:04 PM   #10
the rifleer

You made a very good buy. Ammo is cheap. buy the 440 or 880 round cases online, thats the cheapest way.

SURPLUS AMMO IS CORROSIVE! so google how to clean after corrosive ammo, its easy, but make sure you do it. Use lots of water and some soap, then clean like normal. Thats the only down fall to this rifle; you have to clean it after every time you shoot it.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
well I ended up ordering one.
Ahh, let the Mosin fever begin!
Old September 3, 2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Katophract

I can't think of a reason to NOT own a Mosin.
Old September 4, 2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

For the price, it's a great gun. I don't think they kick that hard and mine is in almost new condition. The trigger is really heavy on mine but for a fun plinking range gun I have no complaints considering I paid $79 for mine.
Old September 4, 2011, 07:56 AM   #14
Eghad

Have one of those and picked up a M38 and M44 as well.

NRA Life Member
Old September 4, 2011, 06:27 PM   #15
AirborneMosinFan

Ammo and cleaning

Get yourself some pure ammonia to clean everything metal, ammonia breaks down the salts that rust your parts. After that I just use standard penetrating oil to clean and preserve the weapon. It's wise to clean after everytime you shoot as well as once a week if its sitting. As for ammo I've found good prices on ammotogo.com, the brown bear soft points sell for pretty cheap.
Old September 4, 2011, 07:10 PM   #16
Philo

First off, Bud's is a great place to buy firearms. The prices are really low on most of their stuff and I've never had any trouble buying new guns from them. However, when it comes to buying used guns, particularly surplus rifles, I personally prefer to look at them before I buy because condition and quality can vary.

I bought my 1943 Izhevsk Arsenal-built Mosin Nagant M91/30 at a local department store about four months ago. They had them on sale for $90, complete with bayonet, dog collar sling, two ammo pouches, and a cleaning kit. Normal price was $100. At that time there were about twenty of them in the display case. I'm glad I bought it because they have not gone on sale anymore and their numbers are dwindling in the case. I am tempted to buy another at $100 because I heard the supply is drying up.

My M91/30 is a great rifle. It is a lot of fun to shoot. 440 round spam cans of 7.62x54R surplus ammo are very cheap and you can find it on-line from many different sources. I buy mine at the store where I bought my M91-30. When it goes one sale, I get it for $85 a can.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:11 PM   #17
chack

airborne, pure ammonia will destroy a rifle. that's really bad advice.

A diluted ammonia solution can be usedAs loong as you rince it out afterwards.

Pure ammonia is only available in industrial and chemical applications and is very difficult to work with. It has to be kept pressurized or below -24 degrees Celcius or it evaporates. Trying to buy it will get you flagged by DEA as a possible methamphetamine manufacturer.

At highly concentrated solutions in water it actually exhibits acidic properties and reacts with metal, causing damage to it.

Household ammonia is only about 5% concentration and is more than enough for cleaning. It can damage your gun too if you aren'y very careful.

The best thing to use is LOTS of hot water. Using a base to counteract the acid produced when the primer salts are hydrated is ok, but dissolving them in water and flushing them out is better.
Old September 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Darren007

Quote:
ammonia breaks down the salts that rust your parts.
*sigh* Ammonia has no effect on corrosive salt...

Quote:
airborne, pure ammonia will destroy a rifle. that's really bad advice.
This. Just use Hoppes #9 or water. The only purpose ammonia has ever had, even when cleaning out corrosive fouling, is on copper fouling.
Old September 4, 2011, 11:13 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
*sigh* Ammonia has no effect on corrosive salt...
It's been the "standard" for years. Ammonia/water mix, Windex w/ammonia.
Funny how so many can be so wrong for so long, and their guns didn't rust!
Maybe it's just the Hope's after the ammonia. Or just a good cleaning with anything.
Old September 5, 2011, 12:47 AM   #20
JustThisGuy

By the way, Mosin-Nagant 91/30's are designed to be most accurate when fired with the bayonet fixed.

If yours is not as accurate as you like without the bayonet, you might try affixing it and see if accuracy doesn't improve.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old September 5, 2011, 01:04 AM   #21
chack

the bayonet doesn't affect group size, but it does affect point of impact.
Old September 5, 2011, 03:40 AM   #22
bamaranger

kicker

I shoot a good bit, and the single Mosin I've shot kicked like a mule.

I suspect that much depends on ammo type. The new 150 gr or so silvertip surplus is likley milder than the heavy ball, yellow tip ammo we were shootng that day.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:36 AM   #23
cbuck

they kick like hell but are good reliable guns, and for around $200 you can get a rifle and about 500 rds to go play with
Old September 5, 2011, 04:41 PM   #24
JRI

That's interesting,I've shot my Mosins with heavy ball,light ball,and my handloads,to me,they are among the lightest recoiling rifles out of the 17 rifles I own. Try a M95 Steyr carbine in 8X56R,208 grain bullet at 2500,from the 6 3/4lb Steyr,tends to get your attention but still not bad,however,still not as bad as my H&H 700 Nitro Express.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:02 PM   #25
chack

Yeah, the M95 will definitely make you redefine "strong recoil"