The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 2011, 05:57 PM   #1
salvadore

p-22 help

i have a Walther P-22 that I purchased some years ago (4 digit sn). It worked like a charm for quite a while. The last 3 or 4 years it has had feeding problems, mostly the slide stopping forward movement with the round on its way to the chamber. Most of the time I can push the rear of the slide to chamber the round. Fewer times I get live round stove pipes. This started happening with both magazines in the same year. I note the ramp leads up to the sharp edge of the barrel where it appears the round hangs up also where the frame hump thingy engages the slide (technical talk)...I know this shooter has a somewhat spotty rep, however when it's working it's a hoot to shoot. (poetic) Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 25, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Loader9

My brother has one of those and it's reliability is not the best. If he doesn't keep it absolutely spotlessly clean, it malfunctions like yours. Might try giving it a good cleaning.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3
salvadore

Thanks Loader9, when I first started to have the problem I cleaned and lubed, when that didn't do it, I cleaned and lubed with ballistal, when that didn't work I tried cleaning and not lubing.

I was wondering if the slide return spring might have lost some of its oomph (technical talk), or the ramp barrel step...
Old August 19, 2011, 10:47 AM   #4
redneckerson38

If you haven't gotten it figured out yet, I would suggest you disassemble and cleaning the magazines really well and lightly lube, and make sure the follower slides smooth, with no resistance all the way up.
Old August 21, 2011, 05:24 PM   #5
rickb2202

p 22

mine started having stovepipeing problems about 5000 rounds in.if you will notice it came with a small wrench in the box.make sure it is unloaded, take the slide off and use the wrench to tighten the barrel. they are notorius for loosening up a bit on these little walthers.i applied a little blue loctite to the threads on mine the second time in.no problems since.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Try this forum: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...splay.php?f=48
There is a guy on there who literally wrote the P-22 Bible. You can even download a copy.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!