The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2011, 07:11 AM   #26
SurplusShooter

Try shotguns you won't regret them.
Old July 15, 2011, 07:15 AM   #27
C0untZer0

As happens on this forum we often end up debating shades of meaning or bantering semantics. But I've always taken the myth of not having to aim a shotgun as meaning something akin to pointing a shotgun in the general direction of a bad guy and unfailingly flattening him with a volume of shot that put seemingly hundreds of holes in him from head to toe.

I think there is a scene in "Walking Tall" where a sawed off shotgun is fired and there is a wall that looks like it was about 150 meters from a detonated Claymore mine.

The more I think about it – the more nebulous a myth probably is to pin down. How can I account for whatever erroneous information people may have in their head? I once had someone tell me that the recoil on a .45 was so powerful that in order to hit a target you had to aim at the floor…

If people think that you can just fire a shotgun in the general direction of a BG and hit him… then probably a load like Wolf in a rifled barrel, using #2 or #4 Buck… there probably is a pretty good chance that you’ll hit him with at least one of those projectiles. Getting hit with just one projectile is unlikely to “stop” someone though… unlikely, statistically speaking to strike vital tissue.

But I think the myth is probably more along the line of creating a huge wall of lead, several feet across and several feet high that makes the perpetrator look like Swiss cheese..
Old July 15, 2011, 09:00 AM   #28
sheepman

Not sure why you would hate a shotgun, it is just another tool. I have little use for a rifle, and shoot mostly shotguns and handguns. Growing up on a sheep ranch in Washington state I carried a 357 all the time on the range and a 20ga single shot part of the time. All the coyotes that I shot with the 357 were 25 yds or more away, the ones that jumped up almost under my feet were never hit. The 20ga on the other hand was deadly on the coyotes that were up close.

It has been over 40 years since I left the ranch but I still shoot mostly hand guns and shotguns. Most of my shooting is action pistol or trap. I keep buying or trading into rifles only to sell or trade them off, just no into rifle shooting.

But I still do not hate rifles.
Old July 15, 2011, 09:08 AM   #29
jimbob86

Hating inanimate objects is irrational: see "Hoplophobe".

If you don't enjoy shotguns, don't use them.

No reason at all to get emotional about them.

I blame today's schools- they don't teach logic. Instead, they are all about the feelings.......
Old July 15, 2011, 12:41 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

Quote:
As happens on this forum we often end up debating shades of meaning or bantering semantics. But I've always taken the myth of not having to aim a shotgun as meaning something akin to pointing a shotgun in the general direction of a bad guy and unfailingly flattening him with a volume of shot that put seemingly hundreds of holes in him from head to toe.
You mean it doesn't! Maybe that accounts for my dismal trap scores. At least I have another excuse

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old July 15, 2011, 02:37 PM   #31
Hobie

Form follows function. Rational thought applies the correct tool to the problem/task. Failure to do that makes one irrational. Are you irrational?

Hobie
Shooting With Hobie
Old July 15, 2011, 03:39 PM   #32
C0untZer0

I know this:

A double tap from a 12ga is better than a double tap from my 9mm.

I have a lot more confidence that a BLAM BLAM with #1 Buck coming out of a 2¾ shell is going to end it, than I have faith that a BLAM BLAM with a handgun round is going to end it.
Old July 17, 2011, 09:11 PM   #33
anonymousFolk

@9-ball...

I do find it funny how entrenched we get in our camps; rifle, handgun, and shotgun.

Same thing other people said, different tools for different jobs. Planting seeds? Use a little shovel. Digging a hole? Use a normal shovel. Digging up big bushes or trees? Use a pick.

In a survival situation long-distance, I'll take a rifle over a shotgun, even if I got a scope and 32" rifled barrel with slugs. Just plain screwed vs rifle unless you have a rifle yourself at long distances.

In a home defense situation, shotgun is king. Huge firepower, huge damage, big shots, and if you don't get a long barrel or stock, mobility. There's no reason to learn double or triple tap...because all you need is a single tap.

Handguns...I'm on the fence. So many knives are out and in hand before anyone with a CCW in 15' has cleared leather. Sure handguns are convenient and concealable...unless you get something with decent firepower that could actually take someone out fast, and if you're getting a huge handgun, why didn't you just get a shotgun for those short distances?

Oh yah, shotgun can breach doors too.

Plus good luck hitting birds ducks geese or rabbits with a handgun or rifle vs a big ole cloud of lead put out of a shotgun.

Did I mention the price difference? Ease to learn? Easy to learn? Don't need pinpoint accuracy?

Anyways...hopefully one of the above can convince you. I'd like someone to convince me about handguns :P
Old July 17, 2011, 09:15 PM   #34
MLeake

9-ball,

If you don't want to hunt birds;

If you don't want to hunt big game in areas where rifles are not allowed, due to population density, but shotguns are (because projectiles don't carry nearly as far);

If you have no interest in trap, skeet, or sporting clays;

And if you aren't concerned with home defense, or allowed to use a shotgun for such purposes;

And if venomous snakes aren't an issue where you live;

Then you really don't have any need for a shotgun, so don't worry about it.

Last edited by MLeake; July 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling: game, not games
Old July 17, 2011, 09:39 PM   #35
*NOVA*

"I've been plagued with a weird hate for shotguns whole my life. I just can't stand the though of my rifle not making a clean single hole were I want it. Problem is, I do understand how versatile they are. Talk me out of it, please!"

My first post on this forum - so here goes ...OP says "..talk me out of it"

I like my 12 gauge shotgun. It is fun to shoot. It is a Mossberg 500 and has a Surefire light mounted on it when I use it for home defense with the 18" barrel. For fun at the range(and maybe one day I'll take it hunting) I mount the 24" ported rifled slug barrel. Mount a decent scope and shoot Remington Acutip sabot slugs gives me nice groups at 100 yards. Acutips make nice, clean and BIG holes. I also added a recoil supressing stock helps a lot and I do not shoot 3" shells, stick with the 2 3/4", so there's less shock to my shoulder. I would shoot slugs all day if they weren't so darn expensive!