The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
ipscchef

My "New" lube for loading equipment, Good idea or not?

Hi guys.

I just wanted to tell everyone here, and get feedback from those of you who may know more than I about this sort of thing. I have been using "Universal Hydraulic Fluid" for lubing the ram on my old Rockchucker and my Lee Classic Turret for a while now and it seems to be working really well so far. A buddy of mine who is a machinest and ex- Marine reccomended it a while back. I also wipe down the outside of some of my older dies with it very sparingly, and then wipe it off mostly. Like I said, so far so good. It is the same thing I use in the HST tranny of my tractors and my UTV, (All Kubotas, BTW). If you buy the 5 gallon buckets, it becomes dirt cheap as lubes go. I have not used it on any firearms yet, but my buddy thinks that it is what KEL- Lube is, and thinks that the military uses it in many applications for light to medium lubrication. Any thoughts or problems that may arise? It does not seem to gunk up at all so far.

The only thing is that I really have no idea what it is made of, it feels like a synthetic oil to me.

Thanks,

Willy
Old July 16, 2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Longdayjake

It should work fine for anything except lubing your cases. It probably doesn't offer as much rust protection as an actual machine lube would. My guess is that it will work awesome for your application though.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:03 PM   #3
WANT A LCR 22LR

Regular hydraulic / tractor transmission oil can be considered generic "oil" when it comes to general lubrication. If it was a emulsion ( water based ), fire resistant fluid or some sort of super secret used in the SR70 Blackbird hyd oil, I'd stay away.

For the record standard automotive brake fluid is hydroscopic ( absorbs water ) so don't use that for lube as things will be rusty in a short time.
Old July 16, 2011, 10:51 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Automatic transmission fluid (atf) is similar to universal hydraulic fluid other than the chemicals added to make it perform in a specific transmission. Conventional automatic trannies are hydraulic pumps with clutches and other cool stuff but we're going to leave it at that. Universal fluid doesn't have a lot of additives so it costs less. I watched bullseye shooters use a concoction based on atf several years back, suspect they still do. Atf usually has detergent properties, if it helps keep trannies clean it may do the same with your reloading equipment. Keep it away from primers, it could have penetrating properties as well. There's so much chemistry in the petrochemical business these days I prefer to buy oils formulated to do the job at hand.
If you use up that whole 5-gallon bucket anytime soon I suspect you're using too much.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.

Last edited by TXGunNut; July 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old July 16, 2011, 11:57 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Hydraulic fluids are very good at penetrating into places you don't want oil.

...And even better, at stripping paint and other metal finishes. Follow the old recommendation of "Try in an inconspicuous place".

...And not the best lubricants. They're great at rust prevention, but crap for lubrication. I stick with lubricants that are better suited to the need at hand. (Grease, when needed. High viscosity oils, when needed. Low viscosity oils, when needed. And anything else that may be required.)

"WANT A LCR 22LR" - It's hygroscopic. You're mashing up 'hydrophobic' and 'hygroscopic'.
Old July 20, 2011, 05:58 PM   #6
sc928porsche

I lube my press ram and pivot points with STP.